PDA

View Full Version : juliuscaesar

dave cruce
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
i need to find a way to compare barack obama to julius caeser in shakespeares play, if possible?

catfishrushdie
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
My name is Catfish Rushdie. Nice to be here.

catfishrushdie
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Very difficult- Caesar came from an old political family and had the most extraordinary long military career as a general. Not so Barack, a relative newbie, and if we are to take him at face value, no imperialist, utterly unlike Caesar.

TrooperW
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
This comparison is difficult, and any connections might be regarded as a bit far-fetched.

Caesar is a member of the populares faction, similar to men like Marius and the Gracchi brothers. In other words, he supports the common people of Rome, and is popular amongst the masses. Whether Caesar genuinely wanted to help the masses is a matter of historical debate. Remember, many populares, often used the mob as a means to power (Marius as seven times consul comes to mind). Regardless, he is identified as a populares by both ancient Romans and historians. His opponents, the old guard of Rome's patrician clans or staunch believers of the Republic, are the optimates.

Anyway, it is still hard to compare Caesar, as a populares to Obama. Let's put it this way: Obama won't be crossing any Rubicon with an army behind him.

Phangirl7
02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I had to read this 2 years ago in my English II class. The one line I really remember is Ceaser's "Et, Tu, Brute?," right before he dies. I didn't like it as much as some others I've read.
P.G.7.

byquist
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Some might call him a Brutus, some might call him a Cassius.

As far as Caesar, hmm. There is no proof that Caesar has any other intention but the good of Rome, even if he has a swelled head (and he may not -- but doesn't he sort of call himself by the impersonal "we"? Maybe not, can't recall. Othello does -- talks about himself in the impersonal.) Obama certainly has a quiet relish of power, maybe even a great relish inside. Perhaps he and Caesar share an inscrutability -- at least at the moment. But, for Obama, now is the execution of the Presidency, which does not allow afoofness or detatched superiority. It requires involvement; involvement in problems; getting ones hands dirty. We shall see if he even wants to get in the thick of it. He may prefer professorial detatchment, since his roots spring from academia. Academia plus community organizing.

Also, check out Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, when thinking about Obama/Caesar dealing with America/Rome. Also of Coriolanus, who is in the thick of chaos. Obama is yet "teflon" for the moment with a 70% approval rating (maybe), but the plebeians can change fast.