PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Ivan?

roseytrebles
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
One other question--you can see what I'm most concerned with, heheh--

What do you think happens to Ivan after the novel ends? Does he get better in any sense, or does he die?

What drives me insane about this is the fact that Dostoevsky meant to write at least one more book about Alyosha so he must have actually meant to answer what happens to everyone at the end of The Brothers Karamazov.

bazarov
10-23-2008, 05:08 AM
I doubt that anyone in Russian novels gets better at the end :D
He probably dies. Alyosha? Yes, pity will never find out his story till the end.

heidibellepsalm
11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I was also wondering about Ivan....dying with the kiss still glowing in his heart~

I bought the book from Barnes and Noble, underlined things, wrote in it and got to the end to find that the last chapters had actually been deleted from it's printing! So i took it back and they gave me another one, but I had to give them the book with all of my notes.
I finished the book, and still no resolution!!
It didn't hit me right away..just randomly I would think about it and realize that I never knew what had happened to Ivan, or Dmitri. I think I even thought about Alyosha and Lise. Finally tonight I decided to get online and try to figure it out. Your question mirrored my own and the explanation that he was planning on writing a second novel about Alyosha seems to be the answer...my sister and I once watched "Dr. Zhivago" --a movie about a famous Russian novel--and when we got to the end after hours and hours, we weren't able to decide what it was really about. lol.
i think we were teenagers then and just too used to Hollywood, i guess.

anyways...