PDA

View Full Version : help anyone? research paper

tina88
11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas or books to get sources from dealing with the turn of the screw story and freudian ideas. i already checked freuds interpetation of dreams and it didnt help much. Any suggesstions?? thanks

aeroport
11-14-2008, 02:11 AM
The first instance of the Freudian reading, I believe, is Edna Kenton's essay 'Henry James to the Ruminant Reader: The Turn of the Screw', published in 1924 in a journal called The Arts. I don't know where to find the full text of it - my uni library doesn't appear to have it - but Edmund Wilson discusses it at some length as well in his essay 'The Ambiguity of Henry James', which can be found in the Library of America edition of his Literary Essays and Reviews: 1930s & 1940s, as part of a group of essays called 'The Triple Thinkers'.
There is also an essay by Robert B. Heilman called 'The Freudian Reading of The Turn of the Screw' which basically attacks that interpretation.

Check out the Norton Critical Edition of the book, if you can:http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Second-Norton-Critical-Editions/dp/039395904X
It includes excerpts from all of these, plus some others.

There is plenty of more recent criticism as well, but I don't know whether you'll be able to track it down or not. If you attend a university with a decent library and access to handy online databases like JSTOR and ProjectMuse, then you can definitely find lots more.

Hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

tina88
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks...I attempted thier database's but I need more book sources and don't really know what to use...thanks for the tip =) ill look into those.