PDA

View Full Version : strange

shortysweetp
01-30-2005, 02:53 PM
who else finds it strange that this woman is writing as a man? i also found the book boring. anyone else's opinion?

mono
02-01-2005, 10:28 AM
If I remember correctly, all three of the Brontė sisters (Emily, Charlotte, Anne) published poetry under male names, but, if I feel not mistaken, she wrote Wuthering Heights by her real name (but I could remember wrongly, of course).
Many women of the Brontė sisters' time wrote under male names - George Eliot (Mariane Evans), for example, for the purpose of being published without the audience's bias of reading something by a female.

Scheherazade
02-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I think what shortysweetp was refering to is-I might be very easily wrong ;) - that Bronte chose to tell the events from a point of view of a male narrator in 'Wuthering Heights'.

shortysweetp
02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Scheherazade is right. I could understand it better if she had used a male name with the book trying to keep up the scam and all. I just think that as a woman writer she could have made the story from the womans point of view or just told the story w/o being a character. As it is my husband continues to say that the brontes and Austen (woman authors in that time) are lesbian, man haters. I dont agree and if he would just read the books he would see that dont hate men. anyway i just thought it strange that she wrote the book with a male character as narrator.

monaliza
02-02-2005, 01:12 PM
hey guys
Wuthering Heights was narrated by both Nelly Dean and Mr Lockwood,and the major of the events was basically told by Nelly Dean which is female and not male.....( am i right or misunderstood shortysweetp :confused: )

shortysweetp
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
i'll have to reread but from what i remember its the guy

penguinsail
04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
When you take into account that the major points of the story are being told by Mrs. Dean to Lockwood, then the actual story line of it is basicaly narrated in third person and is actually from the viewpoint of Mrs. Dean who is a woman.

I think that the second time reading this book is much more fun than the first time. I found it a little hard to follow in the beginning the first time I read it, but I read through and ended up absolutely loving the rest of the book. I have read the book over and over since, and there is always something I find that I had not noticed before.

shortysweetp
04-01-2005, 05:40 PM
i will have to do that maybe i will like it the second time around

Rachy
05-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I haven't finished this but I'm half way and think it's great! The only thing annoying me is the narration! I would've preffered if it was told in third person, because by Nelly telling the important bits, it's like you don't get the full effect as the characters won't have opened up properly as there was someone else in the room! I would've liked to have seen more of the oing parts between Heathcliff and Cathy! That's my only criticism, apart from the that, loving every moment of it!

Rachy
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
and by oing i obviously mean Loving! Lol. Typping error there!