PDA

View Full Version : School stuff!

aBIGsheep
08-09-2008, 11:53 PM
I have to read Pride and Prejudice for school. It's alright, if anything, it's tolerable at least; definitely something I wouldn't read in my free time.

Now since I'm doing this for school and I wanna be just a few steps ahead of the pack, is there anything you guys could tell me about the book? Deep insights? Symbolism? Themes? I'd appreciate anything, really. I just wanna make a good first impression with my teacher with some grasp of the novel.

So far I understand that there's a lot of conflict between social class and gender alongside a few other small notes. Would you guys care to contribute?

sprinks
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
We're doing Pride & Prejudice at school too! We're doing tutorials on it (we only have 6 people in our Lit class so theres not much of a variation in opinions) and the question I chose was one about sisterly relationships. Now, there is actually quite a connection between the sisterly relationships and the sisters relationships with their spouses. You've got Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia in the Bennet group, and Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst in the Bingley group.
Jane and Elizabeth have a close and loving relationship; they both end up with the men they love, the men love them in return. Mary is different to all sisters, does not share a particular bond with any, and is the only girl to stay at home with her mother. Kitty is influenced by Lydia until Lydia is married, but once Lydia is removed and Kitty spends time with Jane and Elizabeth and their husbands, she improves greatly. Lydia had a great negative influence over Kitty, and ends up with a jerk of a husband, and their marriage only comes about after Darcy pretty much bribes them. Furthermore, their affection for each other does not last long.

Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst are sisters, but do not seem to have a very close and loving relationship. Miss Bingley wants to marry Darcy, but seeing as Darcy and Elizabeth are soul mates in the novel, it just doesn't happen. Mrs Hurst is already married in the novel, but there is little mention of Mr Hurst... perhaps because their marriage is not very good? (Yeah they're not the most important characters but I'm trying to drag this tutorial out to 10 minutes long, so I'm reading into things as much as I can :p)

EDIT: And when Mr Hurst is mentioned, it is not in a positive way... Yes... Still reading into things! :p

I'll probably be back if I think of more stuff... But right now I should be working on said tutorial!

sciencefan
08-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I have to read Pride and Prejudice for school. It's alright, if anything, it's tolerable at least; definitely something I wouldn't read in my free time.

Now since I'm doing this for school and I wanna be just a few steps ahead of the pack, is there anything you guys could tell me about the book? Deep insights? Symbolism? Themes? I'd appreciate anything, really. I just wanna make a good first impression with my teacher with some grasp of the novel.

So far I understand that there's a lot of conflict between social class and gender alongside a few other small notes. Would you guys care to contribute?
If I were you, I would do a google search for the name of the book: "Pride and Prejudice" plus the word synopsis.

When I conduct such a search, I find "homework helper" types of site that give the main information you are asking about. When You read several opinions, you begin to see some agreement and harmony.

Let us know how that works for you.

aBIGsheep
08-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Sparknotes ftw?

sciencefan
08-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Sparknotes ftw?
I don't know if you're addressing me, and I don't know what ftw means,
but sparknotes would probably come up in the search I recommended.