PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Movie Adaptations

Vronaqueen
09-11-2002, 11:17 AM
You know there have been hundreds, if not thousands of movies based on the play, and we all know that we've seen them, admit it. Now it's time to pick your favs.

Personally, I'm going with Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, he's the only one who had the guts to do the entire play as is, not dialogue added or taken out.

Admin
09-11-2002, 06:01 PM
I didn't like Branagh's Hamlet....

I'm a stickler for historical accuracy in films and that movie was the worst hodgepodge of historical periods I've ever seen. Right down to the pump action muskets.

Vronaqueen
09-12-2002, 12:57 AM
but you have to admit that the acting was so much better than say, Mel Gibson

Morgan
09-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Di Caprio as Romeo was the worst choice any director could make...Hope i'm not offending anyone...
Despite the fact that it had very little in common with the real play, i really liked Michael Almereyda's adaptation of Hamlet...

Eric, son of Chuck
09-16-2002, 03:57 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm quite fond of the modern version of "Titus" starring Anthony Hopkins.

3saintjoan7
11-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Don't miss Franco Zefirelli's "Taming Of The Shrew" (great fun) and "Romeo and Juliet". Roman Polanski's "Macbeth" not bad though lead actor a dud- Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" also great fun- "Twelfth Night" with Helena Bonham Carter very good (though again leading actress (Viola) a dud (everyone's a critic)- and absolutely DO NOT MISS Laurence Olivier's "King Lear"- So good you'll watch it thrice!

Sam Gamgee
12-05-2002, 04:56 PM
The best are definitely Branaugh's Henry V (why didn't Branaugh just make all of Shakespeare's plays) Branaugh's Much Ado about Nothing and King Lear with Laurence Olivier

iván
07-23-2003, 05:08 PM
King Lear has the two best Shakespeare's cinematic adaptations I have seen. Tell me what you think.
First, there is Peter Brook's King Lear, of 1971, which uses faithfully almost the entire text of the play.
And then Akira Kurosawa's Kaguemusha, which is adapted to medieval Japan (King Lear having sons instead of daughters).
:o

SirStefan32
07-26-2003, 01:13 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm quite fond of the modern version of "Titus" starring Anthony Hopkins.

Heh, I like Hopkins as well. :D

wastinaway
07-29-2003, 03:28 AM
Not to be juvenile, but "The Lion King" comes second only to KB's Hamlet. Of course leave it to Disney to ruin a perfect ending. But we do need our blue skies.

Miriam
08-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Branaugh's Henry V is one of my favorite movies of all time. Everything about it was gripping, the acting was superb, and the scenes were awesome(i loved when they were gathering the dead after the battle; the music and cinematography...happy sigh), I had read Henry the V earlier and found it somewhat unremarkable, then i saw the movie and happiness. I'm a loser i know.

Johnpug
08-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I loved Branaugh's Henry V and really WANTED to like his Hamlet but didn't. His Much Ado was really good (even could stand Keanu!). Loved (and love) Zeffirelli's R&J - first saw it was back in Ms. Stout's 7th grade english class!

Orson Wells' Othello is AWESOME, prob my fav - made over 10 years in any location he could find around the world betwwen other movies. Great scene in the "baths" - visually very striking - everyone wears towels because they lost/couldn't get the costumes! Check it out...

I think Kirasawa's Ran was his adaptation of Lear (not Kagemusha) - and it was awesome too.

iván
08-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I would like to see Orson Welles "Othello", and also his "Macbeth", thanks for the recommendation.

For Macbeth's adaptations see Kurosawa's 'Throne of Blood', which is like Ran, adapted to medieval Japan. The three witches from the play are turned into one spirit of the forest, that sings a monotonous Zen chant: one of the scariest scenes I have seen, set in foggy woods.
The final scene has Macbeth alone against the invading army, reached by a rain of arrows, it is unforgettable.
Even though this movie has not the language of Shakespeare, it captures the violent spirit of the situations and the vehemence of the characters; better that many 'faithful' and boring adaptations, like Branagh's Hamlet, or Mel Gibson's.
Speaking of Hamlet, did you like Ethan Hawke's, I thought it was great...

electric_kool_aid
09-07-2003, 07:54 PM
also remember the up to date simplified versions of his works like "O"(Othello obviously) and "10 Things I Hate About You"(Taming of the shrew) definitely geared towards smaller minds but pretty efficient

AbdoRinbo
10-03-2003, 02:53 PM
But they're still lame and pointless.

KLO
10-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Of the various Hamlets, I like Branagh's the best, though I often use the Gibson one in classes since it is shorter and more accurate to the time.

One version of The Tempest that I found is really fascinating. It came out in 1999, with Peter Fonda as Prospero, and it is set during the American Civil War. Prospero is a plantation owner who has a slave woman who is a voodoo priestess that teaches him voodoo. Of course, his brother runs him off the plantation. Although there are significant changes made, I think it is a really interesting take on Shakespeare's story.

IWilKikU
10-20-2003, 08:14 PM
There was a BBC film called Macbeth on the Estate, which was absolutly phenominal. It's a modern version of Macbeth set in the Ladywood Estates in Burmingham, England, the absolute poverty-pit of the UK. It emphisized the contrast between Lady Macbeth and Lady Macduff very nicely. It also depicted a much more brutal Macbeth than any of the other film addaptations I have seen. He murders Lady Macduff and her children himself, rather than sending murderers. If anyone has a copy that they would be willing to copy for me I would be much abliged. If anyone sees a copy, GRAB IT! It is extrememly hard to find, but worth whatever price is asked.

Sindhu
10-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Branagh's Much Ado and Olver's Richard III. I haven't been really satisfied with any of the Hamlets I've seen so far, though of the lot I prefer Brannagh's. And can omeone PLEASE suggest a REASONABLY decent version of Macbeth? it's my favourite play and I've been thouroughly disappointed so far- and don'treally like "modernized" Shakepeare. I did like Throne o Blood, but what I want is a reasonably straght from Shakespeare version.

IWilKikU
10-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Different films have strengths and weaknesses. Other than Macbeth on the Estate I think the best is the Roman Polanski version. However Lady Macbeth is weak in that one. A good Lady Macbeth is in the Jason Connery version. And the Orson Wells is the best for the witches. Throne of Blood is really good, but it doesn't use the Shakespearian languege. There are others of course but those are the best ones.

Eadaoin
10-23-2003, 04:28 PM
You're joking...right? Bos Lerman's Romeo + Juliet was crap.....Zefferlli is one of the only directors that stays true to the script.

AbdoRinbo
10-23-2003, 04:30 PM
We don't joke around here, my friend.

You're joking...right? Bos Lerman's Romeo + Juliet was crap.....Zefferlli is one of the only directors that stays true to the script.

Sindhu
10-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Different films have strengths and weaknesses. Other than Macbeth on the Estate I think the best is the Roman Polanski version. However Lady Macbeth is weak in that one. A good Lady Macbeth is in the Jason Connery version. And the Orson Wells is the best for the witches. Throne of Blood is really good, but it doesn't use the Shakespearian languege. There are others of course but those are the best ones.
I think I'll check out both the Polanski and Connery verions- if I can get hold of them. The Wells version was just about OK for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

AbdoRinbo
10-24-2003, 01:01 AM
Roman Polanski's 'MacBeth' is awesome. I think it came out right after the Manson Family massacre. It's charmingly gruesome. :D

fayefaye
10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
i hated baz luhrmann's romeo and juliet. it sucked, face it. i wrote a whole essay on how bad it is, lucky for you i have a tradition of throwing away assignments (shame; i got an A+ for that one) or I'd post it up here!

IWilKikU
10-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Actually, the Manson murders were a huge part of the Polanski version. It's all part of the old curse-o-Macbeth. Polanski's wife was killed by Charles Manson himself, while the film was being made. Freaks me out man!

J. Wellington Wells
11-13-2003, 07:18 PM
I too dug on Julie Taymor's "Titus". Stunning cinematography, and you just can't beat Hopkins in a chef's hat spooning Alan Cumming to death (and that cat who played Aaron was something else). I also enjoyed "Throne of Blood" despite the lack of Shakespearian language - the actress who played "Lady MacBeth" was utterly frightening because of her stillness - she was just an insidious voice coming out of a pale, doll-like face.

And here's a puzzler - I love Ian McKellan and I love "Richard III", but didn't like McKellan's adaptation of the play. Perhaps because they eviscerated the script for the sake of a short running time? Perhaps because they chose to set a very period-specific play in the wrong period, simply in order to draw a haphazard comparison between Richard III and Hitler? I dunno, maybe it's just me. McKellan's acting was top-notch, though.

Stanislaw
12-01-2003, 09:50 PM
I would say the best adaptation was by Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, his was an adaptation of Macbeth titled thrown of bload.

Kenneth's Hamlet was good for dialogue, poor for set and age.

Alex Knight
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
It's now on Utube, and it is good.

NickAdams
05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Who else would like to see Clive Owens as Macbeth?

Cassius
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Personally, I love Mankiewicz's 1953 version of Julius Caesar. James Mason, John Gielgud, and Marlon Brando are all superb as Brutus, Cassius and Antony. Brando is frequently praised for his outstanding performance, but for me John Gielgud absolutely steals the show as Cassius. The fact that the film is in black and white just makes it more beautiful. What do you guys think of this one?

superhero99
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and Franco Zefirelli's Romeo and Juliet. I absolutely loved both versions. Although I admit I haven't seen too many Shakespeare adaptations.

Niamh
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Zefirelli's Romeo and Juliet is brilliant.
I also saw a really cool arty version of A Midsummers Nights Dream well over ten years ago. I think it was done by Film Four. Been a long time since i've seen it. Once had it on Video but god only knows what happened to it.
I also love Branaghs As You Like It. Thought his Loves Labour Lost was Horrific though.

Charles Darnay
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
The worst adaptation I've seen is the most recent version of As You Like It (sorry to any Branah fans but he should have stuck to acting)

Some of the best adaptations I've seen are:

Merchant of Venice with Pacino

Taymore's Titus

and for purely comical reasons, BBC's version of Measure For Measure (although I can't really call this good)

Niamh
06-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with the merchant of venice. :nod:

Janine
06-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Branagh's Much Ado and Olver's Richard III. I haven't been really satisfied with any of the Hamlets I've seen so far, though of the lot I prefer Brannagh's. And can omeone PLEASE suggest a REASONABLY decent version of Macbeth? it's my favourite play and I've been thouroughly disappointed so far- and don'treally like "modernized" Shakepeare. I did like Throne o Blood, but what I want is a reasonably straght from Shakespeare version.

;1581,I like Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" and I like his "Hamlet", athough I can see flaws in each; although, as someone else, pointed out he did have the guts to do the entire play word for word; I can really appreciate that. I love watching it even if it has some descrepancies in the staging or time period; I over look them since I am into the interaction of the cast and think they all did a fine job. I usually forgive him, since I am a huge Branagh fan; however, I feel his "Henry V" is a perfect film. Someone on Lit Net alerted me to an earlier BBC version of "Hamlet" starring Derek Jacobi; as you know, he plays Claudius in Branagh's film and does a terrific job of it. Jacobi was Branagh's mentor. This early film might be difficult to find, but it is the full text and excellent. It is more like a filmed stage play, with sparser sets, but the entire text; a huge plus. I still prefer Branagh's "To Be, or Not To Be, spoken in the mirror reflection - I thought that one of the stellar moments in his "Hamlet," and in the history of film, period! Way to go Kenneth!

There is a film version of "Macbeth" directed by Orwsen Wells and he stars as Macbeth. It is a pretty amazing film; very intense and in B/W, very graphic. I have seen that several times, although I find this play difficult to watch with all the blantant killing, especially the children. Olivier's "King Lear" is amazing also - very intense and I believe contains the entire text. It is hard to watch, but so worthwhile to do so; it is just so darn intense one is exhausted afterwards. It is set in a scene version of Stonehenge - interesting; also much like a filming of a play.

Nick Adams, I think Clive Owen playing Macbeth would certainly be an interesting prospect.

I also hated Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo and Juliet". He did a far better job on "Moulin Rouge", Zefferelli's version of R&J is a classic. I also hated the Ethan Hawk version of "Hamlet". I think he recites "To Be, Or Not to Be" while walking through a laundramat....something weird like that...I just could not make the transition. I do like the Mel Gibson "Hamlet" but it is much abreviated and also some scenes are scrambled in sequence or combined; that bothers me some. He was surprisingly good in the role.

Equality72521
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually like the Branagh versions of Shakespeare more than others. I think they're pretty good. More specifically Hamlet. I have attempted at watching two other versions of Hamlet, the Ethan Hawke version, which I really didn't like. I dislike any version of Shakespeare that is thrown into the modern world, it's weird and just doesn't seem right. It doesn't flow as well. The time period has got to match the language or it just doesn't work, the whole time period switch also occurs in Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio. That one was TERRIBLE. I think that movie just kind of shut that play down for me. Also, the Mel Gibson Hamlet was all right. Not my preferred favorite, but still okay, mainly my thoughts on it are similar to that of Janine's on the Mel Gibson part.

shakespeare87
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
My favourite is Branagh's Hamlet - uncut! About 4 hours long, It is the best movie I have ever seen.

wessexgirl
08-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Have you seen the version with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench? It's an RSC version from I think the 70's or 80's. It's a filmed version of the stage play, if you see what I mean, rather than a film. It is outstanding. Very dark, and Dench gives the most heart-rending scream I think I've ever heard in a play. Give it a go, if you haven't already.

I love Branagh's Henry V and MAAN too. Excellent adaptations. I do like his Hamlet as well, but not as much as Olivier's, the old b & w version.

For a modern version that's just such fun, try the Beeb's Much Ado About Nothing from a few years ago. I don't usually like updated versions, but it is very funny, and well adapted. Damian Lewis is spot on as Benedict, and Sarah Parish is an excellent Beatrice.

As a Shakespeare fan, I will watch pretty much all adaptations, but I have to say I love Kenneth Branagh, who just seems to "get it" and must be the most adept "Shakesperean" film maker around at the moment. He has truly taken over Olivier's mantle.

Lioness_Heart
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Branagh's Hamlet is by far the best that I've seen, perhaps helped by the atmoshere when we watched it, as my English class turned it into a pizza night in the lecture theatre at school. It was incredibly dramatic whilst keeping to the original script, which is quite rare for modern adaptations. I found the time period they used effective too, although I didn't expect to. It just goes to show how universally relevant Shakespeare is, I suppose. I wish that I could see David Tennant as Hamlet though!!!

Also, the most recent Romeo and Juliet (with Leonardo DiCaprio) was amazing; it seemed to get the intensity of the emotions to come across more effectively than any other production that I've seen.

Equality72521
08-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I watched Branagh's Love's Labour Lost the other day...it was cuteee