PDA

View Full Version : Dire need of a little assistance pretty please!

nice_hair
11-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm doing an a level course in eng lit and we're studying Hamlet. For our coursework i have chosen the question,
"How important is revenge as a motivating factor in the Shakespearean tragedy you are studying?"

I'm majorly struggling on this as we've been focusing on the link between aristotle's theory of tragedy and how it links in with Hamlet. I cant seem to get my head round how to write my coursework and what parts of Hamlet to concentrate on. I feel so silly not being able to do it as everyone else in my class has already finished theirs, but ive got such a creative block I havent even reached 600 words! ANY HELP! would be greatly appreciated as English is what I hope to pursue as a career, and if I cant put this work together, I'm in big trouble. HELP asap HELP asap HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
xc.

Gladys
11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
How important is revenge as a motivating factor in the Shakespearean tragedy you are studying? The play begins with the ghost of Hamlet's murdered father, whose message to his son cries for vengeance against Claudius, now King of Denmark. How should Hamlet, the faithful son, proceed? This problematic question of revenge is the core of the play.

Here's several points on 'revenge' and Hamlet's motivation:

Can I be sure that the vengeful ghost is credible (and not from hell)?

Should I take bold but rash action to right wrongs (kill Claudius) or live peaceably among men?

Should I live at all in this harsh world (suicide)?

Is Claudius really guilty of regicide?

Should I kill him in prayer (while penitent)?

How should I treat the royal appeasers: Gertrude, Polonius, Ophelia, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?

What is murder (the deaths of Polonius, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern)?

What is love (I loved Ophelia)?

What about the wronged, vengeance seeking Laertes?

In finally killing Claudius, what were my motivations (a poisoned mother, a defiled mother, treachery with a poison-tipped foil)?

Is the Norwegian avenger, Fortinbras, friend or foe?

nice_hair
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Ahhhh thank you so much! this has helped a great deal. xc.