PDA

View Full Version : Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

Scheherazade
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
When I borrowed Cold Comfort Farm from the library, I was expecting it to be something along the lines of Anne of Green Gables; however, it is not.

Despite leading a lavish life style till she was 20, Flora Poste is left to fend for herself following her parents' death. Her expensive education does not help her since she is not trained for anything in particular so she decides to live with some of her relatives and moves into Cold Comfort Farm. The Starkadders family who owns the farm presents Flora many challenges that she is determined to overcome.

Flora reminds me Emma's Emma in many ways: She interferes, bullies, and bribes to get her way but, unfortunately, she lacks Emma's charm, in my opinion.

Gibbons makes no attempts to hide the fact that she is writing to criticise and even ridicule some of her contemporaries (the book was written at the beginning of 1930s). Her sarcasm is very sharp and somewhat "obvious" at times.

Over all, it is an interesting book (even though may not be the best read of your lives), which is worth the effort.

7/10 KitKats!

Nightshade
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
7/10 KitKats!

good rating :nod: I seeem to recall reading there was sequels but I never got round to reading them.

kelby_lake
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
i've only watched the play of it, which i really liked

livMB
05-30-2008, 02:00 AM
It has been about two years since I read this one, but when I read it, I automatically thought of Emma as well. Flora was a busybody and a know-it-all, but I found all the minor characters so charming that it was a worthwhile read.

I have also read that the play is critically acclaimed and enjoyed the book well enough that if I had the chance I would see it.

slobone
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
There was a pretty good TV adaptation a while ago, and then a movie by John Schlesinger, with the immortal Eileen Atkins as the grandma. Definitely a period piece, but very funny.