PDA

View Full Version : Othello question?

kelby_lake
09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Is Iago gay?

LitNetIsGreat
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Never thought about it. I'm going to chicken out and give some drivel about it being down to individual interpretation, and as such, there is no real answer to your question. No, that is too much of a cop out (despite being true), I’ll have to think on it and flick though it again to be sure.

JBI
09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
It's been argued before, by critics better than me, though I personally do not agree. I don't think, anyway, that such terms can really be applied, as Shakespearean sexuality was far different than our time's.

wessexgirl
09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
I have wondered myself in the past, with his obsessive jealousy of Othello and Desdemona. Is his desire to see Othello's downfall fuelled by more than bog-standard jealousy of his employer? I haven't studied the play for a few years, but I do love it, and there does not seem to be any real legitimate cause for his behaviour on the surface except to do harm to people. He does not seem to have any remorse or regret about what happens to Desdemona through his actions. Perhaps he does have a thing for Othello. We have to be cautious though about reading into someone's actions without the back-up of the writer's words. It was something I considered though, his obsession about Othello.

kelby_lake
09-27-2008, 11:49 AM
There's a bit where Iago is lying to Othello that Cassio says the truth in his sleep. Then Iago says that Cassio sleepily thought he was Desdemona. Throughout the play he's been pretty coarse about this alleged affair, so why would he suddenly talk about kissing the roots of his lips?
Why is Iago jealous of Cassio? I don't think Iago's in love with him.