PDA

View Full Version : Shakespearean Summer '08

Scheherazade
05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Following our members' requests, we will be reading Shakespeare's plays in the order they have been selected.

All plays are available online on our site:

http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/

Please vote for the play you would like to read by June 15th.

sofia82
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I've just finished re-reading Romeo and Juliet. My Next choice is Macbeth. And a question, which is better, reading according to the order the plays written or according to the genres, comedy, tragedy, tragi-comedy ...

Virgil
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Fabulous!!! I'm so happy we started this again. Actually I don't even care which play gets selected. In fact I'll hold off my vote for now until the votes coalesce around a couple of plays. Of course, people, we've done Hamlet to death, so perhaps we can pick another?

Edit: Scher, we've already did Titus Andronicus and The Taming of the Shrew for the Shakespeare Discussion Group. Shouldn't they be ruled out?

JBI
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I voted for Henry IV, a little selfish, but I'm studying it in depth next year in school so figured, can't hurt. I'll read anything of his though pretty much (though I prefer the big 5 tragedies).

NickAdams
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
It was between Lear and Macbeth, but I had to go with Big Bad Mac.

Nossa
05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Macbeth. I read it before, but that was like a long time ago, and it wasn't even the 'real' text, it was a bit simplified. I was deciding between Macbeth, King Lear and Hamlet (I'm studying the tragedies next year :D) but I've always liked Macbeth more (well, as far as I remember at least..lol), I'd love to read it with you guys.

Charles Darnay
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
My vote goes to Winter's Tale.....I feel it gets a bad rap and I would like to know people's opinions on it.

JBI
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
My vote goes to Winter's Tale.....I feel it gets a bad rap and I would like to know people's opinions on it.

In terms of language, and mechanics, it is simply the most developed of Shakespeare's work. In terms of content, I'm a minority opinion on these boards, it seems, in greatly esteeming the play.

Weisinheimer
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Yay, can't wait to read Shakespeare w/ you guys. I pretty much don't care which one we read, except I kinda hope it's not Macbeth or Much Ado About Nothing, because I've already read those. I've been wanting to read more Shakespeare, so I'm excited. :D

Amundsen
05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I voted Merchant of Venice. I am looking forward to read all of his plays.
My grandfather have all of them except one: As You Like It

Scheherazade
05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Edit: Scher, we've already did Titus Andronicus and The Taming of the Shrew for the Shakespeare Discussion Group. Shouldn't they be ruled out?That was a year ago and since this is a new start, thought we should include those as well.

Feel free not to vote for those! ;)

My vote goes to Winter's Tale.....I feel it gets a bad rap and I would like to know people's opinions on it.Haven't read this one so will join you, Darnay. :)

papayahed
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Solid! I'm very excited to start this again. I'm with virgie I don't care what we read.

(although I do have Henry V at home and I do want to read Merchant of Venice before I see the movie....)

Dori
05-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Voted Winter's Tale because it's readily available to me (and it already had two votes).

Virgil
05-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Dori, you're back Nice to see you. :)

LadyWentworth
05-28-2008, 03:10 AM
OK. I am a little confused. :p

1. So will we be reading all of the plays that have a vote? Will they be read in the order of the number of votes that they received?

2. Once we have covered those plays, will there perhaps be another poll to decide on the plays that we have left to discuss?

I am asking this because there are a couple that I would like to read again that I am thinking may not receive any votes this time around (i.e. Much Ado About Nothing). I am OK with not reading them right now, but I would like to eventually. So, I was just wondering exactly how this was going to work. :)

By the way, Hamlet is never overdone! :D Not in my world at least! :D Romeo and Juliet on the other hand.....:rolleyes: :)

downing
05-28-2008, 03:17 AM
as you like it...I really wanted to read this!

Scheherazade
05-28-2008, 06:33 AM
1. So will we be reading all of the plays that have a vote? Will they be read in the order of the number of votes that they received?No, every three months we will have a new poll to determine which play to read and the play that gets the most votes will be read during the next three months.

2. Once we have covered those plays, will there perhaps be another poll to decide on the plays that we have left to discuss?See above. :)

Nightshade
05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Yay!:banana: I see you are kindly providing me with lots of reading to do this summer thanks scher, this is to quote a friend of mine "very solid of you".

I want to read one of the histories ideally but Ill go with anything ! :D:nod:

Charles Darnay
05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I voted Merchant of Venice. I am looking forward to read all of his plays.
My grandfather have all of them except one: As You Like It

you should find a copy to complete the collection :)

As You Like It is, in opinion, his best comedy....unless you count Winter's Tale as a comedy....but I don't

LadyWentworth
05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
No, every three months we will have a new poll to determine which play to read and the play that gets the most votes will be read during the next three months.

Yes, that is right! I forgot! I am going out of town in a couple of weeks. My mind hasn't been thinking clearly lately. So I am expecting (hoping) my brain to function properly again after that break. :) I want to remember things again so I don't keep asking questions based on my forgetfulness. :p

Thanks, by the way. :D

Virgil
05-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Well. I'm getting convinced on Winter's Tale. It's one of the plays I've never read. But I'll still hold out a little longer.

Scheherazade
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I have got all my Norton Shakespear Anthologies series finally so can't wait! :D

Niamh
05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I've the Oxford complete so...been a while since i read shakespeare. So Maybe Richard III?

Scheherazade
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gOhZUB0YL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

papayahed
05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
But it's not Winter.

JBI
05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
the play isn't set in Winter.

HerGuardian
05-29-2008, 02:29 AM
i'm confused between Macbeth and Othello but my vote goes for Macbeth. Going with first that came on my mind.

papayahed
05-29-2008, 06:08 AM
the play isn't set in Winter.

It has winter in the title.

Niamh
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Its a pastoral Play mainly based in Sicily snd Bohemia. I think the title has to do with associating the context of the play to winter. When we think of winter, we think of times of darkness, cold, seasonal depression etc. Well the play itself is a time of darkness for the king of sicily who accuses his wife of an affair and carrying an illigitamate child, the child (Perdita) is taken away, Leontes and Harmiones only son dies, and them Harmione dies, and suddenly Leontes has lost everything he cared for and indures a "winter" in his life.

Virgil
05-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I voted. Go Winter's Tale!!

Petrarch's Love
05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow, I'm amazed that everyone's going for Winter's Tale. Where were you all last week when I was trying to teach it? :lol: My students were decidedly less enthusiastic about Winter's Tale than most of the other plays we've covered this quarter (though this is understandable in the context of a class that started with Hamlet). Maybe they just have the near end of term blahs. I'm going to hold off voting for now, since I'm equally happy with Macbeth or W.T. and feel the decision should probably be made by those who feel strongly about reading and/or thinking critically about a particular play for the first time. Whatever gets picked, I'll do my best to carve out a little time to participate in the discussions this summer.

kasie
05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Its a pastoral Play mainly based in Sicily snd Bohemia. I think the title has to do with associating the context of the play to winter. When we think of winter, we think of times of darkness, cold, seasonal depression etc. Well the play itself is a time of darkness for the king of sicily who accuses his wife of an affair and carrying an illigitamate child, the child (Perdita) is taken away, Leontes and Harmiones only son dies, and them Harmione dies, and suddenly Leontes has lost everything he cared for and indures a "winter" in his life.

'A sad tale's best for winter....' Act II, Scene 1.

Charles Darnay
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, I'm amazed that everyone's going for Winter's Tale. Where were you all last week when I was trying to teach it? :lol: My students were decidedly less enthusiastic about Winter's Tale than most of the other plays we've covered this quarter (though this is understandable in the context of a class that started with Hamlet). Maybe they just have the near end of term blahs. I'm going to hold off voting for now, since I'm equally happy with Macbeth or W.T. and feel the decision should probably be made by those who feel strongly about reading and/or thinking critically about a particular play for the first time. Whatever gets picked, I'll do my best to carve out a little time to participate in the discussions this summer.

What grade did you teach it to?

I've always wanted to teach WT to a grade 12 class in a larger context of the tragicomedy.

Niamh
05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
'A sad tale's best for winter....' Act II, Scene 1.

thanks for that!

papayahed
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM

So there's no snow?

Page Sniffer
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
For the sake of honoring a popular vote that actually means something, I'll go with either one that wins since Winter's Tale and Macbeth are neck and neck.

Charles Darnay
05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
In a metaphorical sense, there is snow.

Time and seasons play a fascinating role in the play

LadyWentworth
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, it is obviously not going to be the one that I wanted. :( As of this post, both Winter's Tale and Macbeth are tied. So I can read WT again, but I have to be honest that I am really pulling for Macbeth. I always really liked it, but I've only read it twice. It has been a LONG time since I have read it. I read in it high school and once a couple of years later. So it has been quite awhile. :)

Virgil
05-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Nice to see you back Petrarch. I hope you can participate in this. You add so much. :)

Niamh
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I vote Richard III but i'd rather Macbeth out of those two!
"When shall we three meet again? In thunder,
Lightning or in rain?"
Love that line! I always quote it if in am one of a company of three.:D

Scheherazade
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
So there's no snow?:lol:

sofia82
05-30-2008, 06:29 AM
But it's not Winter.

So, if you want to decide considering the season, what will you choose?:D

Having a winter in the summer will be interesting ;)

I vote later, not now. let's see which gets the vote

Nightshade
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I vote Richard III

Does this mean I owe you a vote now Niamh?
:p

WInters tale, thats Perdita and the bear isnt it....

Charles Darnay
05-30-2008, 01:43 PM

that is a great summery of the play :D

Nightshade
05-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes well if it is and youve read it you know what Im talking about it and if you havent it doesnt give away any of the plot.... :D

Niamh
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM

exit followed by a bear! :D yes it is.
And you owe me a vote. :nod: :p only voted richard so you wouldnt feel alone! :lol:

DapperDrake
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
So we're reading Winter's Tale? Is there a start date or an end date for the reading?

Scheherazade
05-30-2008, 07:10 PM
The poll does not close till June 15th so we do not know for certain yet. And we will have till mid August to read the play.

DapperDrake
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Ah, great, got it. Voted for Macbeth. I love that play :D

Scheherazade
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Ah, great, got it. Voted for Macbeth. I love that play :DThanks for the tie, Drake! :p

Charles Darnay
05-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Ah, a tie! Curse you Sir Smile!

JBI
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Can I have my vote back ? I wasted it.

Petrarch's Love
05-30-2008, 09:36 PM
What grade did you teach it to?

I've always wanted to teach WT to a grade 12 class in a larger context of the tragicomedy.

I teach college and I really shouldn't complain about my excellent group of students. They completely made up for their lackluster reception of W.T. with a fantastic final discussion on the Tempest today.

Nice to see you back Petrarch. I hope you can participate in this. You add so much. :)

Thanks Virg. :) I'll really try to make the time. The summer months should, at least hypothetically be less busy than the last quarter has been.

barbara0207
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
No more tie now - I voted for my favourite, Macbeth. :D

Charles Darnay
05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
come come, how can we pass over the great Autolycus who even the clown will "swear to
the prince thou art a tall fellow of thy hands and
that thou wilt not be drunk; but I know thou art no
tall fellow of thy hands and that thou wilt be
drunk: but I'll swear it, and I would thou wouldst
be a tall fellow of thy hands." - great line...

sofia82
06-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Oh, Up to now it is Macbeth, I doubt if vote for Maccbeth or Winter's Tale?!! :D

Snic19
06-01-2008, 03:31 AM
I am glad to see this is started back up. I have been in school again for the past year and haven't had much time for reading. I purchased the complete works a couple weeks ago and was uncertain where to start. I have read Romeo and Juliet and about half of A Midsummer Night's Dream so far so it will be fun to join you all. Not really sure what to vote for though.

Virgil
06-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh how many times have people read Macbeth. Let's try something different. Winter's Tale!!

DapperDrake
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm with you in principle Virgil but I haven't read Macbeth since school and its such a great play, I was going to read it again this year anyway - I re-read Romeo and Juliet back in Feb. I was surprised to find Juliet was only 13, I think modern media would make a different tale - Deranged paedophile Romeo causes death of young girl in suicide pact- or a headline not to dissimilar. :D

Virgil
06-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah but Romeo was prtetty young himself. I don't ecall the age but I would guess no more than 16.

JBI
06-02-2008, 03:25 AM
16 and 13 were common marriage times back then in Italy, and in England. As for being young, Juliet seems far more precocious than Romeo;

Romeo: O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?
Juliet: What satisfaction canst thou have tonight?
Romeo: The exchange of thy love's faithful vow for mine.
Juliet: I gave thee mine before thou didst request it:
And yet I would it were to give again.
Romeo: Wouldst thou withdraw it? for what purpose, love?
Juliet: But to be frank, and give it thee again.
And yet I wish but for the thing I have;
My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.

As you can tell from the quote, Juliet shows a mature, almost unheard of sense of emotion that is not conceivable from most people, let alone a 13 year old girl. It is as if by giving such a powerful brain, so acute in observation, and refined to a sincere, and 'bountiless' and abundance, that Shakespeare really strikes home in showing us the disgusting nature of the world, in contrast to the innocence, and warmth that is represented with the feminine, the sense of womanhood, in contrast to the seen view as women as lesser in his society.

The fighting, and conflict is generally displayed as a masculine quality, as in Capulet and Montague being patriarchs of families, Tybalt and Romeo being opposing ends, and the prince being the bringer of punishment, in this case banishment. Romeo is portrayed as feminine except when he fights with Tybalt, in which he assumes a masculine role, and thereby brings forth the whole tragedy.

Juliet clearly is the more dominant, more beautiful, and perfect character, in the sense that Shakespeare goes beyond anything he had written before in delivering one of his supreme creations, as he does with Hamlet, Iago, Falstaff and Macbeth. It is really at this point in his tragedy writing career that he discovered the boundlessness of the tragic heroine, and of the young female's capacity for love.

I think that is why it still captures audiences in so many ways to this day. It is almost too perfect a creation, in terms of development. The only flaw with it is that Shakespeare was not at his highest point when writing the play, and the language lacks the depth and innovativeness of Macbeth, Hamlet, The Winter's Tale, and other late romances.

Of course, for about 20 of Shakespeare's plays you can write as much, them all being of superior quality to almost anything else that has been written. The reason however, that I believe the "popular", that is, the more studied, more staged plays of Shakespeare should not be voted for, is that they are more read, and more viewed by the discussion, and therefore a lesser known, but equally as fair play will go neglected.

As Virgil put it:

Oh how many times have people read Macbeth. Let's try something different. Winter's Tale!!

CognitiveArtist
06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi, how do you get to vote? When I'm logged on it says you may not vote on this poll.

At the end of semester I'd be glad to find the time to read some Shakespeare, specifically something new like Winter's Tale...

I also think the Forum Book Club is a perfect idea, kudos to the people who perpetuate it.

sofia82
06-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi, how do you get to vote? When I'm logged on it says you may not vote on this poll.

At the end of semester I'd be glad to find the time to read some Shakespeare, specifically something new like Winter's Tale...

I also think the Forum Book Club is a perfect idea, kudos to the people who perpetuate it.

I had the same problem once, your posts should get at least 50, then you can vote!

CognitiveArtist
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I had the same problem once, your posts should get at least 50, then you can vote!

Ah I see, thanks. This acknowledgement can make for another post :) I almost certainly won't reach 50 posts before the deadline unfortunately, as I like to make every post substantial.

Virgil
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Ah I see, thanks. This acknowledgement can make for another post :) I almost certainly won't reach 50 posts before the deadline unfortunately, as I like to make every post substantial.

Since you may vote for Winter's Tale :D how about you go to the games section and play a little and quickly get your post count to 50 (it won't be hard to do) and then after you vote you can make every post substantial. :cool:

bej6s
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the tip about the games forum and I voted for Winter's Tale; I am pretty excited.

sofia82
06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Winter's Tale, I chose!!!

Janine
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
How funny, it is summer and everyone seems to be voting for 'Winter's Tale"! I guess everyone wants to cool off. I haven't voted yet but I think I have 'Winter's Tale" on audio CD's. If so, I will vote for that one, too.

Yeah, I just went to check my stock and do have it. I only listened to this one once so far, and it is quite good; the Arkangel production with Ciaran Hinds. I think I recall it somewhat and relistening will be great. I love these Shakespeare books on CD or tape!

CognitiveArtist
06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
For those of us in the southern hemisphere Winter's Tale is fitting :)

I wish I could obtain some Winter's tale audio cds for a listen, unluckily my library doesn't have Winter's tale audio cds. I personally will have to read through the text once to fathom it properly. Which will help make for a fun semester break, reading Shakespeare is an incomparable experience.

Hopefully my local secondhand bookstore has a copy. It has a fair bit of Shakespeare (as every secondhand bookstore does), but I know they don't have Titus Andronicus as I've been searching for a copy of Shakespeare's worst play lol.

Voted for Winter's Tale.

Janine
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
For those of us in the southern hemisphere Winter's Tale is fitting :)

I wish I could obtain some Winter's tale audio cds for a listen, unluckily my library doesn't have Winter's tale audio cds. I personally will have to read through the text once to fathom it properly. Which will help make for a fun semester break, reading Shakespeare is an incomparable experience.

Hopefully my local secondhand bookstore has a copy. It has a fair bit of Shakespeare (as every secondhand bookstore does), but I know they don't have Titus Andronicus as I've been searching for a copy of Shakespeare's worst play lol.

Voted for Winter's Tale.

Hi CognitiveArtist, good to hear the play would be within your season; that is right - you'd be just opposite the US and all others in the Northern Hemisphere.
Can you order from Amazon online? I bought my audio CD set from there and it was reasonable. I think I used an independent seller and made sure they had good feedback, also it was sealed and new. I love the set I have. I like all of the Arkangel series. Nowdays, also online they have downloads, so you don't have to physically get a hold of the CD's, just pay a fee and download the play. I will check into it for you.
The play "Titus Andronicus" was discussed a while back on this site. I don't know how long it lasted because I know a lot of people found it totally violent. I would be one of those and I dropped out. I agree - it is his worst work, but many would probably disagree with my assessment - to each his own, right?

I am really surprised to see so many votes now for "King Richard II". I read all of the History plays and much prefer "Henry V" and "Richard III." I have "Richard III" on audio CD and listened to it now many times over. I love that play - it is so dynamic - like a good murder mystery/thriller. I nearly voted for it, but then went with the one, everyone seemed to be favoring; which I have also read and listened to.

wessexgirl
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone. :) I'm new around here and just wanted to say how pleased I am to see you reading Shakespeare. I know, I can't vote. but I'd be happy to read along with you, as I am the Bard's greatest fan. TWT is not one of the plays I am familiar with, but I am willing to give it a go. I am a secondary school librarian, who hails from Shakespeare's region, (Warwickshire/West Midlands) and have visited his haunts many times. I've just shown the films of Much Ado About Nothing and A Midsummer Night's Dream to my students, who seemed to enjoy them, even though they were contemporary versions from the BBC, hopefully starting them on the road of being lifelong Shakespeare fans. :D

Virgil
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone. :) I'm new around here and just wanted to say how pleased I am to see you reading Shakespeare. I know, I can't vote. but I'd be happy to read along with you, as I am the Bard's greatest fan. TWT is not one of the plays I am familiar with, but I am willing to give it a go. I am a secondary school librarian, who hails from Shakespeare's region, (Warwickshire/West Midlands) and have visited his haunts many times. I've just shown the films of Much Ado About Nothing and A Midsummer Night's Dream to my students, who seemed to enjoy them, even though they were contemporary versions from the BBC, hopefully starting them on the road of being lifelong Shakespeare fans. :D

Welcome Wessexgirl. I'm glad you found lit net and will be joining us. You have until June 15th to vote. If you play some games, you'll get over 50 posts in no time. And then you can vote. :) Either way, I'm glad you will be reading along.

I am really surprised to see so many votes now for "King Richard II". I read all of the History plays and much prefer "Henry V" and "Richard III." I have "Richard III" on audio CD and listened to it now many times over. I love that play - it is so dynamic - like a good murder mystery/thriller. I nearly voted for it, but then went with the one, everyone seemed to be favoring; which I have also read and listened to.

Janine, while I prefer Henry V over all the history plays, I think prefer Richard II over Richard III. There is such marvelous poetry in Richard II and while the character of RIII may be more interesting than RII to some, RII is pretty fascnating too. RIII is evil, so he is engaging that way, but I find the complex nature of RII more interesting.

CognitiveArtist
06-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi CognitiveArtist, good to hear the play would be within your season; that is right - you'd be just opposite the US and all others in the Northern Hemisphere.
Can you order from Amazon online? I bought my audio CD set from there and it was reasonable. I think I used an independent seller and made sure they had good feedback, also it was sealed and new. I love the set I have. I like all of the Arkangel series. Nowdays, also online they have downloads, so you don't have to physically get a hold of the CD's, just pay a fee and download the play. I will check into it for you.
The play "Titus Andronicus" was discussed a while back on this site. I don't know how long it lasted because I know a lot of people found it totally violent. I would be one of those and I dropped out. I agree - it is his worst work, but many would probably disagree with my assessment - to each his own, right?

Greetings Janine :) Yep, over hear in Australia we'll be in winter experiencing the coldest temperatures from June to August. Although in Melbourne it is said to have "four seasons in one day", so The Winter's Tale may not be fitting on many days.
I think Amazon ships to Australia, so I could obtain their products in a couple of weeks. I desire to obtain a number of audio cds or perhaps downloads of the audio books, but as a student I won't in the near future be able to afford what I want.
As I'm yet to read Titus Andronicus I'm going off the opinions I've gathered that it is his worst play. I hope it is, or I'll be disappointed not having read his worst lol.

bej6s
06-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a tie? And how would you then determine what the book will be for that month? I vaguely remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Scheherazade
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a tie? And how would you then determine what the book will be for that month? I vaguely remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now.We flip a coin.

And now, all together...

Dashing through the snow
On a one-horse open sleigh,
Over the fields we go,
Laughing all the way;
Bells on bob-tail ring,
Making spirits bright,
What fun it is to ride and sing
A sleighing song tonight.

Ludmila607
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Shakespeare is not an isolated phenomenon; if we study him , as we should, in the ligh od his predecessors and associates, our understanding is much increaased , although we do not cease to marvel.Seen against such figures as Greene, Marlowe, jonson, Beaumont and Fletchter, Webster, ford and othrs of equal or less distinction, he reamins a colosus, but noy an inexplicable one.Roundly speaking , one may say that Greene and his felows evolved the style of what was to become Shaksprean drama , and that Marlowe fixed it.The form of the Latter s Edward ll is familiar to us in Shakesperean histories , and the verse of his Tambourline The Great has some said , a more than Shakesperean surge end thunder.Ben Jonson, a scholarly writer of masques as well as plays an a poet with sardonic turn of wit, brought the comedy of typs from Roman times to the theatre of his ays with The Alchemist , Every Man in his Humour and Volpone , the prolific collaboration of Beaumont and Fletcher, marking a post Shakesperean stage in the drama s evolution , yielded a rich vein of romance in THE FAITHFUL SHEPERDESS and THE MAIDS TRAGEDY and did not disdain to burlesque its own school in th Knight of the Burning Pestle ; and in such sombre plays as the Duchess of Malfi and The Broken Heart the devil haunted genious of Webster and Ford plumbs the very depth of passion, cruelty and Pity.It is a charge against our later theatre that, bemussed by Shakespeare s splendourit has somewhat neglected the secondary luminaries of this Constellation".......
from The British Theatre by Bridges Adams
director of the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre
since 1919- 34
read it , wont regret [/size]

Janine
06-08-2008, 03:54 PM
What now? There seems to be a tie.

papayahed
06-08-2008, 04:06 PM
What now? There seems to be a tie.

ahhh, I haven't voted yet.:D

Janine
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Here is some interesting information I found on A Winter's Tale online at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter's_Tale

Even thought some say this play is a comedy, this article states that it was contains many philsophical elements and often seen as a romance.

So Payayahed, which will it be tragedy (MB) or comedy (AW'sT)?

Quark
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I gave Winter's Tale a nudge because I actually haven't read that play, yet, and I've wanted to read it for a while now. I hope I just untied the poll for good.

Charles Darnay
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Here is some interesting information I found on A Winter's Tale online at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter's_Tale

Even thought some say this play is a comedy, this article states that it was contains many philsophical elements and often seen as a romance.

So Payayahed, which will it be tragedy (MB) or comedy (AW'sT)?

In the original 1623 Folio, Winter's Tale was placed at the bottom of the comedy list, just Tempest is on the top of the comedy list and Cymbeline is at the bottom (that or top, but I think bottom) of the tragedy list. These three plays (along with Two Noble Kinsmen and Pericles (whihc are not in the Folio)) are now more often classified as Romances. They are also classified as tragicomedies - which could explain why they were placed on the boundaries of the folio.

Winter's Tale is called by one critic - the most perfect example of tragicomedy - for the play is divided in half, between the lines of tragedy and comedy. Just another reason why it is such an intriguing play!

Janine
06-09-2008, 01:43 AM
In the original 1623 Folio, Winter's Tale was placed at the bottom of the comedy list, just Tempest is on the top of the comedy list and Cymbeline is at the bottom (that or top, but I think bottom) of the tragedy list. These three plays (along with Two Noble Kinsmen and Pericles (whihc are not in the Folio)) are now more often classified as Romances. They are also classified as tragicomedies - which could explain why they were placed on the boundaries of the folio.

Winter's Tale is called by one critic - the most perfect example of tragicomedy - for the play is divided in half, between the lines of tragedy and comedy. Just another reason why it is such an intriguing play!

Charles Darney, this is a good addition to the article (the link I posted). I think the word 'tragicomedy' is a great way of describing it. I listened to this play on audio CD's about a year ago and I felt it had some very deep/ even tragic parts, which made me wonder why I have always seen it listed as a comedy. It is indeed a very intriguing play. I was hoping we would do this one because I know a second listening and a reading would definitely help this play to become clearer in meaning for me, personally.

Quark, glad you gave it a boost and voted. Great - should be a good group if that is the play that gets chosen.

sofia82
06-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder if we will flip a coin or not ;)

Morad
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
If your tribe went mad, your brain has no role :)
Winter's Tale >>>>>>>> :D

Virgil
06-09-2008, 12:25 PM
this has become some epic contest. :lol: And there's still another week to go. ;)

Janine
06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
this has become some epic contest. :lol: And there's still another week to go. ;)

Yeah, really :lol:

Would be real funny if all of a sudden some other, than the two big contenders got a bunch of votes and won.;)

sofia82
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, really :lol:

Would be real funny if all of a sudden some other, than the two big contenders got a bunch of votes and won.;)

It is not impossible!!! Guess all of a suddent a turtle comes and wins the game ;) .

DapperDrake
06-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Ahh, Macbeth is slipping behind... never mind, I'll read them both, there's plenty of time after all. Three months!

Janine
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Ahh, Macbeth is slipping behind... never mind, I'll read them both, there's plenty of time after all. Three months!

And it is not like either play is an epic in itself. These plays are not that long. This contest is longer! :lol:

Yes, this could be like the race with the turtle and the hare...:lol:

You are right, Anti, many people wait till last minute to vote. Anything is possible.

Quark
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Macbeth is a great play. I voted against it only because I'm tired of tragedy. I've been reading a book of Euripedes plays, and I'm beginning to get bored with every character exclaiming "Oh Zeus! Oh Earth! Oh Light! How miserable am I!" Maybe these outbursts are powerful the first or second time, but after the third play one starts to yawn at all this wailing. Something more controlled and more comic would be welcome.

Charles Darnay
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Macbeth is a great play. I voted against it only because I'm tired of tragedy. I've been reading a book of Euripedes plays, and I'm beginning to get bored with every character exclaiming "Oh Zeus! Oh Earth! Oh Light! How miserable am I!" Maybe these outbursts are powerful the first or second time, but after the third play one starts to yawn at all this wailing. Something more controlled and more comic would be welcome.

I can sympathize! Last year I had a long run with the three Classical tragedians (Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides) and by the time I got to Aeschylus' "The Persians", with its plethora of the word "woe" - one of the lines is actually "woe to the woeful who begets more woe" - I knew it was time for some comedy :)

Quark
06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
one of the lines is actually "woe to the woeful who begets more woe" - I knew it was time for some comedy :)

The Greeks must not have had a word for over-the-top.

I'm looking forward to Winter's Tale, though. The first couple of pages of dialogue seemed a little slow, but the beginning is never the best part. After the character introductions things should speed up.

DapperDrake
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Yeah I can understand that too, last year and this year I've been dipping into Euripides and Sophocles myself. I definitely prefer Sophocles so far though I started to get a bit bored when I got to Electra, its pretty formulaic stuff after a fashion.

Anyway Macbeth is a much richer experience, I'm sure it would be refreshing after Greek tradegy.

Janine
06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't know if we will encounter a pure comedy here in "A Winter's Tale", if you go to Wikipedia and read up about it, many call it a 'tragicomedy'; it is really not so comical until the last part of the play. Many of Shakespeare's supposed 'comedies' have some very serious and deep parts in them. I listened to this play and found some parts quite shocking actually in this play, but they are certainly interesting. Some seemed almost 'Dickens-like' in their quirpy characters. I think it definitely would be an intriguing play to discuss and one most people would not be familar with. "Macbeth" is a great play, but oh so depressing. It is nice to have a change of pace, once in awhile. Just don't expect to be holding your sides in laughter, with "A Winter's Tale"; at least that is my own opinion. Still I hope it wins and turns out to be a good discussion.

kilted exile
06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Wont be joining in with all of these, but I am a fan of his histories so will definitely be taking advantage of getting some more insight into them - despite the fact that I will do a lot more lurking than posting....

My vote went to King John, somewhat of a favourite of mine & also one that doesnt seem to be one of his most widely read/performed plays currently

aeroport
06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I voted for Macbeth, but I haven't read Winter's Tale yet, so that would be kind of cool to do as well...

Charles Darnay
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know if we will encounter a pure comedy here in "A Winter's Tale", if you go to Wikipedia and read up about it, many call it a 'tragicomedy'; it is really not so comical until the last part of the play. Many of Shakespeare's supposed 'comedies' have some very serious and deep parts in them. I listened to this play and found some parts quite shocking actually in this play, but they are certainly interesting. Some seemed almost 'Dickens-like' in their quirpy characters. I think it definitely would be an intriguing play to discuss and one most people would not be familar with. "Macbeth" is a great play, but oh so depressing. It is nice to have a change of pace, once in awhile. Just don't expect to be holding your sides in laughter, with "A Winter's Tale"; at least that is my own opinion. Still I hope it wins and turns out to be a good discussion.

I find even the "tragic" part to be comical in "The Winter's Tale" with the hyperbolic absurdities.

Kited Exile: I took hope to explore some of his histories this summer. I have only read "1 Henry IV", "Richard III" and "Henry V" - I hope to read King John and Richard II because I have heard good things about those two.

Virgil
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I've never read King John. I'm hoping to use this thread to fill in all the plays I've missed. Richard II is excellent by the way. I prefer it over Richard III. Both Henry IV plays are very good, but my favorite is Henry V.

Janine
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I've never read King John. I'm hoping to use this thread to fill in all the plays I've missed. Richard II is excellent by the way. I prefer it over Richard III. Both Henry IV plays are very good, but my favorite is Henry V.

Virgil, you like the noble Richard II and I like the devious Richard III; how funny...and you are always the Mad, Bad and Dangerous one. My favorite of all the histories though, is Henry V. I did enjoy the second part of Henry IV, because it concentrates on young Prince Hal and leads us into Henry V; plus to have the added character of Falstaff is the plus there and who can beat him? It is best to read all the histories in order I think. I did that - most notable to me was Richard II, Henry IV, Henry V, and Richard III. Those four interested me the most, although I did read them all I believe.

I find even the "tragic" part to be comical in "The Winter's Tale" with the hyperbolic absurdities.

That is true; there are a lot of hyperbolic absurdities in "The Winter's Tale". Maybe it is kind of a black comedy at times!

Kited Exile: I took hope to explore some of his histories this summer. I have only read "1 Henry IV", "Richard III" and "Henry V" - I hope to read King John and Richard II because I have heard good things about those two.

From what I recall, I think I least liked "King John" of all the histories; but, I honestly can't remember why that is. Maybe, I thought it was a little dull compared to the others.

Scheherazade
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Last couple of days to vote!

Janine
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Two days left, right? I keep checking in, but seems this poll has gone on forever - probably just feels that way, since I am anxious to see which it will be.:lol:

sofia82
06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I hope in these two days, no shocking change happens :D

Scheherazade
06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Going once...

Nightshade
06-14-2008, 09:38 PM
so when do we start then?