PDA

View Full Version : August '08 Elimination

Scheherazade
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Please vote for the story you like best and the winner will be taking part in the final vote at the end of the year.

Discussion of the stories, to avoid influencing the outcome of the poll, are not allowed.

If contributers would like to ask questions, they should email us at [email protected].

Please note that the authors agree to keep their identities secret when they enter the competition.
Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

Good luck, everyone! :)

Competition Rules (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18200)

Note: This poll will close on September 1, 2008.

Logos
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
More great stories! I hope we get lots of votes this round. And as always, Scher thank you so much for your superb organisational skills in making this competition what it is, I think you deserve a Kitkat or 3 :D

Scheherazade
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Did someone mention KitKats and my name in the same sentence??? ;)

I think it is wonderful that each elimination we get so many stories... I did wonder initially how it would go but month after month (this is our third year!), we receive great entries! :)

Now, if we could only increase the number of votes cast as well...

:p

eyemaker
08-05-2008, 03:11 AM
The stories are all nice! LitNetters should cast their votes! Scher you did a great job! ;)

:p

I hope so..

lugdunum
08-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Excellent idea! This is a great thread! *clap clap clap*:banana:

Thanks to those sharing their stories and who are brave enough to post them and thanks for the efforts to organize this..

Just one (stupid newbie) question:

The rules say that:

5. Only those members with at least 100 posts by each voting period can submit stories for the competition and vote in the polls.

When you say by each voting period does it mean that to vote for one of the August short stories the 100 posts should be reached before August 1st or September 1st?

Logos
08-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Did someone mention KitKats and my name in the same sentence??? ;)Yup, you're always giving them away, I think you should reserve some for yourself too :D

:pYes, it's the middle of summer for most, many on holiday and such, I just hope people can still find the time to read and VOTE :)

lugdunum, this August elimination round poll is open until 1 September so I'm sure you can get to 100 posts before then and vote in this round :)

--

lugdunum
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I'll do my best ;)

Thanks Logos

Pendragon
08-09-2008, 10:30 AM
The contest requires more than just the finely crafted stories that are submitted by hopefuls. The contest requires readers that are planning on voting! And that will vote before the contest runs out! So read and vote today! You have only one vote, but why not make it count? It doesn't count for good intentions, it only counts if you vote! VOTE TODAY! :)

Janine
08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I finally found the story thread - yeah! I will have to read two a day to make it to Sept. I guess. There sure was a good response, and many great stories, but I hope to vote for just one.

Logos
08-18-2008, 08:21 AM
.... Note: This poll will close on September 1, 2008.

Just a reminder, we've had 12 votes so far, I'm sure many more of you have read the stories and are going to vote, please show your support for your fellow LitNetters! :)

Janine
08-19-2008, 02:21 AM
I read half tonight; when is the deadline? It is going to be hard to choice and vote on just one. So far, I liked all I read. Good showing and effort on everyone's part. I think we have some fine talent here on the forum.

Janine
08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I have read all 6 and will vote soon. Hurrah - finally got to read them all last night. I think they all are good and quite interesting; this will be a difficult choice to make.

Captain Pike
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
There, now I have voted. And not to say anything bad about any of the authors, the choice was easy for me to make. {edit} I take my hat off to anyone who will spend the time to write a story and submit it. Bravo.

Scheherazade
08-28-2008, 08:18 AM
This is an exciting poll!

Janine
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Scher, Yes, it is exciting. Looks close. I liked all the stories - it was a hard choice to pick just one. Maybe it will be a tie - then what?

Scheherazade
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
In case of a tie, we will extend the voting period.

Nossa
08-28-2008, 05:59 PM
It's been a bit slow at the beginning, but it IS getting exciting now. I'm really looking forward to seeing which story will win. They're all great stories!

Scheherazade
08-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Going once...

Scheherazade
08-30-2008, 05:48 PM
We have a tie...

Virgil
08-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh my!! :eek2:

Janine
08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Wowy...a tie, how interesting....so what now?

Scheherazade
08-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Wowy...a tie, how interesting....so what now?Still 13 more hours to go so things might change...

Going twice...

Nossa
08-31-2008, 08:25 AM
A tie!! Cool! This is gonna be good :D

motherhubbard
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
I just finished the stories and I think these were all very good. I wish I could vote for two and then give an honorable mention to two more. With a tie I feel some pressure and I’ll have to think for a while. I wonder if anyone else is going to vote. Is there another vote if the tie remains?

Scheherazade
08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I just finished the stories and I think these were all very good. I wish I could vote for two and then give an honorable mention to two more. With a tie I feel some pressure and I’ll have to think for a while. I wonder if anyone else is going to vote. Is there another vote if the tie remains?If there is a tie, we will have couple of extra days to vote, in the hope that other members will vote.

We still have about 8 hours so...

Scheherazade
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Since we have a tie, the voting will be open for another 5 days.

Captain Pike
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow! This is really cool! I haven't been around here that long but I've never seen anything like this. Someday, way in the future, we can be telling our grandchildren, "Ayah, (okay, a Maine colloquialism) 't was way back in ought 8...". I'd like to see some of the other stories catch up. Now that, would be something. Why don't more people vote? I mean, there must be loads of people reading this stuff, where are they?

Scheherazade
09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Why don't more people vote? I mean, there must be loads of people reading this stuff, where are they?That is a very good question and one of the mysteries of Forum life!

:D

eyemaker
09-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Come on LitNetters! Cast your votes.. This is our forums, I guess it's a good thing also in participating in some competition stuffs, like voting perhaps...

where are you????

Zippy
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
HEY YOU!!

…Yeah, I’m talking to you!

Don’t just drop in to read the latest post and then leave without voting! :(Some members have worked hard to entertain you. The least you could do is take a few minutes to read and vote! How would you like it if…

…Gee, thanks for voting. I knew you were one of the good guys! :thumbs_up

:lol:

sprinks
09-02-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm glad there was a few more days! I was sad when I saw that it ended on the 1st.... But then I saw it was extended, so I read and voted :).

motherhubbard
09-02-2008, 07:29 AM
There. it didn't help the tie, but I voted.

Pendragon
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Uncle Pen wants you to VOTE! These stories are worthy and if others can take the time to write them, surely we can take the time to VOTE! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Haste.gif

eyemaker
09-03-2008, 11:32 PM
huh?! 26???
where are other members? oh come on! Is it sooo hard to sit read and vote???

---*sigh*

Janine
09-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow, I hope some other people vote and someone breaks the tie, although I liked all the stories - decision was a tough one this time round.

papayahed
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
nevermind

Michigan J Frog
09-06-2008, 02:42 AM
I would vote but I am not allowed to =( (not enough posts?)

Captain Pike
09-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Boo-hoo for you Michigan J. Fox -- I know just how you feel, wasn't that long ago I protested what seemed to be a ridiculous requirement -- OUTRAGEOUS even. Check out the games forum, you can meet some of us, maybe even learn something and have some fun, all while Turbo boosting your post count.
Now, for those of you with a hundred plus posts, you've got a little more than two hours to tie it up again, or rather, ahem, vote for the story of your choice, while messing with the admin folks -- we're now in uncharted waters: SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE!

Pendragon
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Doesn't someone deserve to win? Vote people, we need votes! We need a winner, not just contenders! :D

Janine
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
aha.....somebody broke the tie.....now what? Is there a winner yet?

Scheherazade
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Congratulations to the writer of "The Unfathomable Weight of Revenge", which is the winner of our August Elimination.

You can now send your stories for the October elimination, which will be the last one for this year and we will have the final in November and December.

eyemaker
09-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm glad somebody had broke the tie..:)
congratulations to the writer of "The Unfathomable Weight of Revenge"..

Congratulations to the writer of "The Unfathomable Weight of Revenge", which is the winner of our August Elimination.

You can now send your stories for the October elimination, which will be the last one for this year and we will have the final in November and December.

*excited*:D

Virgil
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Congratualtions to who ever wrote the winning story. I guess I can now admit I'm the authore of "The Sun at the End of Life." It was a lot of fun and the tie made it climatic. Thanks to those (arminina, BigAl, Captain Pike, DickZ, Kizzo, Pablo, FifthE, Tractatus) who voted for my story. :) Perhaps I will set up a thread for comments on my story.

DickZ
09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Congratualtions to who ever wrote the winning story. I guess I can now admit I'm the authore of "The Sun at the End of Life." It was a lot of fun and the tie made it climatic. Thanks to those (arminina, BigAl, Captain Pike, DickZ, Kizzo, Pablo, FifthE, Tractatus) who voted for my story. :) Perhaps I will set up a thread for comments on my story.
I should wait until you set up your thread, Virgil, but in the meantime I can't help but say you really did a fantastic job with your story. You have obviously been through a similar experience, which in itself is important because it gives your story an air of authenticity. It's quite obvious that you didn't just dream it up - you had to have lived it.

But on top of that, you were masterful in conveying the feelings that somebody has in that situation. It gave me chills, and was certainly a winner in my eyes.

Virgil
09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I should wait until you set up your thread, Virgil, but in the meantime I can't help but say you really did a fantastic job with your story. You have obviously been through a similar experience, which in itself is important because it gives your story an air of authenticity. It's quite obvious that you didn't just dream it up - you had to have lived it.

But on top of that, you were masterful in conveying the feelings that somebody has in that situation. It gave me chills, and was certainly a winner in my eyes.

Why thank you so much Dick. I intend to set up a thread. As to being through the experience, I assume having someone in a nursing home. Yes I have. If you are referring to an end of life experience, no I have not. ;)

Janine
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Virgil, you did a stupendous job on your short story. I really had no idea who wrote which story and voting was difficult to say the least; although I would still have been partical had I known the authors. I congratulate the winner! Your story was fantastic. You all did a great job on this competition. I commend you all, and I was very glad to have read them all. I admit I only had the time to read each once and perhaps now need a second reading. I will like commenting on yours, Virgil, when you make up your thread. I hope others follow your example and also make individual threads. It would be great to print them all and read at my leisure.

motherhubbard
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Virgil, that was a wonderful story. I was torn between that one, Treasure in Heaven and Thirteen Stairs. Probably mostly between yours and Treasure in Heaven. There were so many good stories this time!

Nossa
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I really liked your story, Virgil. I already told you that I was choosing between yours and the one that won. It was a great story :D

Virgil
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Thank you ladies. :)

Virgil
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's a link to my story. http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=619633#post619633 I would love to hear your comments.

Janine
09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the link, Virgil. I will copy and put into an offline file and then print to read. Glad you are back!

PabloQ
09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Too bad we don't know who you are, but congratulations to this month's winner. I look forward to reading all the winners at the end of the year. I did not vote for the winner, I voted for Virgil's story.
I'll admit that I'm the author of Father's Day. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post it for commentary like Virgil did. I'm just happy I didn't get shut out.
Once again, congratulations to the winner.