PDA

View Full Version : Book Club Regulations

Scheherazade
01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
The present Book Club regulations are

1. The first month in the cycle will be for nominating the next cycle's book.

2. The second month in the cycle will be for voting on the next book.

3. This subforum is for discussion of the book of the month only. Keep discussion on other books elsewhere.

4. If you are going to post spoilers please warn people in advance. Say something like "If you haven't yet read chapter 16 don't read this."

Any other suggestions?
What are your thoughts on multiple nominations? Also what should we do if there is a tie at the end of a poll?

Jay
01-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Not really sure about what you mean with 'multiple nominations'?

Scheherazade
01-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Not really sure about what you mean with 'multiple nominations'?

One person nominating more than one book for the same month.
Should we restrict it to one nomination per person for each month or let everyone nominate as many books as they like?

Jay
01-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Guess one nomination per person sounds right, didn't think there was a 'rule' against multiple nominations

Scheherazade
01-14-2005, 02:22 PM
There isn't at the moment. Which is why I am asking what you think on the subject...

Jay
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
well, then as far as I'm concerned, one nomination per person and month
and you're the mod, I say in case of a tie you could decide which book 'won'

Logos
01-14-2005, 02:30 PM
I would say for the sake of simplicity and fairness, one nomination per person too.

Otherwise, when the poll comes? wouldn't it be kind of skewed if said person was voting for more than one book if they had nominated more than one book? Would maybe `drown out' the votes that others made.

I also agree it's wise to put `Spoiler' in a topic subject to warn others.

Just my humble take on it ;)

Logos
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
ooops, I'm mistaken, I guess each member is only allowed one vote in a poll.

Scheherazade
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Does everyone agree that one nomination per person each month sounds fair enough?? And in case of a tie, I will flip a coin? :p

Stanislaw
01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
1 Pearson = 1 Vote = 1 nomination

I think it is fair! :nod:

mono
01-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Does everyone agree that one nomination per person each month sounds fair enough?? And in case of a tie, I will flip a coin? :p

That sounds very fair to me. Does this rule also apply to Taliesin's multiple alter-egos?
(he-he-he, just kidding)

Scheherazade
01-18-2005, 12:37 AM
:D We will have to think of something about Tal's alter egos... Maybe he can let them take turns nominating and voting every month... so there wouldnt be a mutiny on board!

Jay
01-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Or he can let all of his halves :p have a fight and the one that wins has the right to nominate/vote the month of his (suppose his alter-egos are all male :D) winning :goof:

Stanislaw
01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
...in a pay per view cage match!!! :banana:

:D

Scheherazade
01-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Looking at March nominations, it is a good idea to add that maximum 10 nominations each month;the first 10 nominations will be included in the poll.

Stanislaw
01-21-2005, 02:55 PM
tis now a race to fame, where the victor of the semifinal has but one chance to be the grandmaster and have his noble work chosen!

crisaor
02-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Crisaor, there has been no changes in the Book Club procedures; we are following the original rules and reading one book every month. When you feel that the number of books nominated is not enough, maybe you can, too, personally contribute to make sure that there will be more to choose from. Also, the discussion threads are open for unlimited time, which makes it possible for those who finish the books later than others still to contribute, discuss and post messages.
One book per month remains, but the nominations for the next months are new, that is a change, wether it is a "rule" or not, and that's my main concern. As you say, the threads are still there, they don't go away, but you'll agree with me, that after 2 or 3 pages of discussion (assuming this is the case), people won't be much interested in that topic anymore. And even if there is no discussion, when there are nominations open for the next months, people tend to dedicate more interest to the latter, or to give less attention to the past books. Anyway, I'm not saying 'hey, change all the rules to suit my tastes', I'm just expressing my opinion. I can't help but feel that the book worked much better when everyone had to contribute in order to get it going. Now, it's not an issue. If there are only 2 nominations, it continues as if there's nothing wrong. If new members post a nomination and then vanish, nobody cares. If there are no discussions, nothing happens.

Jay
02-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Cris, before there was no mod, now we have one. Things would tend to have changed, ya know. I'm not too sure if you mean that having 2 books nominated is a good thing or a bad thing in your view. Are you saying that now when we're reading Lord Of The Flies, Breakfast Of The Champions is getting more attention cos it's currently winning the next month's nomination so people are likelly not to talk about Flies? I agree nominating/voting went now a bit too fast as we're already nominating May books. So we slow down here and continue voting/nominating sometime in May, I guess we're gonna all agree on that one, right? Stating your opinion's cool, just give Scher a chance to get used to the mod job. If nothing else there's way more people on the book club now as far as I noticed :). No idea what you meant by "If new members post a nomination and then vanish, nobody cares. If there are no discussions, nothing happens." so I just won't assume anything. But... no discussion? There's already a thread running for Flies reading. For a newbie mod I think Scher's doing fine. And I better shush before I start talking for other people and get no KitKat ever again :p.

Scheherazade
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
One book per month remains, but the nominations for the next months are new, that is a change, wether it is a "rule" or not, and that's my main concern. As you say, the threads are still there, they don't go away, but you'll agree with me, that after 2 or 3 pages of discussion (assuming this is the case), people won't be much interested in that topic anymore. And even if there is no discussion, when there are nominations open for the next months, people tend to dedicate more interest to the latter, or to give less attention to the past books. Anyway, I'm not saying 'hey, change all the rules to suit my tastes', I'm just expressing my opinion. I can't help but feel that the book worked much better when everyone had to contribute in order to get it going. Now, it's not an issue. If there are only 2 nominations, it continues as if there's nothing wrong. If new members post a nomination and then vanish, nobody cares. If there are no discussions, nothing happens.
Crisaor,
I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the working of the Book Club. However, if you take the time and have a look at last year's threads, you will realise that the procedure has not changed;the Club has always nominated and voted for next two months books in the way we are doing now.
I am sure you would also agree that it would be very unfair to stop new members from nominating just like we cannot force anyone to nominate, vote or read the chosen books later on.
I personally do believe that it is very unlikely for an honest post in any thread go unnoticed or "un-responded" no matter how old the threads is. The regular members of this Forum are always willing to contribute in discussions and help others as much as they can.

I agree nominating/voting went now a bit too fast as we're already nominating May books.

At the moment, the Club is voting for March Book while nominating for April.

Jay
02-06-2005, 10:11 PM
May, March, all the same :D. *coughs* ahem, so I confuse months' names :blush:.

Sitaram
02-06-2005, 10:38 PM
"You have nothing to loose but your chains!" - Karl Marx

=======
(by way of explanation):

I was just clowning around for a bit of comic relief.

The thread seemed to be complaining about the OPPRESSIVE rules and rulers of the forum, so I quoted Karl Marx, who said (perhaps in Das Capital), "Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to loose but your chains and the entire world to gain."

I just found it comic to overreact to the oppression of order with an anarchist's battle cry to rebellion and insurrection.

subterranean
02-06-2005, 11:25 PM
**** Yawns ****

amuse
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
hey, B, that's contagious! :D
**** Yawns Also ****

subterranean
02-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeh Ash..let's grabb a cup of coffee ;)

amuse
02-07-2005, 12:34 AM
totally!! :)

Scheherazade
02-07-2005, 05:32 AM
May, March, all the same :D. *coughs* ahem, so I confuse months' names :blush:.

The next poll will start in March for the April Book.

crisaor
02-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Stating your opinion's cool, just give Scher a chance to get used to the mod job. If nothing else there's way more people on the book club now as far as I noticed :).
I never said anything about Scheherezade. And I agree with your last statement (check the other thread).

No idea what you meant by "If new members post a nomination and then vanish, nobody cares. If there are no discussions, nothing happens." so I just won't assume anything.
I have the feeling that those things didn't happen before (maybe because all those who posted in the book club had a very similar participation level, the general level of commitment was pretty lineal) or at least, I didn't perceive so. Anyway, It's not like I resent Scher or any new members, I just liked the previous way better. That's all.

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the working of the Book Club. However, if you take the time and have a look at last year's threads, you will realise that the procedure has not changed;the Club has always nominated and voted for next two months books in the way we are doing now.
Logos said the same thing, and honestly, I'm very positive that this wasn't the case, and I was there when it opened.

I am sure you would also agree that it would be very unfair to stop new members from nominating just like we cannot force anyone to nominate, vote or read the chosen books later on.
Yes, of course, I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but I'm sure you can understand that if that is/were the case, it's certainly regrettable.

And Sitaram, I for myself, find it funny that you don't take the proper time to understand my posts correctly. However, the fact that you consider Marx's words as a lead to anarchy is not funny at all.

shortysweetp
02-08-2005, 01:48 AM
i would like to think everyone on this site is very intelligent and that we would not disagree over little things. i am new to the forum and voted for the february book but didnt think i had time to read afterwards. i do so am going to read it but i might not discuss just b/c i might find a lot to say or i agree with whoever or whatever. i am sure that i am not alone. and as far as i can see Scheherezade is doing a great job as mod.

Scheherazade
02-08-2005, 03:00 AM
shortysweetp,
Please feel free to post your thoughts on the books whenever you read them as the threads stay open even after the dedicated month is over. It is always nice to have fresh views and takes :)

Sitaram
02-08-2005, 08:15 AM
I was just making a joke as I quickly glanced. However, I am going to do some searching in google, as I seem to remember once looking for the definition and origin of anarchists, and finding them in Russia during the time of Doestoevsky. So I am wondering if the words of Marx did not somehow appeal to them, and if they did not play a role in the revolution. From what little I know, it seems like the words of Marx led to the FORMER Soviet Union. I do know that Marx and Engles were tremendously impressed and influenced by the Shaker communes in America which were quite economically successful for a time.

crisaor
02-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh please...you'd love to but you gave me that roll eyes...
You misunderstood me. The rolleyes meant that the money would't really cost that much, 'cause it'd be a worthy trip.

Though I don't mind the 3 of us going out together as long as you both still use ENGLISH in the conversation...
Hey, the three of us, that sounds nice... :brow:

Scheherazade
03-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Following a request, I wonder... Do you think vote cancellation/change is OK? If we let this, the software will not permit that person vote again but their vote can be added to the poll still by the Mods, without their name appearing in the list.

Also, I believe voting is a process we should not temper with. If we start tempering with it, later on there might be questions in people's mind regarding its validity and accuracy.

What is your opinion on vote change/cancellation?

papayahed
03-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't think we should allow it. First of all if I could have I would have changed my mind many times throughout the month and it seems like it may create more work for Scher. Plus, there might be undue influence to change peoples minds...

Logos
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Like you said, the site's layout doesn't allow for changing polls/votes. So no need to create more work.

Following a request, I wonder... Do you think vote cancellation/change is OK? If we let this, the software will not permit that person vote again but their vote can be added to the poll still by the Mods, without their name appearing in the list.

Also, I believe voting is a process we should not temper with. If we start tempering with it, later on there might be questions in people's mind regarding its validity and accuracy.

subterranean
03-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow..you were thinking about me :D...