PDA

View Full Version : Willoughby's actions and Elinor's forgiveness

julesb218
10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Why do you guys think that Elinor was able to forgive Willoughby when he comes and thinks Marianne is dying? He is sorry, but it seems because he didn't do the thing that would bring himself the most comfort. If you look at his "excuses," they are just blaming others for his actions. Elinor and Marianne feel bad for him, but then Elinor tells Marianne he is selfish. Her actions there don't follow with what she thought and felt previously.

Kumo
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't necessarily think that Elinor forgave Willoughby. I think the thing that changed her mind about him the most was finding out that he did indeed love Marianne--that he wasn't just playing her the whole time. I think that she also pitied him, for ending up in a situation that was miserable. It was an advantageous marriage, which was what Willoughby wanted certainly, but it left him unable to act on his love for Marianne. For Elinor, a trap like that would seem unbearable, considering her affection for her sister, and I think she can sympathize with Willoughby's situation. But I don't think that she forgives him. She even says, "'You are very wrong, Mr. Willoughby, very blameable.'"