PDA

View Full Version : Need Passage Ideas from Austen (Emma?)

emilyrose
06-07-2008, 07:08 AM
For a communication class I'm taking, I'm doing a project about improving a communication skill, and one of the parts to it is to pick a passage from a book that involves the skill (or lack thereof). My skill involves perception: listening carefully without going beyond the intended meaning of remarks.

One possibility in Austen I am thinking may work here is Emma because I remember that Emma completely misreads communication from a certain gentleman, thinking he has affection for Harriet, when really he has affection for Emma. This leads to all sorts of problems because Harriet is really in love with someone else, but because Emma has convinced Harriet about the intentions of this gentleman, Harriet refuses the proposal of the other guy that she loves and who is more appropriate for her given his social class.

Does anyone remember where this passage is in Emma representing her faulty perception (I forget the gentleman's name)? Or can you think of other passages in that book or other Austen works that would be good for such a perception example?

Emily