PDA

View Full Version : Relevant to todays times

Tiny Dancer
05-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Hey everyone, I am writing an essay (we had to choose our own topic) in English class on Pride and Prejudice. We also had to write a question which we will explore and answer in our essay.
The question I have chosen is-
Are the themes in Pride and Prejudice applicable to todays times as they were 150 years ago?
If you could give me a kick start in the right direction i would really appreciate it.. I have just discovered this site, it is amazing! :yawnb:

sofia82
05-26-2008, 07:04 AM
First of all can you say what are the themes (or a theme) you want to explore? Do you have any idea about the theme yourself?

Tiny Dancer
05-26-2008, 07:26 AM
ok well.. I have
views on marriage/relationships, pride, prejudice, first impressions, social status (in society),
These are what i have gathered up until this point. As you can see I am going for all the themes instead of just one in particular.

sofia82
05-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh, a problem. If i want to apply those themes to the society i live in i think they are the same even nowadays, but the case is different with other countries

Tiny Dancer
05-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Ah yes.. i understand.
Well i could definitly include that in my discussion. How it varies around the world. Would you be able to give your opinion on my topic about your part of the world? :idea:

sofia82
05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Ok. Most of the time if a girl wants to get married (cause i want to talk mostly on Elizabeth), she prefers to choose a husband from the class at least the same as her family or higher than hers, even choosing just a boyfriend. it is the same case with guys, too. Now imagine there is love in the relationship, because of strict social norms, if the two won't be from the same class, (from any aspect money, culture, education ...), of course, they can get married denying the norms, there will be some problems in their future life.

By the way, if you ask in detail i can explain more.

Tiny Dancer
05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow thank you.. I really appreciate you giving your time to help me. If it isn't too much trouble do you think you could go into more detail for me?

sofia82
05-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Can you ask questions in detail and i see if i can answer them. I am not good in explaining something in general as i don't know to explain about which aspect.

Tiny Dancer
05-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Ok well..
Have the opinions and views on marriage shared in Pride and Prejudice the same as they are today.
I.e. Charlotte and Mr. Collins - do people still marry for a stable marriage, even though they may not love each other.
Mr. Whickham and Lydia - Would the circumstances under which they married be considered a scandel now a days.

Social Status..
Is there such thing as social ranks now a days. Are people judged by their jobs, income, family? As they are in Pride and Prejudice. Have such views changed?

Pride..
Do people take pride in the same things as people did in the Jane Austen era. In talents, money, connections.

Prejudice..
Are people more open minded or even more close minded to what they were 150 years ago. Is society more accepting then it was?

Family..
Do family play the same role as they did in Pride and Prejudice? Do they mean the same thing. Are they less important or more important? why?

This is just what i've got from the top of my head.. is it ok?

Thanks for the help! :p

sofia82
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Now it is better as it is in detail, i will write the answers and then send It.

Tiny Dancer
05-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Thank you so much!!