PDA

View Full Version : B N W Anthropology connection

solarant
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I am trying to make a connection(s) between Huxley's "Brave
new world" and Anthropology, let it be culturally or linguistically or ethnocentric etc
If possible could you please give me your varied opinions and why you think BNW
is intrinsically linked to Anthropology.

I am doing a study on links between cult novels and their connection with culture, all ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely.
Robert Boyd.

The Atheist
10-07-2008, 04:15 AM
I am trying to make a connection(s) between Huxley's "Brave
new world" and Anthropology, let it be culturally or linguistically or ethnocentric etc
If possible could you please give me your varied opinions and why you think BNW
is intrinsically linked to Anthropology.

I am doing a study on links between cult novels and their connection with culture, all ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely.
Robert Boyd.

I'd venture that cultural comparison would be one major area linking the two, with BNW useful in examining the likely effects of a primitive person on joining modern civilisation. Primitive people still exist in a few remote parts of the world now and the difference between a hunter-gatherer and the western world in 2008 is large.

One other very British link is E B Tylor, who was a contemporary of Huxley's childhood and whose writings would have been somewhere close to Huxley's studies. You could argue that Utopia was an extension of Tylor's "uniformity of mankind" as well.