PDA

View Full Version : Soliloquies! Essay! Help!

John-a-dreams
06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
I have this essay question:
"the soliloquies in hamlet are in the fullest sense, dramatic, part of the action. discus this judgement with reference to one or two soliloquies."

"about my brains"!!! :crash: I mean, i know they are dramatic and part of the action, but i'm having trouble expressing WHY. Do i just say what happens in them, and how this is crucial to the rest of the play? Do i comment on the dramatic language used, which evokes a highly emotive audience response? Alas, i am lost! The more i think about it, the more i confuse myself, and make action impossible, (haha...hamlet relates to everything). anyhoo, please help! My procrastination cannot go on for too much longer (or else any action after that won't matter...as the due date will have flown by!)

by the way, did the exclamation marks in my title have any effect in arousing your interest? it would be an interesting study..........ah, never mind.

Gladys
06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
To paraphrase your essay question:

Are the soliloquies standalone speeches or do they, in every way, integrate with what precedes and follows them? Explain how the soliloquies relate to the lines that immediately precede them and how they lead into the lines that immediately follow them, referencing plot, characterisation and mood.

Moreover, indicate how the soliloquies relate to the big picture: the themes of the play.