PDA

View Full Version : Essay Due Friday!!!

aechick042
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Alright, I am trying to get through my English 2 class and I have an essay on The Tragedy of Julius Caesar due Friday 5/23. The theme we have to write about is 'power'. I've started a bit, but everything I seem to write comes out wrong...could anyone help me on some assertions maybe?? Anything would help me at this point. Please and thank you!! :D

jgweed
05-21-2008, 06:03 AM
"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Discuss how the characters in JC illustrate Lord Acton's epigram.

Eilidh
05-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Your essay was probably due long ago now, but for others who might need some help and are doing similar projects/essays:

Power went to Caesar's head - "I am Caesar". Nobody fears him, and so he tells "what is to be feared". He got murdered, now didn't he.
Even his wife Portia says: "Your wisdom is consumed in confidence".
Caesar thinks himself as valiant "...the valiant never taste of death but once".

Power somewhat went to Brutus's head - he took the leadership of the conspirators without even realizing it. And he always took his own decision, because he always thought they were right; ignoring Cassius's ideas. And so he made many grave mistakes.

Antony becomes arrogant himself when he tastes power. He thinks it's best to remove Lepidus from the triumvirate, and uses his own power to modify the will. Also, to Octavius he declares "I have seen more days than you".

Luckily, Octavius stands up for himself, mainly at the battlefield. He takes the right side of the field, and keeps Brutus's body in his own tent. It shows how Octavius will become the new Caesar, and even Antony at one point calls him so.

You may not see a direct connection to power with each of these examples as some are quite subtle.

However, as each of these characters faced important roles (as leaders etc) they became arrogant and overconfident.

These are only a few ideas and you'll need to expand on them yourself. And make sure that even if the essay title asks you to discuss the role of power, to link the theme of power to other important themes e.g. deceit. There is much interconnection in this play, so you should get credited for combining them.