PDA

View Full Version : Chapter II: Prince Harry, Matchmaking

mea505
11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Chapter II of "Demons" is entitled "Prince Harry, Matchmaking." For those who know a little bit about Shakespeare, why is Nicholas called "Prince Harry?"

What is the significance of the author telling us about Nicholas performing the number of actions, which are later determined to be caused by a "brain fever," such as pulling Mr. Gaganov by the nose, about two or three feet, while in the club? What about when "Prince Harry" kisses the wife of Mr. Lupitin? And, then what does it mean when "Prince Harry" then bites the ear of the govenor?

I am particularly interested in the above material, because it has a direct bearing on the rest of the chapter. If anyone can address these issues, I would be indebted to him or her.

Thanks,

Mark

bazarov
11-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Chapter II of "Demons" is entitled "Prince Harry, Matchmaking." For those who know a little bit about Shakespeare, why is Nicholas called "Prince Harry?"

What is the significance of the author telling us about Nicholas performing the number of actions, which are later determined to be caused by a "brain fever," such as pulling Mr. Gaganov by the nose, about two or three feet, while in the club? What about when "Prince Harry" kisses the wife of Mr. Lupitin? And, then what does it mean when "Prince Harry" then bites the ear of the govenor?

I don't know, I haven't read that play; sorry.
Brain fever - Dostoevsky liked that symptom :D Raskolnikov, Myshkin, Ivan Karamazov and Stavrogin - they all suffered from it.
If someone make few unreasonable and mean acts, you think that he is bad and that man is generally disliked. But, if it turns out it was some mental illness, you will momentarily forgive him and feel sorry or pity for him and his illness. Instead of disrespect, Stavrogin gained respect and some reputation. Although, I think Dosotevsky wanted to tell us that Stavrogin just isn't normal, and we shouldn't take his illness for excuse; he probably did that for fun and then made brain fever like good reason for his acts.

Truthlover
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
It seems to me that the comparison between the two (Prince Harry and Nicholas Stavrogin) is meant as an irony. Prince Harry purposely lowered the expectations of his contemporaries so that he could later emerge as the leader in England in a way that would be unhindered by public opinion. He thought this would make him freer to be the kind of King he chose to be. Things turn out all right for Harry. But, in the case of Stavrogin, you find him "lowering" people's opinion of him by his sociopathic behavior, but we never find him becoming the moral hero Prince Harry eventually became. This ploy on the part of Dostoyevsky helps us to focus on what Stavrogin's personal intentions might be.

I am still in Part I, chapter 3, "Another Man's Sins", so I am wondering what will become of Stavrogin. I foresee his "confession" will reveal his underlying motivations, which are probably those of a 'possessed' man (whence the title of the book).

Dante80
03-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Started this novel yesterday, after postponing it for almost a year now. Having read TBK, C&P, the Idioit and some of his smaller works I put this one aside after what I heard about it being his hardest and most difficult novel.

But after finishing the two first chapters I am reminded that Dostoevsky never wrote particularly difficult:)

I feel that I got a real good start on the novel and I`m really looking forward to the rest.
Have a feeling this novel could be a peak in my Dotstomania.