PDA

View Full Version : Guy de Maupassant

Emil Miller
08-17-2008, 05:44 AM
I am amazed that nobody using this website appears to have read Maupassant's novels. Of course, the short stories are brilliant examples of the genre and although his novels are uneven and relatively few in number, Bel Ami and Une Vie are among the best writing to be found anywhere.
Perhaps the lack of interest shown in the novels is due to teachers relying on the short stories because of the limited attention span of their students. However, if you don't make the effort, you could be missing some of the most wonderful writing you will ever come across.

johnlennon30
08-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I haven't read the novels yet, but I'm going to read them. My favorite short de Maupassant short story is "The Diamond Necklace" which we had to perform as a stage play. I'm sure the novels are good too :)

<going to Guy de Maupassant page>

LitNetIsGreat
08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I am amazed that nobody using this website appears to have read Maupassant's novels. Of course, the short stories are brilliant examples of the genre and although his novels are uneven and relatively few in number, Bel Ami and Une Vie are among the best writing to be found anywhere.
Perhaps the lack of interest shown in the novels is due to teachers relying on the short stories because of the limited attention span of their students. However, if you don't make the effort, you could be missing some of the most wonderful writing you will ever come across.

I'll second that. Bel Ami blew me away.

Camille-M
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
J'aimerai pouvoir avoir un ernseignement !
La Peur de Guy Maupassant est de quel registre et que veux t'il faire passer comme message dans ce texte ?

Je suis étudiante

[QUOTE=Camille-M;779630]I would like to inquire. In "Fear" by Guy de Maupassant, what message is trying to go THERE ? I am a student

wessexgirl
11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll second that. Bel Ami blew me away.

I couldn't find a thread on Bel Ami, but I just wanted to let anyone in the UK know that it's the classic serial on R4 at the moment. You can catch it on the iplayer I think if you missed it. It's well worth a listen :thumbs_up.