PDA

View Full Version : My Essay on Hamlet *Im working on it some tips would be nice*

LilBoom
11-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Topic Overview : Sons seeking revenge, Hamlet, Fortinbras, and laertes. Vengence is the topic that i have decided to do. Hamlet wants revenge for his fathers death, as well as laertes and fortinbras.

Thesis: Fortinbras is more willing to avenge his father compared to Hamlet.

my thesis is ok for now but i feel i need to add more or re-state a better thesis...hmmmm

i've already jotted down some strong points like how fortinbras from the beginning of the play was planning to march into dennmark. Also how hamlet first questions the ghosts existence. Also how hamlet had a chance to kill claudius but he hesisated and pushed it off.

If anyone has tips or points that could help me i would really appreciate it.

LilBoom
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
i also have my introduction done and i will be typing it up later.

LilBoom
11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
i'll write out the intro sometime today.

Equality72521
11-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Ah, well....I don't really think that Fortinbras is more WILLING to avenge his father opposed to Hamlet. Hamlet just thinks things through way too much. I mean, he is trying to be absolutely certain it was his uncle who killed his father.

The entirety of Hamlet pretending to be mad, is to draw out any conclusions to his Unlce being the killer. And the preformance of the play within the play :p

They are both, completely willing, but go about it in different ways.

Just kind of what I remember from the play. I don't know if it will help, but it could be something to take in.

Gladys
11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Hamlet, perhaps more than Fortinbras, is wrapped up in considerations aside from vengeance: morality, love, loyalty, friendship, alienation, and meaning in life.

While his madness is ruse to hide his designs on uncle Claudius, even today his behaviour might well be dubbed 'mental illness' by psychiatrists not privy to his internal monologue, his noble mind.

LilBoom
11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Ah, well....I don't really think that Fortinbras is more WILLING to avenge his father opposed to Hamlet. Hamlet just thinks things through way too much. I mean, he is trying to be absolutely certain it was his uncle who killed his father.

The entirety of Hamlet pretending to be mad, is to draw out any conclusions to his Unlce being the killer. And the preformance of the play within the play :p

They are both, completely willing, but go about it in different ways.

Just kind of what I remember from the play. I don't know if it will help, but it could be something to take in.

Hamlet, perhaps more than Fortinbras, is wrapped up in considerations aside from vengeance: morality, love, loyalty, friendship, alienation, and meaning in life.

While his madness is ruse to hide his designs on uncle Claudius, even today his behaviour might well be dubbed 'mental illness' by psychiatrists not privy to his internal monologue, his noble mind.

ok Introductory paragraph is as follows but i need 3 main body paragraph points for a conclusion to prove my thesis statement.

Intro: Hamlet is a play written by william shakespear in the 1500's. It's a play that ends in tragedy. An important theme of the play and of the main character is revenge, as well as 2 other characters. Hamlet the tragic hero of the play is overcome by madness and revenge. Despite his thirst for revenge he fails to act on several occasions. He even denies the ghosts existence at first sight. Fortinbras the rising character of the tragic play, never hesitated to exact revenge. He always had the intention on claiming Denmark in honor of old Fortinbras his father. Fortinbras knew what his goal was and never lost sight of it. Fortinbras was willing to put soldiers on the frontline for his ambition
Thesis: Fortinbras is more willing to avenge his father than Hamlet is, this leads to Hamlets death and Fortinbra's rise to the throne.

whiteangel
01-01-2009, 09:39 PM
The mousetrap is not preformed because Hamlet wishes to delay his revenge but more so because Hamlet unlike Fortinbras does not make rash decisions and likes to think them through - it does not imply that Hamlet is "less willing" at all and to include that would weaken your essay.

you say he denies the Ghosts existance at first sight.
well the play was produced during the 1500s so a time were ghosts were viewed as unholy omens....spirits if you will....so it is only natural that our prince questions it's existence. I think what you are saying will become more clearly if you use points AFTER the mousetrap to explain Hamlet delaying his revenge - of course procrastination would be the main one.

It might be good to point out that the quest of vengeance leads to death for the two sons, and yet success for Fortinbras... it might be good to explore why -Laertes was to occupied with getting manipulated and following as a result "to thine own self be true" and Hamlet is to busy deciding is he should face his "sea of troubles" or allow himself to drown in the "sleep of death" - it is Fortinbras alone who is unstained both of thought and manipulation as a result of which he succeeds.

"seeking" is interesting. For Revenge is thrusted upon Hamlet- in the sense that he is ASKED to commit murder. But Fortinbras and Laertes have not been TOLD- making one question if Hamlet "seeks" revenge. I think not.

Looking at the two as Hamlet's foil would be a good point.
Looking at the three following their filial duty would be a good point