PDA

View Full Version : The Cherry Orchard story analysis.

eyemaker
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm needing your help guys. Anton Chekov's The Cherry Orchard is our main discussion nex week, so I started reading it and yesterday I finished it. The story is nice and I love how Chekov made his theme. I just have one thing to clarify about the story.
Many of the most important and traumatic events in the play—Grisha's drowning, the sale of the orchard, Ranevsky's suicide attempt—either happen before the play's action or off-stage. Why do you think Chekhov would stage some of the most dramatic events outside the confines of the play itself? What effect does this have on the play?

thank you in advance

---eye

MoneyMonsta
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
hmm i will look into that for you pal, i will see what i can do, for you, adn find you the thing you want.

Gladys
12-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Why do you think Chekhov would stage some of the most dramatic events outside the confines of the play itself? What effect does this have on the play?

Chekhov, writing at the end of Henrik Ibsen's life, benefited from exposure to the Norwegian genius. In Ibsen, plays end with high drama, with explosive shock. But life, for the most part, is rather mundane with only the occasional bombshell. Chekov's plays depict life as it generally is and, surprisingly, reality and the familiar can be equally fascinating.

In The Cherry Orchard every character's expectations are, more or less, confirmed. And isn't life is usually like that?