PDA

View Full Version : Angel of the Odd

Dark Muse
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Understandably Poe is not known for his humor, though he did in fact write several comedies/satires. The Angel of the Odd, is one of his humorous tales. It is quite the bazaar little story that I find to be most enjoyable. It gives a new perspective on the occurrence of freak accidents, or runs of bad luck a person might have. It is also something of a parody of the Guardian Angel.

Anza
06-05-2008, 05:33 PM
*runs off to read it*

Dark Muse
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Hope you enjoy it

LC_Lancer
10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I loved this story.
I remember reading it sometime in my past (obviously since I cannot read it in my future), but I cannot remember when. I do remember having problems with the angel’s dialogue and thinking, “I wish he would have written it in German [the angel’s words]. Then it would be easier to read.” Back then I could read German, but if “you don’t use it you loose it”.

My first thought is: this is another story where you cannot trust the narrator. First, he was drinking and arrogant (a devastating combination). Second, some of the time elements in the story are off. Since he ended in the same room where he began, one could argue that he never left the room physically.

Do you want to dissect it here or wait for the Poe Short Story Discussion Thread?

Dark Muse
10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Sense eventurally I would like to discuss it in the short story thread perhaps we should hold off on detailed disesction of it here, so we have something to talk about when I do the story there LOL