PDA

View Full Version : hamlet and oedipus

igle
11-01-2008, 05:17 PM
anyone can explain me the relationship between hamlet and his mother?there is something of oedipicus in him?
in what chapeter can I find an hamlet discourse about his mother in this oedipicus sense?
Thanks a lot:yawnb:

mayneverhave
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I personally don't adhere to the Freudian analysis of the play - theses should be drawn from the play, not brought from elsewhere to the play.

That aside, Hamlet's confrontation with his mother takes place in 3.4.

As for your question: "there is something of oedipicus [sic] in him?"

Perhaps. I do not personally think so, but then again I've heard crazier theories. There are many complexities and shades to the character of Hamlet. I'm not convinced that a subconscious desire to plough his mother is one of them.

whiteangel
01-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Ernest Jones's essay is amazing for this topic - read that and you will understand.

kelby_lake
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
I think Hamlet is disturbed/revolted by his mother's sexuality and that this has coloured all his female relationships since (presumably he'd seen/heard of Gertrude and Claudius having an affair because otherwise it could have simply been an arrangement). He's more Puritanical than repressed.

kelby_lake
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
There are many complexities and shades to the character of Hamlet. I'm not convinced that a subconscious desire to plough his mother is one of them.

He certainly has an obsession with his mother and her sexual relationships though. I don't think that he subconsciously wants one with her but he is too immature to have his own.

Tournesol
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I think Hamlet is being protective of his mother, especially since the murder of his father. He feels that he is her protector. I don't think that there is anything of Oedipus in him.
And I agree with 'mayneverhave' - I wouldn't take a Freudian analysis of this play; the play has enough material to stand its own analysis.

Hawkman
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I think the point is being missed here. Hamlet was the son of the king. The crown should have come to him. His mother, by marrying his uncle, legitamised his uncles' userpation of the crown. Hamlet feels betrayed by the mother he loves, and that's before he realises his uncle murdered his father. When he finds this out he is doubly enraged at his mother's betrayal. There is nothing more than normal philial devotion in the relationship between mother and son though.

It should be remembered that at in Tudor times, marrying your brother's wife would have been viewed as incestuous. If you detect revulsion at his mother's sexuality, this would be the cause.