PDA

View Full Version : Best/recommended edition of Hamlet

Babyguile
11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi guys! I'm searching for one with spacious, clear formatting, short summaries of plot at the top of each page with some discussion prompts dotted here and there. I don't want one that has commentary and critique from just a single person, but one that adresses the basic, main themes, quesitons etc.

I wish I had my old A-level one still :(

Thanks! :)

mayneverhave
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Plot summaries? I'm not sure - the plot of the play isn't necessarily difficult enough to require summaries and I'm not sure which editions have them.

Personally I have both the Arden edition and the Norton edition, both of which are good - but the Arden edition is far more thorough in its annotations and textual analysis, so I recommend that one. Although because of its thoroughness, the Arden edition is anything but spacious (since the annotations usually take up half a page, with the play itself occupying the top half). In terms of spaciousness, the Norton is fine, but nothing would be better than a simple, unannotated edition, which, after becoming familiar enough with the text, is more than sufficient.