PDA

View Full Version : Loved This Book

Cheryl in S.F.
07-23-2008, 11:22 PM
I should start by saying I do not read books very often because my vision is so poor, but I can manage online when I fiddle with text size and color details. Most of the reading I've done in the past few years has been audio books and yet reading in one own's voice is an altogether different experience.

But this book grabbed me right away because it took me to another place and time and I loved Wharton's use of language. I poured over every sentence and often read passages out loud just to hear them trip along my tongue.

A younger friend asked me recently why all the "best books" - the ones considered classics - are all older. Well besides having more time to consider their relative worth, they all seem to transport one to another place and time or some human condition that is universal.

I found the ending to be perfect. You cannot recapture your foolish youth and set things right when so much time and experience has come between you and the rest of the world. In the end, Archer had a good life; it just wasn't quite the one that sparked him.

I finished the book today. I recommend it to those who can open their minds up to embrace another reality. Lots has changed in one hundred and forty years and also many things have stayed the same.