PDA

View Full Version : plz. help :Need a quote/passage that illuminates the work as a whole

dean88
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi.
I was having trouble with the book and am having a hard time writing my paper. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a passage or quote in the book that illuminates the work as a whole. I have a lot of specific quotes or short passages in mind but can’t find one that I can use and relate to entire novel. Thank your before hand and any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

j.k.taylor
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Dean, the passage that sums up several of the themes of Heart of Darkness, and is the climax of the story, is Kurtz's last words, "the horror, the horror." this could mean several things. a) kurtz has deemed horrible his corrupt actions, so that "his judgement upon the adventures of his soul on this earth" is an "affirmation, a moral victory." this view is not very likely. b)Kurtz deemed horrible the temtations to which he succumbed, the whisper had "the strange commingling of desire and hate. c) kurtz deemed horrible the inner nature of all mankind, "no eloquence could have been quite so withering as his final burst of sincerity, when he looked into all the hearts that beat in the darkness." d) Kurtz deems horrible the entire universe, 'that wide stare embracing condemning, and loathing the entire universe, ..... The horror!' the cry thus serves as a climactic nexus. i hope this the info that you needed! ( i just wrote a paper on this myself.) good luck on your paper, and God bless!