PDA

View Full Version : Next Read

OceanSoul
12-14-2004, 10:41 PM
I am suppose to read a work of Shakespeare, and I was just wondering what yall would recommend. I would like a good tragedy but I don't know which one...
Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth and Much Ado About Nothing are the ones I have already read.

Scheherazade
12-15-2004, 12:39 AM
It has to be tragedy? I like merchant of Venice a lot...

Jay
12-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I quite like Hamlet and Macbeth.

mono
12-15-2004, 02:44 PM
If you must read a tragedy, I thoroughly enjoyed "Titus Andronicus," and would recommend the play to anyone.
Good luck!

baddad
12-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Ohh yeah!! Hamlet has it all, and it's one of my favorites because everybody dies in the end.........very uplifting........but I'm not too sure you could call it a tragedy, probably more like Mother Nature weeding out the idiots, or removing the scum from the gene pool......

OceanSoul
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Ahaha..yes Hamlet was awesome!
And now that I've looked up Titus Andronicus...I think I'ma go with that because it looks really good. Thanks guys!

Jay
12-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Thinking of reading The Tempest as the next thing that's not for school... sometime after exams. Heard it's good so maybe you could enjoy it as well, OceanSoul :)

Isagel
12-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I actually have a hard time just reading Shakespeare. Actors always do the parts better
than my imagination. But still , for reading I would side with M ono and recommend Titus Andronicus - and if you can get hold of it see the movie Titus, with Anthony Hopkins. The film has a nightmarish surreal setting. Some people do not like it, but I think it adds to the experience.

Brr. This is a tragedy.

Richard the III is also great, but if I remember correctly the politics are a bit complicated. I would recommend the movie , with Ian McKellen as Richard the III, before reading. This movie takes place in England, as it could have been if Germany had conqured it during the second world war.

papayahed
12-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm reading Henry IV part 1 right now and it's really good. Ok so I'm only in Act 1 scene 3 but so far.......

Has anyone seen Scotland PA? It's Macbeth set in the 1970's suburbia and the kingdom is actually a greasy spoon?

mono
12-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Richard the III is also great, but if I remember correctly the politics are a bit complicated. I would recommend the movie , with Ian McKellen as Richard the III, before reading. This movie takes place in England, as it could have been if Germany had conqured it during the second world war.

Ooh, Richard III had to prove as my favorite historical play by Shakespeare, though I have yet to read them all (*sigh, someday). Unfortunately, I have neglected watching any movies based on Shakespeare plays except Romeo and Juliet (of course), The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Macbeth.

amuse
12-16-2004, 04:35 PM
oh my goodness! now that classes are over i can indulge in some shakespeare videos. :) thanks for the reminder, mono.

Isagel
12-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Ooh, Richard III had to prove as my favorite historical play by Shakespeare, though I have yet to read them all (*sigh, someday). Unfortunately, I have neglected watching any movies based on Shakespeare plays except Romeo and Juliet (of course), The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Macbeth.

Oh - please try and rent the two movies I mentioned! I´m really curious to what you would think about them!

OceanSoul
12-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Wow...I haven't watched any Shakespeare ever..only seen the play Much Ado About Nothing. But now that you mention it, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend the cold winter!!! Thanks!!!

crisaor
12-16-2004, 10:18 PM
I'd go with Isagel's advise, Richard III, or you can also try King Lear.

baddad
12-17-2004, 08:38 PM
.....uhh...........ok...........Que pasa'? ....................quite an array of pussy cats...

Scheherazade
12-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Cats are the new black maybe? :D

Jay
12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Nah, they're just quite cute... when they're not scratching at your new expensive furniture :D

Shea
01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
It has to be tragedy? I like merchant of Venice a lot...

Just skimming through here, but wondering is Merchant of Venice really a tragedy? I thought it more of a comedy, I mean, nobody really dies right? But then again, it's a comedy that deals with some very serious issues too. Hmmm... *edit: I think I may have misunderstood the statement after all, oh well.*

By the way, Titus is a good choice, I kept cringing at all the deformity. It definately has more blood than Hamlet!