PDA

View Full Version : Isolation and frustration

beaky
10-26-2008, 03:14 PM
One view of Shirley which I discovered while rooting around on the net, and with which I heartily agree to a certain extent, is the way in which the novel exemplifies the mood of frustrated ambitions, particularly with regard to industry and trade, prevalent in England during the time of the Napoleonic war. Essentially the characters' inability to act in any meaningful sense reflects the inability of the nation to defeat Napoleon (we're talking prior to the victories of 1814 here I'm assuming) which has the knock on effect of stifling trade and industry by denying trade with mainland Europe. This is why Robert Moore, for example, decides to propose to Shirley i.e. not because of any feelings of love but because of her wealth. It is also why Moore opposes the war, rather than supporting a continued fight against Napoleon. The war is killing his business.

Running alongside this is the theme of the inaction of women. Shirley is the main character precisely because she as a single woman of some wealth stands out in opposition to the general trend of women being supported by men, rather than being independent. This also allows a comparison between the exploitation of women and the exploitation of the working class by the rich mill owners.

There is also a small but interesting leaning towards a more anti-Christian, or Pagan, understanding of nature represented by Shirley and Caroline's refusal to attend church. This might have been Emily's influence at work here, but I'm just guessing here.

:yawnb:

dramasnot6
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I question what you mean by the 'inaction of women.' Also, are you suggesting that Shirley was not economically dependent on men because she was of the upper class?