PDA

View Full Version : I really like this book!

kelby_lake
05-31-2008, 03:12 PM
And there are no posts!

PabloQ
12-11-2008, 01:51 AM
As I was reading this book, I kept getting whiffs of other novels that came before. The arrogance that Anthony Patch exhibited in not seeking gainful employment as he waited to inherit is fortune was strongly reminiscent of George Amberson's arrogance in The Magnificent Ambersons. George is far more ridiculous, but manages to alienate his family and his friends. Anthony does much of the same but becomes a drunken lout.

As I watched him detiorate, Anthony reminded me of xxx in Sister Carrie. Anthony uses alcohol almost as an accelerant, but watching both of these characters just sit around, reading the newspaper and totally unmotivated toward employment rang familiar. The despair that Gloria felt that drove toward her screen test is similar to Carrie's motivation to audition for the stage. Carrie succeeds, however.

The waiting for the contest of the grandfather's will felt a little like Bleak House. The way it drags out over the years just seemed familiar.

The way that Gloria uses her beauty to attract men and gain acceptance in society reminded me a bit of The House of Mirth.

The ending of the novel, though, was abrupt and unsatisfying. Not to spoil it for anyone who might read it, but the expectation is set that these two prople, Anthony and Gloria, are going to hit rock bottom. Anthony, through is alcoholism, I expected to die or end up in some sanitarium similar to Zelda Fitzgerald. Gloria and her faded beauty seemed bound for some tragedy like an accident caused by her uncaring negligence or a suicide. I truly felt that at a minimum, the marriage would not make it to the end of the book. Well, I had it all wrong, but what I got was three scenes just seemed weak in comparison to the rest of the book to the point of almost ruining the whole thing.

This one was less lyrical and less artistically done than This Side of Paradise. But all thing considered, I liked it...

bluosean
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I really liked it too but its been a long time since i have read it. I have to pick up some fitzgerald again. One of the best authors ever.

Buh4Bee
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree, he knows how to tell a story, even if the plot moves slowly. His character development allows you to see into the characters mind as well as develop empathy or even the most heinous like Anthony Patch. This is great writing 101!