PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comedian!

Equality72521
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Okay, I know he's dead, but George Carlin was my hero. I saw one of his last shows and it was fan-freaking-tastic! I cried when I heard that he died. :((

In order from Favorite to not so Favorite, they go:

1. George Carlin (1937-2008)
2. Kathy Griffin
3. Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)
4. Mel Brooks
5. Jeff Dunham
6. Jim Gaffigan

Mel Brooks is a comedian, my sister disagrees, but he is!
And sadly, 2 of the comedians on this list George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg are dead.

But I'm interested in what you guys like! So spill!!!!!

papayahed
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
A lot of people don't find her funny but I think Kathy Griffin is Hilarious.

I also like that guy with the puppets.....I can't think of his name but the puppets name is peanut...I think.

Dave Chapelle was kinda funny

Equality72521
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
A lot of people don't find her funny but I think Kathy Griffen is Hilarious.

I also like that guy with the puppets.....I can't think of his name but the puppets name is peanut...I think.

Dave Chapelle was kinda funny

Kathy Griffin is HILARIOUS! haha.

And the guy with Peanut is Jeff Dunham...I love Jose Jalapeno...on a steek!

I agree, Dave Chapelle is kind of funny.

Oh, and I love Matt Stone and Trey Parker, they're the creaters of South Park, and I have to say, that show definately makes them qualified comedians...my favorite t.v. show...lol

Niamh
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I love Tommy Tiernan. think he's hilarious!
Oh and Bill Hicks!

djy78usa
08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
As far as stand-up comedians go, Louis C.K. is probably my favorite. He's the guy that Dane Cook rips his jokes off from. Ricky Gervais is pretty high up there as well.

But for all-around comedy, Mel Brooks and John Cleese are the two funniest men that have ever lived.

aBIGsheep
08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Kathy Griffin is HILARIOUS! haha.

I agree, Dave Chapelle is kind of funny.

O.O
These statements told me a lot about you.

RobinHood3000
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
In no particular order...

George Carlin
Robin Williams
Patton Oswalt
Mitch Hedburg
Ellen Degeneres
Gabriel Iglesias
Eddie Izzard

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Dori
08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Myself, of course. :D

Jeff Dunham (sp?), otherwise.

Virgil
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Would I be dating myself if I said the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello? :D

Equality72521
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
O.O
These statements told me a lot about you.

hahahahaha. You have no idea..... :p

RobinHood3000:
In no particular order...

George Carlin
Robin Williams
Patton Oswalt
Mitch Hedburg
Ellen Degeneres
Gabriel Iglesias
Eddie Izzard

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Totally agree!

InspireMe
08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
i LOVE robin williams! mrs. doubtfire still cracks me up after all these years. AND he did the voice for genie in aladdin! he is amazing and hilarious.

Dinglingzi
08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
i might go and find one now~

Weisinheimer
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Brian Regan!!!!!!!!!!

Guinivere
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I really like Eddie Izzard, the action/executive transvestite. I think he's brilliant.

Oh and Billy Connolly is funny too.

shakespeare87
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Matt Groening!!!, the Creator of my favourite show, The Simpsons

Niamh
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Billy Connelly is Class! :thumbs_up

Equality72521
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
billy Connelly is amazing!

Behemoth
08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Dylan Moran :D

"...and then THE CAGE COMES DOWN!"

Big Al
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
My favorite stand-up comics tend to be either very irreverent and subversive ones, or comics who simply have outstanding timing (or both). I can't really stand the "random, quirky observations" comedians. That being said, my favorite comedian is either George Carlin or Patton Oswalt.

kasie
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Would I be dating myself if I said the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello? :D

errrr.... yes.

Or maybe you just haven't watched any comedy for a while? :D

formality hater
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Robin Williams and kel Mitchel can do!The only comedians I have seen and heard of!

Mark F.
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
I love Tommy Tiernan. think he's hilarious!
Oh and Bill Hicks!

Bill Hicks was amazing, the world needs a guy like him to kick its rear end.

Equality72521
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Robin Williams and kel Mitchel can do!The only comedians I have seen and heard of!

Robin Williams is classic. I love him!

djy78usa
08-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Neil Hamburger is this generation's Andy Kaufman!!!!

Mr Endon
05-14-2009, 03:41 PM
[bump]

George Carlin delivered tremendously well. Bill Hicks was a very intelligent man. Both of them, however, for all their good intentions, were preachy demagogues, and didn't do stand up comedy at all. What they did was vent their rage and bitterness through smug, self-righteous, crowd-pleasing one-liners. They could have done just that on top of a soap box in some busy square. Rant over.

wessexgirl
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Ricky Gervais
Armando Ianucci
Jack Dee
Frankie Boyle

and loads of others, although some are stand-ups, some are writers/actors etc.

LadyW
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Peter Kay
Ed Byrne
Lee Evans
Chris Rock
Jason Manford
Frankie Boyle
Dawn French

Hurricane
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't usually like comedians, but Jim Gaffigan, Eddie Izzard and George Carlin are/were pretty awesome. I got to see Jim Gaffigan live earlier this year at school and I had a great time.

metal134
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Bill Hicks was amazing, the world needs a guy like him to kick its rear end.
Agreed on Hicks. Closest we got to him today is Doug Stanhope who overall is not as good as Hicks, but he has his moments of genius.

JuniperWoolf
05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I like Nina Conti. Not many people know who she is, but I think she's the bee's knees.

Stargazer86
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Andy Kaufman, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy (80's), Judy Gold, Kathleen Madigan, John Waters (he did a stand up lecture that was fantastic), Stephen Colbert. I'm sure there are others that I can't think of at the moment

chrysalis_stage
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
There are alot of funny people out there, but my favourites have to be Billy Connolly (all time fave), Dylan Moran (black books especially), and Mark Heap (greenwing especially)

I have all Lee Evans dvds and not long back went to see Jimmy Carr - both funny guys!

Lee Mack and Tim Vine are funny too, (esp in 'not going out' but even in their stand ups) I love Lee's imitation of the french perfume ad!

Amer Zahr is good too, he gets away with alot! Haha, I loved his recent sketch on baliffs.

Must add - Jim Carrey! :D

wessexgirl
05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
There are alot of funny people out there, but my favourites have to be Billy Connolly (all time fave), Dylan Moran (black books especially), and Mark Heap (greenwing especially)

I have all Lee Evans dvds and not long back went to see Jimmy Carr - both funny guys!

Lee Mack and Tim Vine are funny too, (esp in 'not going out' but even in their stand ups) I love Lee's imitation of the french perfume ad!
Amer Zahr is good too, he gets away with alot! Haha, I loved his recent sketch on baliffs.

Must add - Jim Carrey! :D

I went to see Lee Mack a few years ago, and he was very funny. Unfortunately, I was recovering from a heavy cold and had the dreaded tickly cough. I was fighting desperately not to cough over his routines, and managed to wait for him to stop speaking long enough to erupt into a cough. Needless to say, he ripped into me.......:blush::lol:

hardrain
05-19-2009, 01:22 PM
funny man

kevinthediltz
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Don Rickles anyone? Mr. Warmth?
He is one of the funnest men who ever lived.
Him and George Carlin

mono
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
The one and only Jerry Seinfeld, no contest. Others to mention: Conan O'Brien, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, Stephen Colbert, and Rowan Atkinson.

My name is red
10-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Steve Carell

feignfeign
10-04-2009, 12:15 AM
[bump]

George Carlin delivered tremendously well. Bill Hicks was a very intelligent man. Both of them, however, for all their good intentions, were preachy demagogues, and didn't do stand up comedy at all. What they did was vent their rage and bitterness through smug, self-righteous, crowd-pleasing one-liners. They could have done just that on top of a soap box in some busy square. Rant over.

Whos your favorite comedian than

Maryd.
10-04-2009, 01:51 AM
I have always been hooked on Jerry Lewis and the old gangs, like Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, the three stooges and the everlasting comics the Marx Brothers. (Still am) But the likes of Robin Williams, Audey Murphy and of course Jim Carey are my favourites right now.

MANICHAEAN
10-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I suppose someone has got to fly the flag for " that sacred isle set in a silver sea"
Any takers on:
Tony Hancock & Sid James.
Charlie Drake.
Morecome & Wise.
Kenneth Williams.
Ken Dodd.
Benny Hill.
Frankie Howard.
Tommy Cooper.
The last two, pure genius. But it was an in-bred home grown talent that you grew up with & a lot of it presumably could not not be appreciated overseas (apart from Benny Hill who does not need to deliver lines). I found George Burns & Gracie boring, especially with the canned laughter. But in his dotage, he was hilarious.

wessexgirl
10-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I suppose someone has got to fly the flag for " that sacred isle set in a silver sea"Any takers on:
Tony Hancock & Sid James.
Charlie Drake.
Morecome & Wise.
Kenneth Williams.
Ken Dodd.
Benny Hill.
Frankie Howard.
Tommy Cooper.
The last two, pure genius. But it was an in-bred home grown talent that you grew up with & a lot of it presumably could not not be appreciated overseas (apart from Benny Hill who does not need to deliver lines). I found George Burns & Gracie boring, especially with the canned laughter. But in his dotage, he was hilarious.

I have, and there are some other Brits here, with UK comedians. I like some of your list too, but not Charlie Drake, and I found Benny Hill funny as a child, but not now. Frankie Howard was my nan's favourite, so I have a soft spot for him. And Morecambe and Wise can only be described as National Treasures, they are loved and revered by many people, me included.

Buh4Bee
10-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Guess there is a little biased toward American comedians. What about Eddie Murphy? I love George Carlin, he's a sicko that spoke the truth.

pjjrfan1
10-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Richard Pryor. The only comedian who made me laugh my guts out and made my soul cry at the same time with his "Bicenteniial Nigger" album. The rest of the time he just made me laugh. I also liked Carlin, Jonathan Winters and robin williams. I also have a soft spot for Bob Hope my favorite comedian as a child.

jajdude
03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Lewis Black is pretty good. Saw him and other guys online on a funny show some months back, called "The Root of All Evil"

Armel P
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
George Carlin!

Richard Jeni, Louis CK, Ricky Gervais, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Ron White, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Dana Carvey, Dave Chappelle, Ellen Degeneres, Sarah Silverman, Dennis Leary, Sam Kinison, Milton Berle, Bill Maher, Wanda Sykes, Robert Schimmel

Paulclem
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Where are the links to these comics? Rules of writing - don't tell, show.

Here's a link to Bill Bailey with a Chaucerian gag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNEWatD0viw

chipper
04-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Jon Stewart... FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmj6JADOZ-8

prendrelemick
05-14-2011, 03:54 AM
James Corden is in danger of becoming a legend, a cult and mainstream too.

This is the funniest thing on TV so far this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdg7Tgv5lo0

billl
05-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Right when I needed 13 minutes of diversion, Mick serves up something that--thanks to a certain dose of a certain Mr. Michael--carried me on to a host of people I sometimes knew, to wonderful, startling, comic effect, 13-Minutes-Style.

Climacus
12-30-2011, 11:38 PM
:smilielol5:

Peter Sellers
Spike Milligan
Peter Cook
John Cleese

smerdyakov
12-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Doug Stanhope. I know, I'm a cynic...:)

Jack of Hearts
12-31-2011, 12:18 AM
For stand-up, this reader has hated about every choice in this thread so far lol.

In Jack of Hearts' opinion, Louis CK is the greatest living stand up comedian. Most of the stand up crowd these days is just awful. And Carlin was kind of boring.

Lenny Bruce was pretty entertaining. Woody Allen was fun to listen to...

Another modern day great is Bob Saget. Yeah, the dad from 'Full House' is an extremely talented stand-up comedian (even though his show sucked). His stand up is very, very foul- but it's impossibly good. It's blue humor though. He's almost as good as Louis CK.

For the younger generation of comedians, Nick Swardson really does alright. And Stephen Lynch's musical stand-up act is not to be missed.

And finally, Stephen Wright. That guy is hilarious.

J

Calidore
12-31-2011, 02:21 AM
Bill Cosby for the funniest family-friendly storytelling imaginable, Richard Pryor for the depth (and drama) he brought to adult comedy, and Steven Wright for his ability to think sideways. All of these guys have regularly dropped my jaw with their brilliance, and none of them will ever date.

JuniperWoolf
12-31-2011, 04:57 AM
I really, really, really love good comedians. Bad comedians make me want to strangle a panda, but if I were to take up the groupie lifestyle, I would be a comedian groupie.

Bruce McCulloch - Canadian cast member of Kids in the Hall. His surreal, labourer-style comedy has vastly improved my life.

Love and Sausages (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5EMiHs5JbM)

Each Day We Work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1si6M-vDEzI)

Matt Stone and Trey Parker - Creators of South Park.They've influenced my opinions the most out of anybody living or dead.

Episode 6 Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXi7f9k0djI)

Doug Stanhope - The libertarian comedian. I like his attitude.

On Freedom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOQhPd2Xh4)

Maddox - A lot of my sense of humour was influenced by Maddox the pissed off computer programmer, who I dicovered when I was twelve and grew up reading.

The Best Page in the Universe (http://maddox.xmission.com/)

MANICHAEAN
12-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Tommy Cooper
Frankie Howard
George Burns (in his dotage)

Emil Miller
12-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Tony Hancock without question.

http://youtu.be/jDiKhGoUQXs

Varenne Rodin
12-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Bill Hicks, Stephen Wright, Ricky Gervais, Larry David, Norm Macdonald, Sarah Silverman. This might not be in order of greatness and I know I am leaving people out. Ultimately, Bill Hicks.

JuniperWoolf
01-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Another modern day great is Bob Saget. Yeah, the dad from 'Full House' is an extremely talented stand-up comedian (even though his show sucked). His stand up is very, very foul- but it's impossibly good. It's blue humor though. He's almost as good as Louis CK.

If I had to compile a list of comedians who desperately need to be thrown into the sun, Louis CK and Bob Saget would be at the very top. They try too hard to be "edgy" and opinionated, when in reality they're both just depressingly stupid.

KCurtis
01-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes :yesnod:

smerdyakov
01-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I think Stanhope is the only comedian around with the balls to attack anything under the sun. And the he has the skill to do it in a meaningful way, without coming across as completely gross and anarchistic. He goes way beyond Hicks in that respect; he is more real than Hicks ever was. But without Hicks there would be no Stanhope.

sadparadise
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
George Carlin (By Far a true Modern Man)
Larry, Curly, Moe

sadparadise
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
George Carlin (By Far a true Modern Man) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE

Larry, Curly, Moe

Sorry about the double post

Shalot
01-07-2012, 02:35 AM
That guy - I forget his name. Seriously, who farted?

And Jim Jeffries. Hilarious.

kiki1982
01-07-2012, 07:20 AM
ooh, a lot to choose from. Morcambe and Wise are a treat as are the two Ronnies (that's realy old, isn't it).

Nowadays I would go for Michael MacIntyre. Since his Royal Variety Performance we've got a man-drawer :).

There are so many good ones, but those are a few of a handful I stay in to watch.

They bring me sunshine :)

Deane
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Love comedy. Favourites have to be Mitch Hedberg, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Tommy Tiernan, Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Louis CK, Lee Evans, Tim Minchin.. I don't know, this list changes all the time depending on who I've been listening to the most recently.

A lot of the time I don't find Hicks, Stanhope or Minchin funny but I do love listening to them and find them very interesting. Of course, at times they can be hilarious but they're definitely not on this list because they make me laugh the most out of all the comedians I listen to, yanno?

Jack of Hearts
05-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Ah duh! In this reader's last response, he forgot to mention Groucho. What a cardinal sin.

But yeah, Louis CK is pretty much the man.

J

qimissung
05-14-2012, 12:29 AM
I love comedians, and everyone has mentioned some great ones. Jim Gaffigan is funny, and I adore Lewis Black. I also think Dave Chapelle is kinda funny (hehe, to quote papayahed). I think this might be the greatest piece of satire written in the last decade. It's by Chapelle, from his erstwhile tv show, and be forewarned there is a great deal of "language."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9iTYe6tEk

hazelk
05-14-2012, 03:43 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/gosox55/my%20lp%20collection/Jaime%20Brockett%20to%20Julian%20Bream/JonathanWintersandFriendsLaughLiveColumbiaPG31985. jpg

qimissung
05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Did you know Robin Williams worked extensively with and was greatly influenced by Winters?

hazelk
05-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Did you know Robin Williams worked extensively with and was greatly influenced by Winters?

Yes, I have a DVD with an interview where Robin praises Winters.

Motherof8
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Jack Benny and Red Skelton.

Darcy88
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
George Carlin and Dennis Leary. I don't care if Leary stole some of his material....his sense of humor and his delivery are awesome. Patrick Mckenna is hilarious, a very good comic showman, and another canuck I have to mention is That Canadian Guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eESRSgKS5Tw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZU09As3U

tonywalt
07-12-2012, 04:30 PM
George Carlin - Brilliant mind.

Also, The Marijuana Man (found on youtube). Very funny fella from British Columbia.

RicMisc
07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Jimmy Carr, Eddie Izzard, Robin Williams and Gabriel Iglesias are my favorite English speaking comedians and I have some other Dutch comedians that I really love as well! Such as Joep van 't Hek, Jorgen Raymann, Jandino Asporaat, Claudia de Breij etc.

Motherof8
07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Jack Benny and Red Skelton.

richardshelton
08-31-2012, 07:26 AM
I listen to comedy albums as much as hip hop so it's hard to narrow it down, but these are the best.

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Chris Rock
Louis C.K. (very underrated check out "Chewed Up")
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy
Doug Stanhope (also underrated)
Bill Cosby
Lewis Black
Brian Regan
Daniel Tosh (check out "True Stories I Made Up")
Katt Williams
Joe Rogan (Yeah, the Fear Factor Guy)
Russell Peters
Mitch Hedberg
Steven Wright (If you like Mitch, you'll like him)

I recommend all these comedians. Guaranteed LOLs