PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to discuss this book?

Dark Muse
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I have recently started reading this book, and though I do enjoy the writing of James, I find it can be a bit difficult at times. I think that discussing this book might help greater understanding, and allow one to pull more meaning from it.

Would anyone be interested in discussing this book?

Janine
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Dark Muse, what book? What is the title?

Dark Muse
08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
The Ambassadors

Jozanny
08-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I have recently started reading this book, and though I do enjoy the writing of James, I find it can be a bit difficult at times. I think that discussing this book might help greater understanding, and allow one to pull more meaning from it.

Would anyone be interested in discussing this book?

Dark, if there is any 19th century author on whom I am nearly a scholar, it has to be Henry James, but if you want to do The Ambassadors, I am hampered because it is his one major work I don't own. I read my library edition of it once post-university, and I have the Henry James online scholars web site text downloaded, but right now I am in the opening reread of The Golden Bowl. Perhaps in a few weeks I can take the time to join in a discussion through the e-text--though I should rectify my omission and buy my own copy.

Some critics think this is his best novel, but I give that honor to GB.

Dark Muse
08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Well if you are able to join in, I am sure I would find it very helpful to my understanding of his work. I do not know what much about him. I have read some of his short stories and enjoyed. This is my first novel of his.

Jozanny
08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Well if you are able to join in, I am sure I would find it very helpful to my understanding of his work. I do not know what much about him. I have read some of his short stories and enjoyed. This is my first novel of his.

It is not an easy novel to grasp. I will try to join in. Not easy for me either, I should add. James last major works have engendered an enormous body of criticism, and trust me when I say that professors make a career out of lectures on Strether, or Millie's illness in Wings, and so on.

Gladys
11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
It is not an easy novel to grasp.

A hundred pages in, I'm finding reading almost impossible, both cryptic and tedious, but I will persevere. Self absorbed Strether from Woollet USA and ice-cold Wakefield doing next to nothing while meditating on Chad, someone's son - probably Mrs Newsome's.

I remember the first half of Washington Square being equally tedious, though now, looking back, I can see clearly the fine tapestry of interplay within Catherine's family - father and aunts - that I had overlooked.

Some critics think this is his best novel, but I give that honor to GB.

The Golden Bowl is magnificent, with The Wings of the Dove not far behind.

the_pln
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
hello ı would be happy to discuss the ambassadors with you:)

what do you think about the mental drama of strether in relation his relation with other characters in the book?

Gladys
01-09-2011, 06:51 AM
what do you think about the mental drama of strether in relation his relation with other characters in the book?

I'm three-quarter way through and, compared to The Golden Bowl and The Wings of the Dove, it ain't easy reading!

Unlike these two novels, all the characters here seem to work for the best, including Strether. But, then again, I've a way to go yet.

Gladys
01-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Lambert Strether stands by Chad and Madame de Vionnet before learning that Sarah and Mrs Newsome's concerns are, in part, justified. Moreover, Chad now threatens to desert his magnificent lover.

Strether has all along acted from honourable motives, but isn't life complicated! What has he ultimately done for Maria Gostrey, for Countess Marie de Vionnet, or for Chad Newsome? Losing Miss Gostrey he has little to show for his integrity but good intentions:

So then she had to take it, though still with her defeated protest. "It isn't so much your BEING 'right'--it's your horrible sharp eye for what makes you so."