PDA

View Full Version : Chapter V: The Cripple

mea505
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Note: This thread will be edited as the study continues with respect to chapter V.

Question: In part V of chapter V, why does the author have Mlle. Labyadkin tell "Shatushka" a number of stories (which are actually, for the most part, nothing more than dreams)? What is the significance of these dreams and why are they being told? Are they to be reflections to be used later in the book, or is she reflecting into the past?

As with the other chapters of this novel,, I will most likely re-read it for comprehension purposes. This novel is somewhat difficult to follow and fully understand because the author constantly inter-changed the Russian names for the characters. It will behoove most readers to follow suit, as the book is certainly not an easy one to understand during the first reading. Examples of this problem are mentioned throughout these threads and with respect to the next thread, next chapter and the following chapter, for those of you whom are following.

I am finding this novel to be extremely interesting and I enjoin others (for those of you who may also be reading the book) to come aboard with us and discuss the novel. We want to dissect it. There is one issue that concerns me at this point: it is supposed to be a politically-based novel, but thus far, I see only minute examples of politics within the text, and therefore, I am assuming that Nicholas, who is the main character of the book, comes out from behind his "mask" and shows his true self in the next section(s).

bazarov
11-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Something is wrong with your chapter - V/V is Stavrogin's return to his home.

mea505
11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
In my book, V/V is when Mlle. Ladyakin tells both Shatov and nMr. G__n a number of stories, which, according to Shatov, are really dreams.

mea505
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
In your book, in what part does the story take place (the dreams)?

bazarov
11-12-2008, 05:53 AM
I doubt that translator changed chapters :D

mea505
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
There seems to be a discrepancy between the two novels that are being read; one novel depicts one thing in part V of chapter V, whereas another copy of the same novel depicts something entirely different.

Who is the translator for your novel? Is it written in English, or another language?

bazarov
11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.online-literature.com/dostoevsky/the-possessed/

Try to write something from that chapter to search bar and then leave a proper link so I'll check it out.

I doubt that my Croatian translation by Ivan and Jakša Kušan is different from yours. Chapters, of course. :D

mea505
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I was not able to conduct the search as you suggested; I tried a couple of ways. One method I used was to place a sentence in the search bar (I used the first sentence for the first paragraph, first page of chapter V, part V, and it returned with no results). I also tried simply typing "Part V, chapter V," and again, nothing was returned in the search.

In any event, the first sentence for the first paragraph of Chapter V, Part V, reads as follows:

==> The Lebyadkin's door was shut but not locked, and we were able to go in.

What does your book state?

Do me a favor: e-mail me privately. When my other machine stopped working, I lost your e-mail address, and I want to ask you a question that might not specifically pertain to this study. Thanks. Mark

bazarov
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Chapter IV/4 on this site

The Lebyadkins' door was shut but not locked, and we were able to go in. Their lodging consisted of two nasty little rooms, with smoke-begrimed walls on which the filthy wall-paper literally hung in tatters. It had been used for some years as an eating-house, until Filipov, the tavern-keeper, moved to another house. The other rooms below what had been the eating-house were now shut up, and these two were all the Lebyadkins had. The furniture consisted of plain benches and deal tables, except for an old arm-chair that had lost its arms. In the second room there was the bedstead that belonged to Mile. Lebyadkin standing in the corner, covered with a chintz quilt; the captain himself went to bed anywhere on the floor, often without undressing.

But, in my book it's IV/5. For some reason, on this forum version 4 and 5 are together. Strange!

Chapter IV/4 on this site

The Lebyadkins' door was shut but not locked, and we were able to go in. Their lodging consisted of two nasty little rooms, with smoke-begrimed walls on which the filthy wall-paper literally hung in tatters. It had been used for some years as an eating-house, until Filipov, the tavern-keeper, moved to another house. The other rooms below what had been the eating-house were now shut up, and these two were all the Lebyadkins had. The furniture consisted of plain benches and deal tables, except for an old arm-chair that had lost its arms. In the second room there was the bedstead that belonged to Mile. Lebyadkin standing in the corner, covered with a chintz quilt; the captain himself went to bed anywhere on the floor, often without undressing.

But, in my book it's IV/5. For some reason, on this forum version 4 and 5 are together. Strange!

Shatushka is Shatov, she calls him like that from love toward him; I don't know what's English word for that.
She is crazy and part of that dream talks about her past and Stavrogin; what is actually a sin of others.

P.S. Don't edit posts like that, write a new one or add something; don't just delete old questions.

mea505
11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
OK, I will no longer edit the posts -- I will simply add to the threads by using the replies.

Your analysis of the text is interesting, indeed! I am convinced that the two different translations (or perhaps more translations) are quite dissimilar, probably in more ways than we know. We need to keep this in mind when we are talking about the novel, realizing that there is a possibility that, while we might be talking about the same chapter, same part, the texts could actually be quite dissimilar. I am not sure why this is so.

I am planning to go to the local bookstore tomorrow; perhaps I might be able to obtain yet another translation of the novel. Currently, I have two of them, and they are remarkably dissimilar, specifically with respect to the titles of the chapters, as well as the novel itself.

I want to thank you for all of your help to date! Without your help, I probably would not be able to continue with this novel. This novel is not as difficult as "The Idiot," which is a remarkable novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-- Mark

bazarov
11-14-2008, 05:50 AM
If you're interested in Idiot
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37767

No need for thanking me, I am enjoying it myself too.:)

mea505
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I just took a look at "The Idiot" threads. There are a lot of people involved with that book (or, were involved with it at one time). Some people posed some excellent questions and made some excellent comments about the novel. I was just in the midst of looking for my own copy, as I cannot seem to locate it. I also seem to have misplaced my own copy of "Crime and Punishment."

mea505
11-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Where are you with respect to the novel? What Chapter, what Section?:yawnb:

bazarov
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Part II, Chapter VI, according to forum version - PYOTR STEPANOVITCH IS BUSY.