PDA

View Full Version : April '05 Book Nominations

Scheherazade
02-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Please post your nominations (one nomination from each member) for April reading here till the end of February and note that first 10 books will be included in the poll.

Bongitybongbong
02-01-2005, 08:02 AM
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Scheherazade
02-01-2005, 10:45 AM
This time are you gonna vote for it, Bong? ;)

Stanislaw
02-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Conan The Destroyer

Jester
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Bill Bryson's A short History of Nearly everything or Dante's Inferno (not both , unless someone else seconds both of these!)

Bongitybongbong
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
This time are you gonna vote for it, Bong? ;)
Yeah I will.

Jay
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Jack And Jill - Louisa May Alcott
A friend mentioned it and she said it was pretty good

amuse
02-02-2005, 09:41 PM
it is! d'you want me to vote for it too, Jay? ;)
btw, sorry re: all my classes...

Scheherazade
02-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Conan The Destroyer

We should watch the video as well after reading Conan.. or maybe we can invite Arnie for a special reading session! :D

Stanislaw
02-03-2005, 11:22 AM
That would be pretty cool! :thumbs_up

the book is by Robert Jordan, btw.

Jay
02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
it is! d'you want me to vote for it too, Jay? ;)
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESYES

any more hints needed? :D

nothingman87
02-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Seize the Day by Saul Bellow

crisaor
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
The voting for March hasn't ended yet (still almost a month to go), and the voting for April is open now? I'm confused as to why the need to rush things so much.

Jester
02-03-2005, 08:36 PM
this is just hte nomination, my guess is that we have the end of the month to nominate things and then all of march to vote for april jsut like we have all of feb to vote for march book, but if thats the case, why'd we start voting for march in january?

Scheherazade
02-04-2005, 05:40 AM
The voting for March hasn't ended yet (still almost a month to go), and the voting for April is open now? I'm confused as to why the need to rush things so much.
Crisaor, this is only a nomination thread;we will not be starting voting for April till March. Every month, we are nominating books for two months later, voting for the following month and read that month's books. It is an on-going process as it is clearly stated in the Club rules.

why'd we start voting for march in january?
We started voting for March book early because
1. we had reached the maximum 10 nominations limit
2. with 10 books to choose from, I thought we might need longer time to vote but there has been a greater response than I expected. Thank you! :)

However, if this is causing confusion, from now on we will start voting at the beginning of each month and have only a month to vote regardless of the number of nominations.

Aye? :)

Adelheid
02-04-2005, 06:36 AM
How about 'Heidi grows up' by Charles Tritten? :-) It is the sequel to Heidi by Johanna Spryi, and I enjoyed that book.

P.S. I'm new at this, so does this forum have to have that particular book before you can vote for it?

Scheherazade
02-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Wecome to the Club, Adelheid. You can nominate any book you would like to read whether it is available on the site or not. Most either get the copy of the chosen book from a library or buy one.

mister_noel_y2k
02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
the phantom of the opera by gaston leroux :banana:

Taliesin
02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
"Sophie's World" - Jostein Gaarder

When we continue at this rate, we will have chosen the books for the next five years in this month.

crisaor
02-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Crisaor, this is only a nomination thread;we will not be starting voting for April till March. Every month, we are nominating books for two months later, voting for the following month and read that month's books. It is an on-going process as it is clearly stated in the Club rules.
My mistake, I wanted to say nominations, sorry. Still, my ¿question? remains. It's not that I fail to comprehend the rules, it's just that I don't see how this is an improvement or how it is helpful for the book club. I can only speak for myself in this matter, but the fact that things tend to get quicker is kind of a letdown for me. The agenda for the next two months is pretty much decided already, but I've yet to see any development. For example, one of the last nominations consisted only in two books, very few people felt encouraged to participate, including myself. I see the book club not only as an opportunity to discuss a specific book, but also as a mild incentive to read a book within a certain period of time, a sort of commitment. If the pace quickens everyday, I find it very difficult to not disregard it and dedicate to other business. Of course, this hardly qualifies as a motive for anything, but still, I preferred to express my opinion of the matter, regardless.

subterranean
02-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Im with you Cris. People love to vote, yet hardly everyone who votes join the discussion.

Scheherazade
02-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Crisaor,
there has been no changes in the Book Club procedures;as you can see here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856), we are following the original rules and reading one book every month. When you feel that the number of books nominated is not enough, maybe you can, too, personally contribute to make sure that there will be more to choose from. Also, the discussion threads are open for unlimited time, which makes it possible for those who finish the books later than others still to contribute, discuss and post messages.

Sub,
It would be nice for everyone to vote and read the books but for whatever reason, they do/cannot, we are not in a position to force them. Afterall, we read the books for ourselves.

Please note that this thread is for April nominations only. If you would like to make further suggestions, please post them at this thread (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3721), which has been open since January.

Jester
02-05-2005, 04:44 PM
oh i don't mind, just curious, what ever way works best...!!

Logos
02-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Yes crisaor, currently there is a Poll for which (out of the ten already nominated books) will be read for March.

And the Nomination thread for ten books that will be Polled on for April's book.

So at any given time there will be current threads for the 2 months in advance nominating and 1 month in advance polling which seems to be the way it's always been done, though a little haphazardly at times. And a current book discussion topic.

This forum is getting bigger and bigger with more and more members, so, yes it's a bit confusing or overwhelming at times as we all get used to more activity but I think Scheherazade has been doing a fine job of organising and getting things rolling here with the book club.

mono
02-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I think Scheherazade has been doing a fine job of organising and getting things rolling here with the book club.
Nicely said, Logos; Scher has done very well so far as the book club moderator - a wonderful job.

mister_noel_y2k
02-06-2005, 06:56 PM
conan the destroyer? hmm.....

:banana:

subterranean
02-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Cris, would you like to go out and have a cup of tea with me.....

My mistake, I wanted to say nominations, sorry. Still, my ¿question? remains. It's not that I fail to comprehend the rules, it's just that I don't see how this is an improvement or how it is helpful for the book club. I can only speak for myself in this matter, but the fact that things tend to get quicker is kind of a letdown for me. The agenda for the next two months is pretty much decided already, but I've yet to see any development. For example, one of the last nominations consisted only in two books, very few people felt encouraged to participate, including myself. I see the book club not only as an opportunity to discuss a specific book, but also as a mild incentive to read a book within a certain period of time, a sort of commitment. If the pace quickens everyday, I find it very difficult to not disregard it and dedicate to other business. Of course, this hardly qualifies as a motive for anything, but still, I preferred to express my opinion of the matter, regardless.

crisaor
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
So at any given time there will be current threads for the 2 months in advance nominating and 1 month in advance polling which seems to be the way it's always been done, though a little haphazardly at times. And a current book discussion topic.
Maybe you're right, maybe there is a need to do more things with the increase forum members and all, but I can sure tell you, it was never the "way it's always been done". There's a change of style, that's fine, most people seem to like it, but why pretend to disguise it?
Anyway, thanks for replying.

Cris, would you like to go out and have a cup of tea with me.....
Sure Sub, I'd love to, although I believe that would cost one of us a lot of money. :rolleyes:

amuse
02-07-2005, 07:04 PM
ooh, this is great! i saw we fly to sub, crisaor, because i'm to have tea with her and you coffee. though if you and i were to have a beverage it would be all up in the air again. *zooom, said the airplanes!

subterranean
02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Sure Sub, I'd love to, although I believe that would cost one of us a lot of money. :rolleyes:

Oh please...you'd love to but you gave me that roll eyes...We agree on something here, so I think we should go out and talk about it..Not that it's a very serious issue, but I think a cup of tea would gives us the day ;)

Posted by Asha : ooh, this is great! i saw we fly to sub, crisaor, because i'm to have tea with her and you coffee. though if you and i were to have a beverage it would be all up in the air again. *zooom, said the airplanes!

No Ash, you got that wrong.. Tea with Cris and coffee with you. :D...Though I don't mind the 3 of us going out together as long as you both still use ENGLISH in the conversation...;)

subterranean
02-07-2005, 08:18 PM
This forum is getting bigger and bigger with more and more members, so, yes it's a bit confusing or overwhelming at times as we all get used to more activity but I think Scheherazade has been doing a fine job of organising and getting things rolling here with the book club.

Getting bigger with more members, YES. But getting bigger with discussions in the forum book club, I DONT THINK SO.

Jay
02-07-2005, 08:25 PM
And they say I'm paranoid :p

Logos
02-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Getting bigger with more members, YES. But getting bigger with discussions in the forum book club, I DONT THINK SO.

Well, now that there is an official moderator for the Book Club Forum to try to instill some consistency in the way things are done from how they were done, hopefully that will change :)

Jay
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Depends on what you mean by 'getting bigger with discussion'. Even though there's a mod she can't make people 1) read the book, 2) discuss it.

subterranean
02-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey just stating my point...Logos said : This forum is getting bigger and bigger with more and more members, so, yes it's a bit confusing or overwhelming at times as we all get used to more activity ..

What sort of "more activities" anyway?

Jay
02-07-2005, 08:42 PM
More activity as in more members talking I guess, taking part in the forum's 'life'.

Logos
02-07-2005, 09:02 PM
"More activity" ie: Scheherazade keeping things organised around here and yes more topics and discussions going on.

subterranean
02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Well I don't see any "more activities" in the forum book club discussions, except the nomination race and 'give your vote' thing..

Ok, I'll shup up now

Bongitybongbong
02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I've participated in the discussion for Lord of the Flies.

Scheherazade
02-08-2005, 02:55 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their input. Please post your further comments here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3721) as this thread is only for April nominations.

Jester
02-09-2005, 05:44 PM
hi scher.... I'll withdraw my nomination of bryson's short history of nearly everything, and instead nominate the seventh son, that was on a previous nomination list i know... but i still want to read it!!

Bongitybongbong
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm going to withdraw House of Mirth because I probably won't vote for it.

Bongitybongbong
02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah it's cool with me.

subterranean
02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Siddartha by Hermman Hesse

baddad
02-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Conan The Destroyer

*hahahahahah*......ooooohhh!.......sorry Stan, though you were kidding until I paged down and saw your next post........Conan eh? Hmmmmmm......

subterranean
02-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Is it ok if I just vote and not participate in the discussion?

mono
02-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Good suggestion, sub! I will vote for this one.

Stanislaw
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
*hahahahahah*......ooooohhh!.......sorry Stan, though you were kidding until I paged down and saw your next post........Conan eh? Hmmmmmm......

no no, I wasn't kidding, it is really a good book, better than the movie, all and all. But then again, I do read weird stuff! :D Just thought it would be a break from all of this 'heavy' reading! :nod:

subterranean
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I have silly experience yesterday. After reading some of the nominees in this thread, I called ony of my colleques (sp) in Dublin, Ireland. Her name is Luisa Otero, but when I called, I acciddently said " Goodmorning, may I speak to Miss Louisa May Alcott please?" :blush:

This is what happened when mixing work and play :D

Jay
02-26-2005, 08:21 AM
hehehe *coughs* Louisa May Alcott was sooo not my nomination :D

mono
02-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I have silly experience yesterday. After reading some of the nominees in this thread, I called ony of my colleques (sp) in Dublin, Ireland. Her name is Luisa Otero, but when I called, I acciddently said " Goodmorning, may I speak to Miss Louisa May Alcott please?"
What an interesting literary Freudian slip!

amuse
02-26-2005, 10:31 PM
nice avatar, mono!

baddad
02-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Hey Mono, would you mind explaining the Sylvia Plath quote you have there (maybe some context) and save me the trouble of further contemplation......it seems to have a quality I find somewhat........eerie...

mono
02-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks amuse. ;)
Hello, baddad. I found this Sylvia Plath poem, "An Appearance," while paging through a copy of her Collected Poems, published, I believe, after her death by Ted Hughes.

An Appearance

The smile of iceboxes annihilates me.
Such blue currents in the veins of my loved one!
I hear her great heart purr.

From her lips ampersands and percent signs
Exit like kisses.
It is Monday in her mind: morals

Launder and present themselves.
What am I to make of these contradictions?
I wear white cuffs, I bow.

Is this love then, this red material
Issuing from the steele needle that flies so blindingly?
It will make little dresses and coats,

It will cover a dynasty.
How her body opens and shuts --
A Swiss watch, jeweled in the hinges!

O heart, such disorganization!
The stars are flashing like terrible numerals.
ABC, her eyelids say.

I love the way Plath used the very specific language she did in this poem, especially with the use of colors: "blue currents," "white cuffs," "red material [love]," and her explanation of how the stars flash, how "her" body language translates into Plath's oxymoronic rhetoric. The selected lines in my signature, I found, summarize the poem in a few lines, and just for this reason, I enjoy listing the place of reference in case anyone derives the same pleasure as I do, so thank you for mentioning your shared enjoyment also, baddad. :)

Jack_Aubrey
02-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Atonement-Ian Mcewan.

Scheherazade
02-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Atonement-Ian Mcewan.
The nominations for April Reading at the moment are:

Conan The Destroyer
The Seventh Son
Jack And Jill - Louisa May Alcott
Seize the Day by Saul Bellow
Heidi Grows Up by Charles Tritten
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
The Waves by Virginia Woolf
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
Brave New World by Huxley

Jack,
We have already got 10 nominations for April (the maximum number we can include in the poll) and unless someone withdraws theirs by tomorrow, we will not be able to include new ones. Maybe you can suggest that one for May :)

Yorkie
02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Jack. I would go with Atonement, too. Perhaps you can get in early for May's nominations. I am new to the Board, and am hoping to be able to join in future discussions. What format do they take? Do we read the book asap and then discuss it in its entirity, or sections at a time?