PDA

View Full Version : The Open Boat

Dark Muse
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
We were reading Stehpen Crane as part of one of my classes, and I just finnised The Open Boat, and it seems the majority of the other students in the class all think that this story was the most boring, and as they put it "Nothing happens"

But there was just something about the story that I personally really liked, and I really did not find it to be boring. In fact I think it might be one of my faveorite of Crane's stories.

Dark Muse
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Yes his writing his intersting, he has a very unique style, I rather enjoy his stories though.

Dark Muse
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Hehe..

Virgil
06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I too think it's a great short story. Here's the great opening paragraph:

None of them knew the color of the sky. Their eyes glanced level, and
were fastened upon the waves that swept toward them. These waves were of
the hue of slate, save for the tops, which were of foaming white, and
all of the men knew the colors of the sea. The horizon narrowed and
widened, and dipped and rose, and at all times its edge was jagged with
waves that seemed thrust up in points like rocks. Many a man ought to
have a bath-tub larger than the boat which here rode upon the sea. These
waves were most wrongfully and barbarously abrupt and tall, and each
froth-top was a problem in small-boat navigation.

"No one knew the color of the sky." Fabulous!

Virgil
06-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Just what I need, Virgil. LOL Another person shoving me toward buying that Library of America book! ;) Really, I looked at it just the other day and put it in my Amazon shopping cart, then put it on my Wish List, instead for later. But now, I want it. :) Crane's prose is so beautiful.

I've already got seven books in my cart. LOL You and DM are going to get me divorced! LOL Just joking. He might say "Eight books?" but he'd never really get upset. He knows I read all the time. Heck, he spends more on his gym and personal trainer. LOL We're tolerant of each other's vices, if they can be called that.

I remember loving "The Open Boat." Library of America or not, I'm going to have to find the story online and read it. I remember loving it.

I like this:

The horizon narrowed and widened, and dipped and rose, and at all times its edge was jagged with waves that seemed thrust up in points like rocks.

I remember I loved the different viewpoints in the story.

I think Crane is an underrated short story writer.

Hehehe, yes though he's got a pretty good reputation. You must read "The Blue Hotel." That is one of my all time favorite short stories. :)

bluosean
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I like this story a lot. It dosen't bore me at all. It is exciting.

bencroe
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I read this short story when doing my final for my last English course and really enjoyed it. It was the first time I ever read any of this author's works.

Once you start thinking about it you get more and more out of what the author is trying to say.

I am doing my current project on The Red Badge Of Courage. Hope to like that also.
Liz:devil::devil: