PDA

View Full Version : Live Discussions

Scheherazade
02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I am hoping to arrange live discussions on MSN, YIM or another Instant Messaging medium during the last week of each month (preferably the weekend) for those who contribute to discussion thread during the month.
*The aim would be to chat and exchange views on the monthly book and literature (and life) in general
*It would last couple of hours
*It would be on invite-only basis.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

papayahed
02-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Do I have to participate in the website discussion?
Do I have to prove that I'm reading the book?
If I don't read the book, can I still be invited?
What time of day will the discussion be held?
If I go to the live discussion do I have to say anything?

Sounds like fun.

Scheherazade
02-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Do I have to participate in the website discussion?
Yes, to make sure that only those who are really intersted in discussions will take part, that would be necessary I think.

Do I have to prove that I'm reading the book? Not really, but otherwise you might be bored.

If I don't read the book, can I still be invited? Invitations will be issued only to those who participate in the Forum discussions during the month. So without reading probably it would be difficult to contribute.

What time of day will the discussion be held?Not sure at the moment but sometime suitable for all of us around the world. Maybe lunch time USA, which would make it early evening for the UK and night time in AUS. We will discuss this later on if there is enough participation.

If I go to the live discussion do I have to say anything?You don't have to say anything of course but that would beat the purpose? :)

Sounds like fun. It was Honourable Logos' who gave me the idea initially actually so we have to thank him! :D

Taliesin
02-11-2005, 03:36 PM
But we live in different time zones. How can one join a discussion that takes place at like 03:15?

EDIT: But generally, We like the idea.

mono
02-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I find it a very good idea (and, in fact, had a similar idea once too); I cannot wait!

Scheherazade
02-11-2005, 06:31 PM
But we live in different time zones. How can one join a discussion that takes place at like 03:15?
Tal, as far as I am aware Estonia is GMT +2 so it would be early evening or so for you but we will discuss the time once we agree on the idea.

Jester
02-12-2005, 07:19 PM
thats a good idea scher...!!!

subterranean
02-12-2005, 11:06 PM
*****yawns******

Stanislaw
02-14-2005, 05:27 PM
I would be interested in such an activity, now would it be one large discussion, or a melee of independant ones?

Scheherazade
02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I am hoping that it will be one large discussion where we can exchange ideas as a group simultaneously so the discussion would move on smoothly;pretty much like everyday chats with friends. :)

Logos
02-14-2005, 05:58 PM
I won't be participating in this, and I'm not sure exactly how you set it up, but it is possible to have one main chat window open for multiple people to chat in, so everyone can see what everyone else is typing. But I'm sure Scheherazade knows how to do that :)

Stanislaw
02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
depending on how many people are participating, it could get pretty chaotic!

Scheherazade
02-14-2005, 06:25 PM
yes, it would depend on how many people are willing to take part but if you have been to normal chatrooms, sometimes even with 20+ people, it is possible to have decent chats but I doubt we will be reaching such a number initially!

Stanislaw
02-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Good point, generally the responses are limited to about 5 people! :D

Jay
02-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Now that's a nice way to make people read and participate in the book club :D, I think it's going to work even better than KitKats... or maybe even shiny stickers :p

subterranean
02-16-2005, 02:01 AM
**** yawns ****

Jay
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
You're at work, you should be wide awake or you could choke on your coffee! Wakey Sub :p

subterranean
02-17-2005, 12:39 AM
You know Jay, 'tis good that this forum has such a nice person as you ;)..you know, to balance persons such as me..

Stanislaw
02-17-2005, 11:17 AM
It would be very depressing if everyone was as optimistic as SubT :D :D :D

subterranean
02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
:D :D :D...Stan, you're very nice as well :nod:

Scheherazade
02-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Last night, with couple of Forum members we tried using MSN instant messaging for a group chat and it seems to be working fine! So, we are all ready and set for our first Book Club live chat next week! :)
Regarding the chat, I recommend that the rules of the Forum in general should apply and everyone should use their own Forum nickname on the chat as well to prevent any confusions.

Any other questions/suggestions?

subterranean
02-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Since I live in the other part of the world, 'tis very hard for me to join. So have a good time everyone.

Scheherazade
02-21-2005, 05:23 AM
The live chat is open only to those who participate in Forum discussions. We are choosing a time which would be suitable for everyone around the world. However, thank you very much, Sub. Our trial run went really well so it seems like it will be fun. :)

subterranean
02-21-2005, 05:50 AM
.......point taken

The live chat is open only to those who participate in Forum discussions.

Scheherazade
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
We have had our first Book Club Live Chat (LOTF) today. It went really well;informative and fun. Thank you all those who participated! Looking forward to the next one! :nod:

monaliza
02-27-2005, 08:44 PM
hey,i'm happy to know that the first live conversation was good,and me too hope to be done again and again.But i want to inquire was it on msn and many ppl were talking on one chat window,i mean u invited ppl who sign online,or was it in a more or less public chat room with password 4 ex (like in Pal Talk) or what exactly?
Congratulations again--

Scheherazade
02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Thank you very much, Mona. It was on MSN, all of us talking in the same window. Maybe you can join us in future, too. :)

monaliza
02-27-2005, 09:05 PM
may be :) thanks alot

R. Schmidt
02-28-2005, 11:03 PM
What happened to the posts featuring the "highlights" of the live discussion?

Scheherazade
03-01-2005, 01:50 AM
They will be posted under TLOF thread soon.