PDA

View Full Version : IB extended essay topic - civility? HELP. desperate

zYvy
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi all, for those of you who don't know. The extended essay is a 4000 word essay that is crucial to the IB Diploma. Failure to submit it would result in me not receiving a diploma. Extended essays must have very focused research questions which lend themselves to a great deal of analysis.

My Extended Essay first draft is due Monday, the 1st of September. That is in four days. I am having a really hard time finding a topic. That is all I need.
I am this far and without a topic because my initial subject was history, over the summer I decided I would change to English and that way I wasted four months. I also decided I will write my essay on Austen's Pride and Prejudice. So that is final. I have a few ideas too, but I can't seem to get anything concrete, I have been at this for a month now and it is driving me insane. PLEASE, someone help me figure out my topic so I can sit down in two days and write my essay in 48 hours non stop.

I was thinking of doing something on civility/propriety in the novel but there are so many things to look at that I just end up losin myself. I do think that the topic of civility/propriety is my first choice. I need this to be focused a lot more though. And there seem to be so many aspects of civility that I cannot find one to focus on. Or a couple that are similar. Or does excessive civility/too little civility ever cause something major in the novel? I am panicking and therefore losing all reasoning skills. Please, someone help me focus my statement/question.

This is me BEGGING.
Whoever helps me, I promise to owe you for eternity.

Please, please. HELP.

Gladys
08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
And there seem to be so many aspects of civility that I cannot find one to focus on. Or a couple that are similar. You've made a good start because both civility and propriety are significant elements of both pride and prejudice. Can you tell us which aspects of civility within the novel you've already considered or which interest you most?

zYvy
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
You've made a good start because both civility and propriety are significant elements of both pride and prejudice. Can you tell us which aspects of civility within the novel you've already considered or which interest you most?

Okay first of all, thank you SO much for replying.

I noticed that Elizabeth is very civil in her language but at the same time, she can be very sharp. I saw that in the way she spoke to Lady Catherine DeBourgh and the way she spoke to Darcy at first. To Darcy, she always made witty remarks and used sharp language to hit his pride, but she always did so in a very seemingly 'civil' manner.

During the argument with Lady Catherine DeBourgh I saw that she, who is supposed to represent poise and nobility, lost all sense of civility and insulted Elizabeth. Elizabeth, on the other hand, is supposed to be a 'town person', and someone who Lady Catherine sees as of low rank (people in lower ranks generally have poor manners). Elizabeth treats Lady Catherine with cold civility and responds in a very proper manner.
Well, I thought the Lady Catherine-Elizabeth incident was peculiar. I'd love to explore more on that. I'm just not sure where I'm getting at..

Gladys
08-28-2008, 01:44 AM
A possible topic may be:

Is civility and propriety in Elizabeth Bennet a matter of pride or prejudice?
In respect of civility, Elizabeth has significant interactions with several characters. Consider each of them.

Jane Bennet, as her sister, is treated with love and respect. But Jane contrasts with Elizabeth in treating all others with forbearance, empathy and kindness, rather than mere civility and propriety. The angelic Jane lacks pride or prejudice.

Mr Whikham is idolised, at first, by the more than civil Elizabeth. In her gullibility, prejudice reigns. Whikham is apparently the essence of civility and propriety, unlike Darcy!

Mr. Darcy, who values greatly propriety, is treated by Elizabeth with a civility that is cold and judgmental - full of prejudice. In contrast to Jane, Elizabeth takes pride in her supposed moral superiority to Darcy.

Charlotte Lucas marries the uninspiring Mr Collins. While acting with civility to them both, Elizabeth is too proud to really understand the nature and circumstances of her close friend's marriage. Elizabeth lacks warmth.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh is pompous and demanding. Elizabeth remains civil but her pride and prejudice impels her to behave defensively and aggressively at the same time. Sister Jane would put the best construction on everything.

Lydia Bennet is a romantic muddle-head but Elizabeth's pride impels her to judge harshly, despite Lydia's very different social and intellectual situation. Elizabeth battles to maintain civility in a family that falls short of her own proud standards of propriety.

Mr Bennet is detached wisdom personified. Elizabeth struggles to reconcile respect for her father and family with the disparaging pride of the superior Mr Darcy.
You may wish look to elaborate on this material and include other characters to develop your essay. And remember: the novel is a comedy.

sciencefan
08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Excellent post, Gladys.

zYvy
08-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Thank you so so much!