PDA

View Full Version : Rivers

Sorrowjoy
08-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Iīm looking for poems about rivers: something contemplative, describing the river itself: the flow, the waves, the sunīs reflection on the rivers surface .....

Any references? Any examples?

Admin
08-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Not a poem, but the book Siddhartha has alot of river symbolism.

RiverGirl
10-09-2002, 11:00 AM
I live on the river....it really is beautiful, especially this time of year....I'll try to find some things for you.

RiverGirl
10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
(lightheartidly) CCR has some good stuff about the river....I love to listen to that CD here.
"People on the river are happy to give."
it's so true.
:)
take care, still looking.

with lovingkindness,
Karen

Sorrowjoy
10-11-2002, 05:07 AM
Do you mean CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL? Are you thinking of any song in particular?

Do you know "The River" by Springsteen?

Itīs so amazing to watch a ship gliding through the water, see how it is making its way through the waves. There is something magic in this fluid motion.

RiverGirl
10-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Yes, CCR. No I havent heard Bruces' version of a river song.
Green River is a good one by CCR. also "Proud Mary" I think is about the river.
The boats around here, even the ducks and fish create ripples that I'm sure can be felt many miles away...it reminds me of the impact of my simple day to day activities.
The river teaches me daily if I'll just listen and watch.
It's not just the river I find magical, it's water in general.
I just got back from Daytona FL several weeks ago, a several days to get to know the ocean...what a beautiful thing it is.

I'll leave ya with a quote I thought about today.
"To know I am nothing is wisdom.
To know I am everything is Love."
~?

with Lovingkindness,
Karen

Sorrowjoy
10-11-2002, 02:37 PM
The boats around here, even the ducks and fish create ripples that I'm sure can be felt many miles away...it reminds me of the impact of my simple day to day activities.

Maybe this is one of the things I am fascinated about. On some days, I feel so blocked in mind, and I cannot do anything, although there is so much work still undone. I simply donīt know where to start. But the river always "knows" what to do: flowing all the time - there is no break! And it is ok.

This is so amazing: this never-ending flowing. And you cannot hold the moment, for the water runs through your hands.

I still have to think more about these things. And I will think about your quote as well.

Admin
10-11-2002, 05:09 PM
If you're talking about songs as poetry billy joel has this one with a ton of river symbolism in it.

"River of Dreams"

RiverGirl
10-14-2002, 11:53 AM
.....reminds me of the wind (somedays I feel blocked).
There are days when the wind, even though it's there I don't feel it. Then there are days when the wind is so fierce and lets itself known so that it takes my breath away.
Then the river, I notice the debris collecting in the channels.....it takes a storm to move it out.
It's all very natural, no sense in fighting nature, ya think?
Like nature, we have our cycles, not always mechanically producing...thank goodness.....LOL