PDA

View Full Version : War and Peace or Anna Karenina?

eyemaker
07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
I've recently reread both Tolstoy's most celebrated works-hey took me a lot less time than I thought they would. After reading those works i've fancy Russian Literarture.

But I must ask you if which book would you prefer?
For you, which is great?

johann cruyff
07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Both are great,and I enjoyed them both immensely. Anna Karenina did have a certain note of soap-opera from time to time,but I think I like it a bit more. Levin is,in my opinion,one of the best literary characters ever created,so that's a plus too. I vote Anna K.

Agatha
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
It's a hard choice :) But I prefer War and Peace, though Anna Karenina is a great novel too. I liked War and Peace so much, because it's a great story about love, betrayal, war, Russian society. And it takes place in Napoleonic times- my favorite historical period :)

eyemaker
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes both Tolstoy's novel are great! It's hard to choose from any of those.

bazarov
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Anna Karenina is like everything good from War and Peace, and Levin is much much better then Bezuhov or Prince Andrey. So, Anna Karenina. Or maybe War and Peace? Damn, it's hard...

MilanGupta
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
war and peace and anna karenina are different in many aspects. When i read anna karenina for the first time i absolutely loved it. but i feel that war and peace is the better book as it covers more characters and studies characters better. the way tolstoy has described the psychologies of characters like andrew bolkonski and pierre bezukhov is amazing. reading both of his novels makes one wonder "how does he know this?". in anna karenina although levin is definitely a likeable character i loved the way tolstoy sympathized with Karenin in the middle part of the novel, and how he described his eventual succumbing to mysticism. wait a bit i am getting down to analyzing the novel! so i would say that anna karenina is the one you would find better and perhaps easier if you read tolstoy for the first time, however war and peace represents better master over the psychology of characters