PDA

View Full Version : It's pretty hard to understand this... Please help me out.

Sorceress
06-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I saw this quote and couldn't comprehend properly.

My attitude to Jane Austen is accurately summed up by that wonderful line from Cold Comfort Farm: "One of the disadvantages of almost universal education was that all kinds of people gained a familiarity with one's favourite books. It gave one a curious feeling; like seeing a drunken stranger wrapped in one's dressing gown."

In what way is it meant? Please someone help...

_Shannon_
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I think it means that when one loves a book, that book becomes an intimate part of a person. So often, I know for me, it feels like a beautiful little secret part of me I carry around...when that book becomes read widely by the masses- it feels almost like an invasion of that private encounter between me and that book.

PrinceMyshkin
06-21-2008, 07:50 PM
I think it means that when one loves a book, that book becomes an intimate part of a person. So often, I know for me, it feels like a beautiful little secret part of me I carry around...when that book becomes read widely by the masses- it feels almost like an invasion of that private encounter between me and that book.

With me it's a kind of reverse snobbery. In the first place, any time a new book becomes an enormous success, I want to stay away from it. There is the saying that "Fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong," which becomes the reverse for me: Fifty million Frenchmen must be wrong,

And if a book I've discovered becomes very popular, I begin to worry that my tastes have degenerated!

_Shannon_
06-21-2008, 08:03 PM
With me it's a kind of reverse snobbery. In the first place, any time a new book becomes an enormous success, I want to stay away from it. There is the saying that "Fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong," which becomes the reverse for me: Fifty million Frenchmen must be wrong,

And if a book I've discovered becomes very popular, I begin to worry that my tastes have degenerated!

LOL-- that's not reverse snobbery-- that is snobbery :)

Jozanny
06-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I saw this quote and couldn't comprehend properly.

My attitude to Jane Austen is accurately summed up by that wonderful line from Cold Comfort Farm: "One of the disadvantages of almost universal education was that all kinds of people gained a familiarity with one's favourite books. It gave one a curious feeling; like seeing a drunken stranger wrapped in one's dressing gown."

In what way is it meant? Please someone help...

Cold Comfort Farm reads a tad elitist:alien:

Sorceress
06-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Thats so true, Shannon!! I've felt the same way you do...

@PrinceMyshkin

We always want our tastes to be uncommon, unparalleled...

Sorceress
06-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for sharing the ideas :)

PrinceMyshkin
06-22-2008, 11:12 AM
@PrinceMyshkin

We always want our tastes to be uncommon, unparalleled...

I wonder about that, Mlle Sorceress, what about all those who are out there proselytizing every "unenlightened" sucker they can get their hands on?

Sorceress
06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, when you get your hands on it and once you're done with it.. you feel 'Oh..only this lot' ...

bounty
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM

i think shannon did a great job interpreting the quote...

_Shannon_
06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks, bounty :) Here and there I have moments of clarity admist the chaos in motion which is me :)