PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeare Stage and Screen Pictures

sofia82
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
The performing aspect makes drama different from other literary genres. Since ancient times, drama was written to be performed in public, rather than being read in private. This element demands studying drama from a performing aspect, in addition to a literary one. Moreover, drama became an individual art, categorized as performing art.

In the course of discussing The Winter's Tale in the Summer Discussion Group, I realized it would be interesting if we pay attention to this aspect of art and expression, in addition to the literary one. Through the years, there have been many fine productions, both stage and screen, based on Shakespeare's plays; in addition, there have been operas, ballets, TV productions, movie posters, movie programs, etc. There exists a wealth of photos from these productions. These would be of great interest to those that appreciate Shakespeare's amazing body of work and enjoy the visual aspect of the performing arts, based upon those great works.

Please include:

Play title
Place/Location
Date
Actor or Actors (in the photo)
Any additional information that might add interest to your photo

And if interested, visit the Summer Discussion Group (The Winter's Tale) here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35848&highlight=winter%27s+tale)

And with special thanks to Janine!

Janine
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Sophia, this is wonderful! :thumbs_up I will be posting some more photos tonight. Thanks for my 'thank you' line;); I was happy to help.

Since you mentioned "The Winter's Tale" discussion, here is a DVD of a production; available through Kultur:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/AWintersTaleRSC-1.jpg

Royal Shakespeare Company, Barbican Theatre (2005)
starring Sir Antony Sher

The Royal Shakespeare Company production of The Winter's Tale, performed at the Barbican Theatre, London, presented here for the first time in a complete and un-edited edition. This landmark production was hailed by critics and played to packed houses both in Stratford and London.

:lol:Sophia, believe it or not; I just ordered this online. I should probably become poor, posting on this thread.

sofia82
06-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Sophia, this is wonderful! :thumbs_up I will be posting some more photos tonight. Thanks for my 'thank you' line;); I was happy to help.

You're welcome. and thank you for sharing the photo.

Since you mentioned "The Winter's Tale" discussion, here is a DVD of a production; available through Kultur:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/AWintersTaleRSC-1.jpg

Royal Shakespeare Company, Barbican Theatre (2005)
starring Sir Antony Sher

:bawling: Janine, this site was blocked here yesterday. :bawling:

The Royal Shakespeare Company production of The Winter's Tale, performed at the Barbican Theatre, London, presented here for the first time in a complete and un-edited edition. This landmark production was hailed by critics and played to packed houses both in Stratford and London.

:lol:Sophia, believe it or not; I just ordered this online. I should probably become poor, posting on this thread.

Oh, dear :lol:, so try to use online photos, I don't want you to be poor sharing your photos in this thread :D. Thank you!

Janine
06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Sophia, You mean Lit Net was blocked yesterday? I could get on this site, but several days ago, I was blocked from the site for some reason. So were many others I know. Sorry you could not get on the forum.

You misunderstood me; I did copy and paste the photo from the internet - that was free. I bought the DVD for my collection. I have a nice collection of Shakespeare film adaptations/memorabilia. I love them! I need a film of "Romeo and Juliet" - the ballet version. I have it in my 'wishlist' on Amazon, as well as an older version of "Midsummer Night's Dream" - also the ballet. I can't wait to get a hold of each of those. I saw a version tonight of the first, and will tell you all about it. Tomorrow I will post a photo of the woman who starred in this ballet in another production of R&J. You will love it. She was amazing and so lovely, graceful.

sofia82
06-25-2008, 02:37 AM
When Simon Forman saw the play at the Globe in May 1611 he was struck by its plot (if not by the statue scene, which he does not mention) and specially by Autolycus ('the rogue that came in all tattered like colt-pixie . . . Beware of trusting feigned beggars or fawning fellows').

Whatever features of the play pleased contemporaries, it was well liked at court, where it was acted in November 1611, during the celebrations of Princess Elizabeth's wedding over Christmas 1612-13, in 1618, possibly 1619, in 1624, and in 1634. After this, however, it fell from favour (though it may have formed the basis of a droll called Dorastus and Fawnid), and when it was revived in the 18th century it generally appeared only in truncated pieces. The play was performed whole, briefly, at both the semi-legal Goodman's Fields theatre and at Covent Garden during the 'Shakespeare boom' of 1741, but thereafter was usually reduced to its pastoral scenes, with more or less of the fifth act grafted hastily on as an ending: Macnamara Morgan produced the first such adaption of the second half of the play as The Sheep-Shearing; or, Florizel and Perdita (1754), which excludes Leontes and has the Old Shepherd turn out to be Antigonus after all. He was successfully emulated by David Garrick, whose popular afterpiece Florizel and Perdita: A Dramatic Pastoral (1756) restores both Leontes and much of the ending: the Sicilian King is washed up in Bohemia after a shipwreck, where he helps Florizel and Perdita, and the statue scene is conducted by an expatriated Paulina. Attempts to reclaim the whole play (by Charles Marsh, whose 1756 adaptation was never acted, and by Thomas Hull in 1771) were less popular, and it was only restored by Kemble in 1802 (who still used Garrick's ending until 1811).

The play was little revived in the 19th century, though Macready, Phelps, and (briefly) "Irving all experimented with the role of Leontes: two conspicuous productions, however, were those of Charles Kean and Mary Anderson. Kean adopted Hanmer's long-discredited emendation of 'Bohemia' to 'Bithynia', setting this most historically eclectic of plays in a consistent ancient Greek period, his 1856 production decorated by meticulous reference to artefacts in the British Museum. This revival was vividly and meticulously burlesqued by the Brough brothers' Perdita; or, The Royal Milkmaid (1856). In 1887 Mary Anderson drew notice by doubling Hermione and Perdita (a distracting trick which would be repeated by Judi Dench in Trevor Nunn's production of 1969). Ellen Terry played Hermione in Beerbohm Tree's condensed three-act production of 1906: Granville-Barker's attempt to restore a full text in 1912 was a critical failure. It would still be hard to name a stage production that had been genuinely popular rather than not discreditable, or that had done equal justice to the play's elements of tragedy and of comedy, though Peter Brook's production of 1951, with John Gielgud as Leontes, impressed many critics, as did Declan Donellan and Nick Ormerod's production for the Russian Maly company in 1999. Notable performers as Leontes have included Patrick Stewart (icily obsessive, 1983),
Jeremy Irons (relapsing into infantile insecurity, 1986), and Antony Sher (pathologically jealous as if for medical reasons, 1998).

The Oxford Companion to Shakespeare, M. Dobson and S. Wells (Eds.)

sofia82
06-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Sophia, I don't think your quotes worked - you put the slash after the quote at the end, instead of before. Also you missed enclosing my ending quote about the play; funny, it should have automatically quoted those for you. You can easily edit your post, to fix it.

Thank you fore mentioning that, I fixed it.

You mean Lit Net was blocked yesterday? I could get on this site, but several days ago, I was blocked from the site for some reason. So were many others I know. Sorry you could not get on the forum.

No, not Forum fortunately. But the photobucket. A few days ago I told one of my friend from Tehran where photobucket was blocked there, "it is not blocked here," and now it is blocked.

You misunderstood me; I did copy and paste the photo from the internet - that was free. I bought the DVD for my collection. I have a nice collection of Shakespeare film adaptations/memorabilia. I love them! I need a film of "Romeo and Juliet" - the ballet version. I have it in my 'wishlist' on Amazon, as well as an older version of "Midsummer Night's Dream" - also the ballet. I can't wait to get a hold of each of those. I saw a version tonight of the first, and will tell you all about it. Tomorrow I will post a photo of the woman who starred in this ballet in another production of R&J. You will love it. She was amazing and so lovely, graceful.

:lol: what a misunderstanding. Watch on behalf of me, too. I'm waiting for that you tell about this production.

Janine
06-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Sophia, are we playing hide and seek tonight? I should be in bed by now. I am typing with one eye open. I hope to read what you just posted tomorrow. It looks very interesting.

I saw you edited and so did I. You post works better now. Thanks.

Antony Sher (pathologically jealous as if for medical reasons, 1998

Gee, that is the play I just ordered; what do they mean by that last statement, do you think - he was mad or insane?

We must be posting the same time. :lol:

Back in here again to edit. :lol: - you can view some of the excerpts on You tube tomorrow when I post the direct link; I will make up a page of all "Romeo and Juliet" ballets and then one of the films. Do you have assess to You tube?
Oh, no wonder Photobucket was so slow today and kept refusing to upload my photos. They must have been having technical difficulties, what do you think?

sofia82
06-25-2008, 02:51 AM
The earliest film recorded is a ten-minute American silent version (1910), followed by Italian (1913) and German films (1914). A now-scarce film of The Winter's Tale was made in 1960, with Laurence Harvey as Leontes, and there was a BBC TV production two years later, but Jane Howell's production (1980) for the BBC series remains its most satisfactory screen incarnation: for its time it was adventurous in its use of the medium, with stylized settings
and considerable use of close-up asides to camera.

The Oxford Companion to Shakespeare, M. Dobson and S. Wells (Eds.)

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Sophia, are we playing hide and seek tonight? I should be in bed by now. I am typing with one eye open. I hope to read what you just posted tomorrow. It looks very interesting.

It seems so :D.

Gee, that is the play I just ordered; what do they mean by that last statement, do you think - he was mad or insane?

So, it is your post about this adaptation. the matter is that he became mad/insane or was?;)

Back in here again to edit. :lol: - you can view some of the excerpts on You tube tomorrow when I post the direct link; I will make up a page of all "Romeo and Juliet" ballets and then one of the films. Do you have assess to You tube?

It's not been blocked yet. I hope it won't.

Oh, no wonder Photobucket was so slow today and kept refusing to upload my photos. They must have been having technical difficulties, what do you think?

The problem is not with the site it is blocked by ISP's here. :(

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Play title: The Winter's Tale
Place/Location: Loeb Drama Center
Date: May 12 - June 11, 2000
Directed by: Slobodan Unkovski
For more information visit this site: http://www.amrep.org/past/winter/winter.html

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter2.jpg

Henry Woronicz (Leontes) and Mirjana Jokovic (Hermione).

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:30 AM
The same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter3.jpg

Sarah Howe (Perdita), Jeremy Geidt (Old Shepherd), and John Douglas Thompson (Polixenes).

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:34 AM
The same ....

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter7.jpg

Jovan Rameau (Florizel) and Sarah Howe (Perdita).

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:35 AM
The Same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter4.jpg

Mirjana Jokovic (Hermione) and Henry Woronicz (Leontes).

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:36 AM
The same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter1.jpg
Denise Williams, Remo Airaldi, Naeemah White-Peppers, Thomas Derrah.

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:38 AM
The same

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter5.jpg

Jovan Rameau, Sarah Howe, Alvin Epstein, Karen MacDonald, Mirjana Jokovic, Henry Woronicz, John Douglas Thompson.

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:40 AM
The Same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter6.jpg

A scene in Bohemia.

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:41 AM
The Same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/media/winter/winter8.jpg

John Douglas Thompson (Polixenes) and Alvin Epstein (Camillo)

sofia82
06-25-2008, 03:42 AM
The Same ...

http://www.amrep.org/images/winter/winter001.jpg

Janine
06-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Sophia, great photos. I enjoyed all the ones you posted; some are quite modern/contemporary, aren't they?

I am sorry not to have been active as yet, I have some good ideas, but I am restrained now with a broken down computer at home and having to rely on these library computers, presently; therefore, I do not have assess to my own photo files, which are at home on disks or my injuried HD. I may be with a computer for a number of weeks and have only limited time here. I will try and see what I have uploaded to my photo program, that I can post in here in the meantime. I am out of time now. So it will have to be my next trip to the library. So sorry for all this delay.

PS: I will answer your PM's soon.

Virgil
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Wow, nice thread ladies. The pictures certainly alter some perceptions of the play.

sofia82
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Sophia, great photos. I enjoyed all the ones you posted; some are quite modern/contemporary, aren't they?

I am sorry not to have been active as yet, I have some good ideas, but I am restrained now with a broken down computer at home and having to rely on these library computers, presently; therefore, I do not have assess to my own photo files, which are at home on disks or my injuried HD. I may be with a computer for a number of weeks and have only limited time here. I will try and see what I have uploaded to my photo program, that I can post in here in the meantime. I am out of time now. So it will have to be my next trip to the library. So sorry for all this delay.

PS: I will answer your PM's soon.

Oh, Janine glad to see you returned! And sorry for your injured computer Hope it will recover soon to see you here. Unfortunately my classes have been started and I don't have enough time to be on the net but I do my best to come and update this thread and also comment in other threads.

yes it is a contemporary one it was performed in 2000.

sofia82
06-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Wow, nice thread ladies. The pictures certainly alter some perceptions of the play.

Thank you Virgil. Hope you post some comment here, too. And seeing this Hermione, I think Leon is right to be jealous she is beautiful ;)

Janine
07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, Janine glad to see you returned! And sorry for your injured computer Hope it will recover soon to see you here. Unfortunately my classes have been started and I don't have enough time to be on the net but I do my best to come and update this thread and also comment in other threads.

yes it is a contemporary one it was performed in 2000.

Well, Sophia, I am not really back; I figure I will technically take this coming month off to concentrate on a new computer. This is problematic but I think I can resolve my indecision about how to proceed if I take it one step at a time. I do need a computer; I can't live without one now!
That is fine and hope I can also sneak in some photos when I have more time. Tonight is bad - I am back at the library and I don't have my file of course; I could look up what I have on Photobucket but I don't have time now - they close at 9 and this is the first thread I have checked in with. I will have to resume again next week - since the library will be closed all weekend due to the holiday, our 4th of July - Independence Day.

Thank you Virgil. Hope you post some comment here, too. And seeing this Hermione, I think Leon is right to be jealous she is beautiful;)
This thread should be fun Virgil. Glad you could stop by. That is true about the play but I just got another rendition in the mail and it looks quite a bit different than this modern version. You guys are so funny, shortening all the names. I listened to disk one last night again and alas, fell sound asleep. I think I get to the part where Hermoines is trying to defend herself and going off to prison with her ladies in waiting and that is when I drop off into dreamland. I want to go over there and check on the progress of that discussion. I am so sorry to be missing it; disappointing for me.

sofia82
07-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, Sophia, I am not really back; I figure I will technically take this coming month off to concentrate on a new computer. This is problematic but I think I can resolve my indecision about how to proceed if I take it one step at a time. I do need a computer; I can't live without one now!
That is fine and hope I can also sneak in some photos when I have more time. Tonight is bad - I am back at the library and I don't have my file of course; I could look up what I have on Photobucket but I don't have time now - they close at 9 and this is the first thread I have checked in with. I will have to resume again next week - since the library will be closed all weekend due to the holiday, our 4th of July - Independence Day.

Happy to hear from you! Althugh my computer is Ok, but it is the same case here I cannot surf the net like before as my classes started and I don't have enough time unfortunately ... being a strudent is better than being a teacher ;)

This thread should be fun Virgil. Glad you could stop by. That is true about the play but I just got another rendition in the mail and it looks quite a bit different than this modern version. You guys are so funny, shortening all the names. I listened to disk one last night again and alas, fell sound asleep. I think I get to the part where Hermoines is trying to defend herself and going off to prison with her ladies in waiting and that is when I drop off into dreamland. I want to go over there and check on the progress of that discussion. I am so sorry to be missing it; disappointing for me.

I hope I can handle this thread and more people stop and comment here! Waiting for your return, Janine

sofia82
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
These photos is from the same production Janine post a photo:

Director - Gregory Doran

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/images//titles/38/Antony%20Sher%20-%20leonides%20copy%20s.jpg

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/images//titles/38/Festival%20s.jpg

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/images//titles/38/Leonides%20&%20Paulina%20copy.jpg

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/images//titles/38/Leonides%20&%20Queen%20copy%20s.jpg

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/images//titles/38/The%20shepherds%20copy%20s.jpg

Janine
07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Sophia, I like the photos very much. That is the production I own and watched once so far; I plan another viewing this weekend. If I can dig up more from the production, when I get a computer at home, I will post them. I can't be on here very long today - still using the library computers and they are so limited. They close in a hour and I have to get around to all my friends (emails, etc).

I assure you when I do return, I will post up a storm on this thread. I have tons of good photos on files of various Shakespeare productions, both stage and screen and also opera and ballet based on the Bard's work. I can't wait to be able to do this.

I will also start a few new threads, that we talked about earlier. Hope you can find some time to stop in or post some photos in my two new threads as well. Be patient and it will all happen.

Sophia, take care and enjoy your weekend! J

sofia82
07-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Sophia, I like the photos very much. That is the production I own and watched once so far; I plan another viewing this weekend. If I can dig up more from the production, when I get a computer at home, I will post them. I can't be on here very long today - still using the library computers and they are so limited. They close in a hour and I have to get around to all my friends (emails, etc).

I assure you when I do return, I will post up a storm on this thread. I have tons of good photos on files of various Shakespeare productions, both stage and screen and also opera and ballet based on the Bard's work. I can't wait to be able to do this.

I will also start a few new threads, that we talked about earlier. Hope you can find some time to stop in or post some photos in my two new threads as well. Be patient and it will all happen.

Sophia, take care and enjoy your weekend! J

Got happy to see you here, thank you for the post, I'm waiting for your new threads and of course I share. Take care and see you soon!

Janine
07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Sophia, only can be on here a short time - at my library computer again. I actually found today I have a whole book on operas and many are based on literature. I could not believe I forgot that I had this book - I picked it up free at this library awhile back thinking it might come in handy one of these days. I think at least it will direct me to some interesting photos online - such as operas based on Shakespeare - there seems to be many of those and other classical authors. I am sure there is many on Greek mythology, don't you?

Be patient and when I get my new computer I will post many photos as I come across them or from the extensive files I have burned to a CD. I found that today so it should be a good place to begin.

Janine
08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I will be posting soon on this site. I have my new computer up and running and it is fabulous! ....and am working on setting it up to customize my settings, etc...fine tuning to my needs. I also have to make the HD backup disks and then I can start some photo files to upload to my online program and this will be one of my first sites to post them on. I can't wait to do so. I have some great ideas on plays/films to present. I wonder what is happening in the Shakespeare thread - I hope I am not too late to comment.
Be back soon ~ J

Virgil
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I will be posting soon on this site. I have my new computer up and running and it is fabulous! ....and am working on setting it up to customize my settings, etc...fine tuning to my needs. I also have to make the HD backup disks and then I can start some photo files to upload to my online program and this will be one of my first sites to post them on. I can't wait to do so. I have some great ideas on plays/films to present. I wonder what is happening in the Shakespeare thread - I hope I am not too late to comment.
Be back soon ~ J

Yay, Janine is back. :)

Janine
08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Yay, Janine is back. :)

:lol: Yay friend, but not full-fledged yet; I am making short appearances. I have some pressing matters and actually I am not feeling really well today...still thought I would check in here and see if there was any progress since I left.
What happened to the last two photos that Sophia posted - I just see X'd boxes and her other photos look as if they are changed or different than what I originally saw on this thread or is it me, going crazy?

Janine
08-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Thought I would try and add some photos tonight to this thread - to revive it; I certainly have not forgotten it.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/hamad.jpg
Kenneth Branagh playing Hamlet at an early age (stage). I love the way in which this photo was shot.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/BranaghKingly.jpg
Young Kenneth Branagh onstage playing Henry V.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/cor-judiken.jpg

Kenneth Branagh and Judy Dench on stage in a production of Shakespeare's Coriolanus

Janine
11-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey, Everyone, I am back and anxious to revive this thread.
I came across these great movie/play posters; thought these would be appropriate. These are some of the older ones:

Thought this design was interesting.

Hamlet - Strobridge Litho Co. - artist unknown
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/HamletStrobridgeLithoCo-1.jpg

Two versions from the same film:
Romeo and Juliet - Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RomeoandJulietShearerHowardMovie-1.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RomeoandJulietShearerHowardMoviePos.jpg

Romeo and Juliet - Moreno
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RomeoandJuliet_Moreno_Poster.jpg

Twelfth Night - Strobridge Litho Co.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/TwelfthNight_StrobridgeLithoCo.jpg

Romeo and Juliet - artist unknown
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RomeoJuliet_UnknownArtist.jpg

Taming of the Shrew - Pickford and Fairbanks
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/TamingoftheShrew_Pickford_Fairbanks.jpg

Romeo and Juliet - Strobridge Litho Co.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RomeoJuliet_StrobrideLithoCo_Poster.jpg

Othello - Wilbur Pierce
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/OthelloWilburPierce.jpg

Richard III - Mr. Frederick Warde
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/RichardIII_MrFrederickWarde.jpg

Julius Caesar - Charlton Heston, and an all-star cast
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/sealace/ShakespearePosters/JuliusCaesarCharltonHestonMoviePost.jpg

I have plenty more to post tomorrow.

Janine
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I rearranged some of my files in Photobucket so I have to replace some that now are blank above.

I found all of these great renditions of Hamlet's 'Get thee to a nunery scene' today on Youtube:

Richard Burton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1tp0B1HmGs

Mel Gibson and Helena Boheme Carter
http://www.youtube.com/user/literasyme

Kevin Kline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbEDLF3YlI

Kenneth Branagh and Kate Winslett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgLqy1Ys8VE&feature=related

Derek Jacobi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUdVVnk3m24

Interesting to compare them.