PDA

View Full Version : King lear ..... help

Chritic
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
HOW ABOUT..............helping me with this..i'm new to this book....just began reading it and already i have questions so ......social relations onstage are complemented by Shakespears dramatic echniques...can i get a couple examples for maybe the first couple Scenes of act 1?

Gladys
09-05-2008, 04:26 AM
social relations onstage are complemented by Shakespeare's dramatic techniques Does this mean: the text of King Lear helps the actors interact?

Chritic
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
ummmm....i think the statement more suggests that um Shakespeare uses techniques (don't know what they are as yet), maybe like "dialogue" to highlight social relations-> relationships whether it be "father-daughter, father-son, etc:between characters....well yes....these "interactions" between the characters in King Lear are portrayed through these dramatic techniques. So, how is it exactly done? i have no idea.

Gladys
09-05-2008, 09:11 PM
"dialogue" to highlight social relations

From Act 1 Scene 1:

* Earl of Kent. I thought the King had more affected the Duke of Albany than Cornwall.
Cornwall's not so likeable, the rat.

* Earl of Gloucester. It did always seem so to us; but now, in the division of the
kingdom, it appears not which of the Dukes he values most, for
equalities are so weigh'd that curiosity in neither can make
choice of either's moiety.
The rash King Lear is lacking in discernment, and Gloucester's a wit: 'equalities are so weigh'd'.

* Earl of Kent. Is not this your son, my lord?

* Earl of Gloucester. His breeding, sir, hath been at my charge. I have so often
blush'd to acknowledge him that now I am braz'd to't.
Does Edmund get the joke?

* Earl of Kent. I cannot conceive you.

* Earl of Gloucester. Sir, this young fellow's mother could; whereupon she grew
round-womb'd, and had indeed, sir, a son for her cradle ere she
had a husband for her bed. Do you smell a fault?
My son is a matter for great mirth. It's no wonder Edmund has a chip on his shoulder..

* Earl of Kent. I cannot wish the fault undone, the issue of it being so proper.
Kent's a straight-shooter.

* Earl of Gloucester. But I have, sir, a son by order of law, some year elder than
this, who yet is no dearer in my account.
Like Lear, Gloucester's is lacking in discernment ('no dearer'), as he only sees later, when blind.

Chritic
09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
great..thnx for a boost