PDA

View Full Version : A weird thing that recurs in the novel..

JacobF
08-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I read this book in grade 11 english class and a classmate of mine noticed that whenever Lenina engaged in sex with man, she would take off all her clothes except for her high heels and stalkings, and Huxley explicitly points this out each time. Does anyone have any idea why he keeps doing so? It could just be a coincidence... a really big coincidence... but the only good explanation i've come up with so far is that he had a fetish for high heels/stalkings which is why he kept them on Lenina each time she had sex.

The Atheist
08-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Does anyone have any idea why he keeps doing so? It could just be a coincidence... a really big coincidence... but the only good explanation i've come up with so far is that he had a fetish for high heels/stalkings which is why he kept them on Lenina each time she had sex.

I've never thought there was any more in it than simple sexual allure - taking the French plan of never fully undressing. Bit of fetish, sure. I haven't ever seen anyone trying to claim anything else.

muazjalil
09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
On a similar note, has anyone notice the fact that Huxley often uses the phrase "so to speak" and i mean not only in Brave New World but in all his writings.

The Atheist
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Very common colloquial English of the times. (Ageing myself - I use it! :lol:)

Bit like "at the end of the day" now, although it's possible to claim that it results from Huxley's precision - he wanted to ensure that readers saw the metaphoric value only.