PDA

View Full Version : Tales from Shakspere

Tracey K.
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
hi, i have rec. a book from my grandmother, which is written by Charles and Mary Lamb, with forty engravings. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin and Company
printed the book before 12-25-1883, because this was a gift and the person who received it put the date she rec. also the book has a redish/brown hard cover, on the spine it has Riverside Standard Juveniles at the bottom , and Tales from Shakspere at the top, with a gold color with flowers looking like sunflowers.On the very last page there is a picture of Shakspere from the Monument at Stratford. On the front page there is a picture of Shakespere with other smaller people or images around him, down in the lower right side is a picture of a deer or moose. Can anyone tell me how old this book is and it's value? I don' t see any date on the book, other than what I have said above, thanks tracey k

jgweed
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
It was probably published in 1880 (365 pgs?). At least that is the only date that makes sense for the publisher and title (I am assuming that Shakspere was not how the name was spelled).
During the time, many publishers printed series of books designed for children or young adults, but these are often inexpensive editions with cloth covers, not "presentation" editions.
Its value will depend primarily on the condition (and detail) of the cover and the condition of the contents, since rarity would not be a factor.
Cheers,
John