PDA

View Full Version : Brave New World vs 1984

cipherdecoy
06-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Which do you think is better and why?

EricP
06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Although I think that "1984" is the more effective work of literature, I think that in many ways Huxley's vision is more relevant to our current postmodern capitalist society. As the contemporary philosopher Slavoj Zizek has pointed out, our society doesn't operate as a top-down totalitarian regime, but rather as a permissive culture that operates under a pervasive injuction to "Enjoy!"

johann cruyff
06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Although I think that "1984" is the more effective work of literature, I think that in many ways Huxley's vision is more relevant to our current postmodern capitalist society. As the contemporary philosopher Slavoj Zizek has pointed out, our society doesn't operate as a top-down totalitarian regime, but rather as a permissive culture that operates under a pervasive injuction to "Enjoy!"

I pretty much agree - it's also refreshing to see someone who's not just criticizing Žižek,because that seems to be the fashion these days - in my opinion,he's one of the most outstanding philosophers today.

barbara0207
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM

A similar point has been made by Neil Postman in "Amusing Ourselves to Death". I think that was back in the eighties. He says that society cannot afford a culture that is based on consumerism and amusement. He goes on to say that in 1984 and other dystopias the terror is obvious but that the world Huxley describes is all the more dangerous because on the surface it's a 'happy' world.

I remember reading BNW for the first time as a young girl and somehow I didn't see what was supposed to be so bad about that world. Only when I was more mature did I see the intellectual, cultural and spiritual impoverishment of that society. Postman helped me understand further.

EricP
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I pretty much agree - it's also refreshing to see someone who's not just criticizing Žižek,because that seems to be the fashion these days - in my opinion,he's one of the most outstanding philosophers today.

I agree wholeheartedly about Žižek. His works are both insightful and entertaining. I recently picked up a copy of The Parallax View and I look forward to diving into it soon. I've heard that it's much more theoretical and is noticeably lighter on jokes and pop culture references than some of his other recent work. I plan on teaching one of his essays on Lenin to my Intro to Philosophy classes.

johann cruyff
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I agree wholeheartedly about Žižek. His works are both insightful and entertaining. I recently picked up a copy of The Parallax View and I look forward to diving into it soon. I've heard that it's much more theoretical and is noticeably lighter on jokes and pop culture references than some of his other recent work. I plan on teaching one of his essays on Lenin to my Intro to Philosophy classes.

I was looking for a copy of The Parallax View as well,but can't find it anywhere just yet. I believe that's one of his most recent works,published in 2007? Actually,was it written in Slovenian or English,I don't even know that?

EricP
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I was looking for a copy of The Parallax View as well,but can't find it anywhere just yet. I believe that's one of his most recent works,published in 2007? Actually,was it written in Slovenian or English,I don't even know that?

It's available on amazon.com and it came out in 2006. It was written in English, as I think most of his recent books have been. I'd like to pick up his newest book also: In Defense of Lost Causes.

Oli
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I believe the storyline and plot of '1984' is better, and has more powerful pieces of language. However, BNW is a lot more versatile and in some ways worse. Winston has miserable life and suffers greatly, but that affair with Julia made him more 'human' than any character in BNW (bar the Savage who is not from civilisation) as they cannot love or think independently because of their conditioning. IN 1984 they are working towards this through Newspeak but are not quite there yet

tomingram
03-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Well, Huxley was better than Orwell at diagnosing our problems. I'm glad someone already brought up Postman.

Kingbob
03-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Brave New World and 1984 are both representitive of dystopia,and I think George Orwell with his 1984 is more profound and infectious.

Heidy
08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
A similar point has been made by Neil Postman in "Amusing Ourselves to Death". I think that was back in the eighties. He says that society cannot afford a culture that is based on consumerism and amusement. He goes on to say that in 1984 and other dystopias the terror is obvious but that the world Huxley describes is all the more dangerous because on the surface it's a 'happy' world.

I remember reading BNW for the first time as a young girl and somehow I didn't see what was supposed to be so bad about that world. Only when I was more mature did I see the intellectual, cultural and spiritual impoverishment of that society. Postman helped me understand further.

Really nice world guys :)
I think both are amazing novels but...i must admit...i prefer Orwell because it's more dramatic. In brave new world however people accepat that way of life, and are happy..also Huxley makes fun about that. Instead when u read 1984 how u can't love Winston Smith, another antihero that fights against life, he doesn't fight with weapons but with mind in order to remember his past, he writes a diary in order not to forget his past, words....AMAZING *.* i love that.

greetings by Italy :hat: