PDA

View Full Version : Help me now. You will forever be praised.

Castaway
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Alright, so I have just finished the book (Wuthering Heights).

I need to write an essay about recurring events/parallel structures in the book, and its significance.

I found this essay on bookrags.com, which had to be paid for unfortunately ($7), don't call me stupid. I'm not in the mood.:flare:

hehe. Anyway, here it is:

In Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë's, the author uses repetition as a device to give us the full understanding of the characters and how they develop and repeat the past unknowingly. This is shown through the names of the characters and their actions throughout the novel. It would seem that nothing ever ends, but rather runs itself in a cycle, bringing the past into the present.

This is first shown when the older Catherine names her daughter after herself. The older Catherine dies before the younger Catherine could grow to really know her mother, but is able to show a distinguished quality of her mother through her actions. This could be seen in the younger Catherine's taunting of Joseph's evangelical ways. Both mother and daughter share a tendency towards headstrong behavior and sometimes, even arrogance. However, no matter how much both were alike, the younger Catherine shows a transformation from the older and is given into compassion.

The repetition of the characters' names from generation to generation gives meaning to the novel through other characters who interact with them. For example, Heathcliff often mistakes the younger Catherine for her mother in both her looks and her manners.

There is also a repetition of abuse that becomes apparent through Heathcliff by Hindly. Heathcliff later displays the abuse he was once implemented with through Hareton. Heathcliff's abuse did not stop at one person, however. It continued on to Isabella, who witnessed the hanging of her dog by Heathcliff, was also forced to witness Hareton hang a litter of puppies. Linton becomes, more or less, much like the father and son, and is soon torturing cats.

Another less evident display of repetition is abuse, in which the older Catherine is shown in rather bad light. The older Catherine became addicted to controlling the will of others, as well as manipulating them. The second Catherine shows her mother's dispositions to gain sympathy by manipulating others through her illness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That's only 321 words, I need 750....I won't be copying word for word, cause that's plagarism. But what I need help on is...what 3 specific things could I talk about, IN DETAIL? And yes, I did waste money, but it has helped greatly, and I am desperate because this is a summer assignment.

I apologise to those who will judge me from this one thread (because I find it unfair for people to be judgmental of someone, and it's easy to do that on the internet.)

I want THREE body paragraphs.

I know my first one will be about Catherine and her daughter....what stuff is there to discuss exactly...how are they alike, and how are they different?

My second one will be about abuse.... the Heathcliff/Hareton/Hindley thing....but what's there to discuss, and what is its significance? There's not much to say, and how can I write more than 6-8 sentences about it??

What should my last paragraph be about, also?

This is what I've written down myself so far, but I would appreciate some editing and advice:

Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights is an enthralling tale of romance and tragedy. One of the tactics you will notice the author has used is repetition - it seems that nothing ever ends in the story. Character's names are recycled, and all horrors of the past are repeated in the present

This is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. This is the most clear example in the book. Mother and daughter do not only share name, but specific characteristics also. Young Catherine treats her cousin Hareton with pity; she mocks him, and laughs at his misfortune of not being able to read or write. Likewise, Catherine treats her adopted brother Heathcliff in the same way - she laughs at him as he is a gipsy, a boy with no background. However, both Catherines learn to love their companions later on, yet each end their love story differently. Catherine prefers to marry the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she tells Nelly Dean, 'it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff'. Her daughter, however, has a happier ending - she marries the one she loves. The name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled - the daughter of Mr and Mrs Earnshaw gives birth to Catherine Linton, who marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name.

Now, what I want to know is...what is the SIGNIFICANCE of all these recurring things? I need to discuss that just as much as I discuss the actual events.

Also, my introduction is terrible, too short and doesn't say enough...I don't know what to say.

(Excuse any grammar and spelling mistakes, I'm typing this late..)

Castaway
07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I am extremely sorry for double posting but is there anyone at all who could help, there are many people online at the moment and this thread hs 60 views so I'm sure someone could do something..? I am desperate as I have 5 journal entries to write for Heart of Darkness. This isn't a good summer. :(

i've changed my first body paragraph :

This is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. Catherine dies before being able to even communicate and build a relationship with her daughter, yet young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways. A parallel event is that both Catherines have a similar love story. Young Catherine treats her cousin Hareton with pity, and mocks at his misfortune of being unable to read or write. Likewise, Catherine attends to Heathcliff in a similar way, she laughs at him for being dirty. Soon, though, both Catherines learn to love their companions, yet their situations end in polar opposites. Catherine Earnshaw, although truly in love with Heathcliff, marries the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she says ‘it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff’. Unlike her mother, young Catherine gives into compassion and marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled and the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name. Both Catherines are headstrong and arrogant, and manipulate others – Catherine by controlling the will of others, and the younger Catherine by trying to gain sympathy. In one way or another, they have hurt those closest to them.

I'm now writing about the abuse triangle of heathcliff/hindley/hareton :p

~Sado
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
It seems to me you could write your final paragraph on how the cycle of recurrence is broken, rather than maintained. Obviously, abuse is an important theme of the book, and so the signficance of the recurring events is mainly psychological, in that the novel tries to demonstrate how the abused become abusers themselves. In the end, Catherine and Heathcliff's love for each other is one that can be best described at 'sick' or at least as seriously derailed, and their plain egoism ruins those around them - neither of the two really actually 'love' in the idealistic sense of the word -- it is only in death, on the spiritual plane, that they come close to this.

One could read young Cathy as a kind of synthesis between Heathcliff and Catherine (even though Cathy is not Heathcliff's biological daughter) in that, where Catherine failed, Cathy manages to understand the true meaning of her feelings. As you wrote, Catherine was truly in love with Heathcliff, but she was ultimately too weak to stand up to this, and she chose to settle for the material wealth and security Edgar would provide her with should she marry him. Her ultimate reward for this was death.

I'd say there is plenty to write on.

Castaway
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
To give you a little more info, this is the writing prompt I'm answering:

In some novels and plays certain parallel or recurring events prove to be significant. In an essay, describe the major similarities and differences in a sequence of parallel or recurring events in a novel or play and discuss the significance of such events. Do not merely summarize the plot.

Okay my problem is that I don't know the significance of any of this. The danger is that in my paragraphs I am just summarizing stuff...is my paragraph about the Catherines good enough?

So, I will definitely be using the "hurt those closest to them" as a transition to my next paragraph, which is about the abuse that occurs through Heathcliff...

and there's plenty to write on? Ehhh..I just need one more element that's about repetition....my other big problem is the intro and conclusion. my intro sucks and I don't have a conclusion. xD

Castaway
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
here's what I have so far, I'm still editing the first body paragraph

Wuthering Heights

Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights is an enthralling tale of romance and tragedy. One of the tactics you will notice the author has used is repetition - it seems that nothing ever ends in the story. One of the repetition devices used in the story is the recycling of character names – Catherine Earnshaw. Another use of repetition is the prevalence of an abusive nature.

Repetition of names is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. Catherine dies before being able to even communicate and build a relationship with her daughter, yet young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways. A parallel event is that both Catherines treat their loved ones the same, but their love story ends in polar opposites. Young Catherine treats her cousin Hareton with pity, and mocks at his misfortune of being unable to read or write. Likewise, Catherine attends to Heathcliff in a similar way, she laughs at him for being dirty. Soon, though, both Catherines learn to love their companions. Catherine Earnshaw, although truly in love with Heathcliff, marries the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she says ‘it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff’. Unlike her mother, young Catherine gives into compassion and marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled and the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name. The significance of this is that it displays the relationship between the characters, and how the same situations seem to haunt the same person, Heathcliff, throughout the book. As soon as Catherine dies, Heathcliff says “Take any form – drive me mad – but do not leave me, in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” Therefore, he feels haunted by her presence for the rest of his life, although she is dead. He sees her in her daughter. Both Catherines are headstrong and arrogant, and manipulate others – Catherine by controlling the will of others, and the younger Catherine by trying to gain sympathy. In one way or another, they have hurt those closest to them.

Similarly, a repetition of abuse is evident, through Heathcliff, in both the first and second half of the book. Heathcliff was found on the streets of Liverpool by Mr. Earnshaw, and was brought into Wuthering Heights as his adopted son. Mr. Earnshaw’s son, Hindley, despises Heathcliff from the moment he sets his eyes on him. When Hindley becomes master of Wuthering Heights, he degrades Heathcliff, sending him to the stables to work as a common laborer. Heathcliff takes revenge on Hindley through his son Hareton – Heathcliff treats Hareton with the same abuse he received. Heathcliff forces Hareton to work as a servant in his own home, and treats him severely. Heathcliff, having once been the victim of Hareton’s father’s abuse, knows the pain Hareton is going through, yet feels no remorse, as he says “I can sympathise with all his feelings, having felt them myself. I know what he suffers now, for instance, exactly: it is merely a beginning of what he shall suffer, though. I’ve got him faster than his scoundrel of a father served me and lower.”

Castaway
08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I have less than 3 weeks left, still a little confused here...

Castaway
08-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't mean to keep posting like this, but I really do need help, for goodness' sake.

This is only 638 words, I need, like 750. Please?! Anyone. Read this:

Wuthering Heights

Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights is an enthralling tale of romance and tragedy. One of the tactics you will notice the author has used is repetition - it seems that nothing ever ends in the story. One of the repetition devices used in the story is the recycling of character names – Catherine Earnshaw. Another use of repetition is the prevalence of an abusive nature.

Repetition of names is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. Catherine Earnshaw, although truly in love with Heathcliff, marries the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she says ‘it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff’. Unlike her mother, young Catherine gives into compassion and marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled and the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name. Likewise, Isabella Heathcliff her son 'Linton', which was the name of her brother, and thus the name Linton is repeated through the novel. Repetition of names indirectly shows repetition of characters. It is as if they have not died; they re-appear, through their children. This is not only shown through their names, but through their personalities also.

Furthermore, another piece of repetition in the novel is similar characteristics and events between the first and second generation of characters. For instance, Linton Heathcliff resembles the worst of both of his parents. He is demanding like Heathcliff, yet weak and simpering like Isabella. An illustration of this would be how he treats young Catherine when she visits him. He says “I’m ill tonight, Catherine, love, and you must have all the talk, and let me listen. Come and sit by me. I was sure you wouldn’t break your word and I’ll make you promise again, before you go.” Here, he is showing his weakness by stating that he is ill, yet at the same time remains insistent by making Catherine promise to him. Catherine dies before being able to even communicate and build a relationship with her daughter, yet young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways. The significance of this is that it displays the relationship between the characters, and how the same situations seem to haunt the same person, Heathcliff, throughout the book. As soon as Catherine dies, Heathcliff says “Take any form – drive me mad – but do not leave me, in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” Therefore, he feels haunted by her presence for the rest of his life, although she is dead. Both Catherines are headstrong and arrogant, and manipulate others – Catherine by controlling the will of others, and the younger Catherine by trying to gain sympathy. In one way or another, they have hurt those closest to them.

Similarly, a repetition of abuse is evident, through Heathcliff, in both the first and second half of the book. Heathcliff was found on the streets of Liverpool by Mr. Earnshaw, and was brought into Wuthering Heights as his adopted son. Mr. Earnshaw’s son, Hindley, despises Heathcliff from the moment he sets his eyes on him. When Hindley becomes master of Wuthering Heights, he degrades Heathcliff, sending him to the stables to work as a common laborer. Heathcliff takes revenge on Hindley through his son Hareton – Heathcliff treats Hareton with the same abuse he received. Heathcliff forces Hareton to work as a servant in his own home, and treats him severely. Heathcliff, having once been the victim of Hareton’s father’s abuse, knows the pain Hareton is going through, yet feels no remorse, as he says “I can sympathise with all his feelings, having felt them myself. I know what he suffers now, for instance, exactly: it is merely a beginning of what he shall suffer, though. I’ve got him faster than his scoundrel of a father served me and lower.”

qimissung
08-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello Castaway,

Maybe I can help a little. You are off to a good start. I would personally change your opening paragraph. It is supposed to be interesting, as well as tell what you are going to do. Let me think a minute as to what I would say.

I think you'll have enough by discussing Catherine and her daughter (1), abuse of and by Heathcliffe (2), and how the cycle is broken or ended in the third.

You've done a good job by including some quotes. Remember that you are comparing and contrasting these repetitive events-so far you've just said how they are alike; is there anyway they are different?

qimissung
08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
You might try comparing Catherine and Heathcliffe with Cathy and Hareton; it is, after all, another repititon-that of lover's.

qimissung
08-09-2008, 08:41 PM
"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte is an engrossing story of love's often destructive powers set against the destructive power of nature. Bronte tells this complex tale by using one of literatures most common devices, that of repetition. In her enthralling tale of romance and tragedy it seems that nothing ever ends-names are recycled, abuse is prevalent, and the beautiful are drawn to the strong.

qimissung
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
O.K. Let me know if that helps.

Castaway
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks so much!!!

here's my 2nd paragraph again...now how is it?

i have 714 words...i just need 36 words now.

Furthermore, another piece of repetition in the novel is similar characteristics between the first and second generation of characters. For instance, Linton Heathcliff resembles the worst of both of his parents. He is demanding like Heathcliff, yet weak and simpering like Isabella. An illustration of this would be how he treats young Catherine when she visits him. He says “I’m ill tonight, Catherine, love, and you must have all the talk, and let me listen. Come and sit by me. I was sure you wouldn’t break your word and I’ll make you promise again, before you go.” Here, he is showing his weakness by stating that he is ill, yet at the same time remains insistent by making Catherine promise to him. Also, Catherine dies before being able to even communicate and build a relationship with her daughter, yet young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways. The significance of this is that it displays the relationship between the characters, and how the same situations seem to haunt the same person, Heathcliff, throughout the book. As soon as Catherine dies, Heathcliff says “Take any form – drive me mad – but do not leave me, in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” Therefore, he feels haunted by her presence for the rest of his life, although she is dead. However, the love stories of both Catherines end differently. The mother does not marry the one she has truly fallen for, but for the one that will make her most powerful, and the daughter does the opposite, the one she falls in love with is the one she marries, although beforehand is forced by Heathcliff to marry Linton. Both Catherines, though, are headstrong and arrogant, and manipulate others – Catherine by controlling the will of others, and the younger Catherine by trying to gain sympathy. In one way or another, they have hurt those closest to them.

qimissung
08-10-2008, 01:24 AM
1. You start off with Linton, and while I know you are not supposed to summarize, I think it would be a good idea to mention his ultimate fate-was it in part caused by the negative character traits he inherited from his parents?

2.You mention that young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways-you need to give a specific, concrete example of this.

3.Take out the sentence "The significance of this..." It is a weak transition to Heathcliffe.If you are going to refer to him next just use the last part of the sentence: Heathcliffe, more than any of the others, seems haunted by the same situations throughout the book...

4.Can you talk about the mother and Catherine at the same time? It's confusing that you insert the lines about Heathcliffe in between them. Put his first if you want, then move on to young Cathy (she will always have to be specifically identified anyway), then you can end with what you've written about Catherine.

These are really just a few minor changes. You are doing a fairly good job of providing insight, which is the most important part, anyway!

Good luck. I'll check back tomorrow.

Castaway
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, no, well, this is like, the finished product, I dont' know what to change, exactly. And my BIG problem is, I can't write a conclusion. I really can't think of one. It should be just a few sentences, something minor like my intro, but I'm finding it hard.

the reason I said "the significance of.." is to show why repetition is important. I typed out the writing prompt in one of my earlier posts, and it says to include the significance of the repetition, not just summarizing the plot or whatever =/ so I thought I'd exaggerate the point, idk. :(

Wuthering Heights

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë is an engrossing story of love's often destructive powers set against the destructive power of nature. Brontë tells this complex tale by using one of literatures’ most common devices, that of repetition. In her enthralling tale of romance and tragedy, it seems that nothing ever ends. One of the repetition devices used in the story is the recycling of character names – Catherine Earnshaw. Another use of repetition is the prevalence of an abusive nature.

Repetition of names is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. Catherine Earnshaw, although truly in love with Heathcliff, marries the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she says ‘it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff’. Unlike her mother, young Catherine gives into compassion and marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled and the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name. Likewise, Isabella Heathcliff names her son 'Linton', which was the name of her brother, and so, the name Linton is also repeated in the novel. Repetition of names indirectly shows repetition of characters. It is as if they have not died; they re-appear, through their children. This is not only shown through their names, but through their personalities also.

Furthermore, another piece of repetition in the novel is similar characteristics between the first and second generation of characters. For instance, Linton Heathcliff resembles the worst of both of his parents. He is demanding like Heathcliff, yet weak and simpering like Isabella. An illustration of this would be how he treats young Catherine when she visits him. He says “I’m ill tonight, Catherine, love, and you must have all the talk, and let me listen. Come and sit by me. I was sure you wouldn’t break your word and I’ll make you promise again, before you go.” Here, he is showing his weakness by stating that he is ill, yet at the same time remains insistent by making Catherine promise to him. Also, Catherine dies before being able to even communicate and build a relationship with her daughter, yet young Catherine, through her actions, resembles her mother in various ways. The significance of this is that it displays the relationship between the characters, and how the same situations seem to haunt the same person, Heathcliff, throughout the book. As soon as Catherine dies, Heathcliff says “Take any form – drive me mad – but do not leave me, in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” Therefore, he feels haunted by her presence for the rest of his life, although she is dead. However, the love stories of both Catherines end differently. The mother does not marry the one she has truly fallen for, but for the one that will make her most powerful, and the daughter does the opposite, the one she falls in love with is the one she marries, although beforehand is forced by Heathcliff to marry Linton. Both Catherines, though, are headstrong and arrogant, and manipulate others – Catherine by controlling the will of others, and the younger Catherine by trying to gain sympathy. In one way or another, they have hurt those closest to them.

Similarly, a repetition of abuse is evident, through Heathcliff, in both the first and second half of the book. Heathcliff was found on the streets of Liverpool by Mr. Earnshaw, and was brought into Wuthering Heights as his adopted son. Mr. Earnshaw’s son, Hindley, despises Heathcliff from the moment he sets his eyes on him. When Hindley becomes master of Wuthering Heights, he degrades Heathcliff, sending him to the stables to work as a common laborer. Heathcliff takes revenge on Hindley through his son Hareton – Heathcliff treats Hareton with the same abuse he received. Heathcliff forces Hareton to work as a servant in his own home, and treats him severely. Heathcliff, having once been the victim of Hareton’s father’s abuse, knows the pain Hareton is going through, yet feels no remorse, as he says “I can sympathise with all his feelings, having felt them myself. I know what he suffers now, for instance, exactly: it is merely a beginning of what he shall suffer, though. I’ve got him faster than his scoundrel of a father served me and lower.” Heathcliff does not stop his abuse at one person, however, he continues by forcing Isabella to witness the hanging of her dog.

qimissung
08-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I think what you have will suffice. I don't know your teacher or her standards, but I think you've done pretty well.

I will go ahead and give you a closing paragraph-use whatever parts of it you like, or think will work. You did the bulk of the work, or I wouldn't do this.

As Bronte warns us in the opening paragraphs of her book, all the characters "divided the desolation" between them. Bronte ends the cycle with the fluttering of the moths among the harebells, and a "soft wind breathing through the grass." The benighted are at rest in this bucolic setting, and Cathy and Edgar have each other, and are strong enough to live-and love.

I haven't read this book in years, so if I am not correct in my assessment, feel free change what you need to change. Good luck!

Castaway
08-16-2008, 10:52 PM
What do you think of this? It's the full anything...does it need to be edited? any mistakes at all? spelling/grammar/punctuation, or anything that doesn't make sense?

Wuthering Heights

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë is an engrossing story of love's often destructive powers set against the destructive power of nature. Brontë tells this complex tale by using one of literatures’ most common devices, that of repetition. In her enthralling tale of romance and tragedy, it seems that nothing ever ends, everything continues in a cycle. One of the repetition devices used in the story is the recycling of character names. Also, characteristics are repeated through generations of characters and another use of repetition is the prevalence of abuse.

Repetition of names is first noticed when Catherine Linton, whose maiden name is Catherine Earnshaw, names her daughter after herself. Catherine Earnshaw, although truly in love with Heathcliff, marries the rich and graceful Edgar Linton, as she says ‘it would degrade me to marry Heathcliff’. Unlike her mother, young Catherine gives into compassion and marries Hareton Earnshaw. Thus, the name of Catherine Earnshaw is recycled and the story starts and ends with a woman of the same name. Likewise, Isabella Heathcliff names her son 'Linton', which was the name of her brother, and so, the name Linton is also repeated in the novel. Repetition of names indirectly shows repetition of characters. It is as if they have not died; they re-appear, through their children. This is not only shown through their names, but through their personalities also.

Repetition in a novel is a frequent pattern used in stories; it explains relationships between certain characters, and helps to define the plot of the novel. In Wuthering Heights, this is one of the most powerful literary devices used, and is shown most frequently. In the second half of the story, various similarities appear through the second generation of characters: their names, their personalities and their actions; Young Catherine having a strong resemblance to her mother, Linton showing the worst of his parents, and the repetition of abuse through Heathcliff.

qimissung
08-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Hello Castaway,

I can give you a few suggestions as far as grammatical errors go; my students have many second language issues and often read below grade level, so I am used to correcting papers with many mistakes. You do not have this difficulty, so if your teacher gives you back a paper that is really marked up, I apologize. It looks fairly clean to me. So, having said that, here goes:

1) I would put a semi-colon after "rich and graceful Edgar Linton;"

2)instead of "another piece of repetition is the similar characteristic..." I would say instead..."another repetitive device in the novel is..."

3) I still don't like the sentence that begins "The significance of this is..." mainly because, coming after the sentence about the two Catherine's, it should refer to them, and it doesn't. It also goes on to say "..and how the same situations seem to haunt the same person, Heathcliffe." What same situation? That of his relationship with his son? Do you want to say, 'The significance of this is that is displays the relationship between mother and daughter'? and then perhaps: "Heathcliffe, also, is haunted by the same situations over and over again."

4)This sentence is also not clear: "Repetition in a novel creates patterns in stories..." Well, a novel is a very long story. I think you can just say, "Repetition in a novel creates patterns that help the reader examine the various relationships and themes in the story. "

5) Last, I think your conclusion is simply a repetition of your introduction. I can't say that absolutely your teacher will dislike it, and it probably isn't going to ruin your paper if you leave it the way it is. But I will suggest again, that while you can briefly re-state what you were examining, you can raise your paper to a higher level by giving an insight (based on what you have examined) that has not been mentioned previously. You are, at this point, saving the best for last. Go for a universal theme that all people can learn from or have experienced. I would personally mention Edgar and Cathy. It is my understanding that they are kind of better, happier versions of Heathcliffe and Catherine-they're going to get the great love that was denied their parents.

Well, whatever happens, you've put a lot of work into your paper. I think you did an outstanding job. Well done! Pat yourself on the back and give a big sigh of relief-the end is in sight, just in time for school to start. If you think of it, let me know what you make on th paper-you can PM me, or leave a brief message here-and have a great school year! :)

Qimissung

Castaway
08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I've changed most of it, but I don't know how to re-do my conclusion, after all I was stuck on that more than anything else... :(

I need it by tomorrow. I'm going to school on thursday. I'm still not sure..

qimissung
08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Repetition in a novel creates patterns that help the reader examine the various relationships and themes in the story. This is one of the most powerful literary devices used in "Wuthering Heights." In the second half of the story various similarities appear through the second generation of characters in their names, their personalities, and their actions: young Catherine having a strong resemblance to her mother, Linton showing the worst of his parents, and the repetition of abuse through Heathcliffe. As Bronte warns us in the opening paragraphs of her book, all the characters "divided the desolation" between them. Bronte ends the cycle with the fluttering of the moths among the harebells, and a "soft wind breathing through the grass." The benighted are at rest in this bucolic setting, and Cathy and Edgar have each other, and are strong enough to live and love, and so the cycle finally ends.

qimissung
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I had posted a possible ending earlier; I don't know if you saw it. This is a combination of yours and mine. Use it or not as it pleases you. One other thing: I believe that "Wuthering Heights" should be underlined-I often use quotation marks, but that's just because it's hard to underline on these things.

Good luck. I hope this helps. Let me know how it all turns out, and have a good first day of school. :)

Castaway
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
it's too late, I couldn't add it.

I got a 5/9 :(

qimissung
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry! Why?:(