PDA

View Full Version : A Doll's House Alternate Ending

djdanboy
05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey, I just recently read the play A Doll's House. I did some research and found out that there was an alternate ending to the book that Ibsen had to write. I am just curious, what are your opinions on the alternate ending. If you would like to hear mine, I think it was horrible, there is no sense for Nora to stay. I think its a good that she leave, she can change.

Remarkable
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I haven't read the alternate ending,but if it has to do with Nora staying,then ther is no point in the play.The whole story is created for Nora's emancipation and for the message to be given,she has to go...Why would Ibsen change it?I am trying to put it in scene right now,I'm the director(class director)and I'm thinking of ways to make her departure more obvious and dramatic.Staying is pointless...

mazz
05-17-2008, 11:05 PM
I cheated and watched the movie just now,(with Clare Bloom). Staying is pointless you say, she has three children and for what it's worth time spent in the marriage. I agree that she feels she needs to leave, but how brave a decision, don;t you think? I don't wish for an alternate ending only to find out what becomes of their characters, does Torvald become bitter and does Nora regret the loss of her children.

Gladys
05-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Ibsen described his altered ending for the first German production as a "barbaric outrage".

Nora needs flee the fantasy of a doll's house.

kiz_paws
02-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey, I just recently read the play A Doll's House. I did some research and found out that there was an alternate ending to the book that Ibsen had to write. I am just curious, what are your opinions on the alternate ending. If you would like to hear mine, I think it was horrible, there is no sense for Nora to stay. I think its a good that she leave, she can change.

I never knew of an alternate ending -- this is weird news, I liked the original play as it was written.

Janine
02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
I just bought a series of Isben plays on film. So far they all have been excellent. I was entirely engrossed with "A Doll's House"; I can't envision any other ending except the one that Ibsen wrote. If anyone would like to discuss these plays individually, I would love to do so. I could start an Ibsen play thread. Let me know if any of you are interested in more indepth discussion.

Hotaru
02-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Ibsen had to tone it down a bit because of the controversial impact, I mean, Germany, or pretty much whole europe believed that the stereotypical marriage was one of the ground pillars of society. There is actually another version, a T.V addaption from Iraq I think, that portrays Nora leaving, taking the chrildren with her.

Gladys
02-06-2009, 06:26 AM
I could start an Ibsen play thread. Let me know if any of you are interested in more indepth discussion. Count me in, Janine. I'm currently waiting for "Emperor and Galilean" on interlibrary loan.

Janine
02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Count me in, Janine. I'm currently waiting for "Emperor and Galilean" on interlibrary loan.

Gladys, that is great. I will let you know when I start a thread. My DVD collection does not have that particular play; I hadn't heard of it actually - is it suppose to be a major one?

My boxed set has these: Brand, A Doll's House, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, The Wild Duck, Hedda Gabler, The Lady and the Sea, The Master Builder, When We Dead Awaken. I was hoping to watch the play, as well as read it.

So far I have watched these: A Doll's House, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, Hedda Gabler, and The Master Builder. They were all excellent!

Wait, I spoke too soon so I am editing. Seems the Extra Features do include some radio plays and one is 'Emperor and Galilean.' I will have to check it out. There are actually 8 radio plays. This set was well worth the money.

Gladys
02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
So far I have watched these: Brand, A Doll's House, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, Hedda Gabler, and The Master Builder. They were all excellent! Ibsen is wonderful and so subtle. But 'Ghosts' is beyond me.

As I read each play last year, Janine, I opened a new thread for most of the plays on your Ibsen DVD: Discussion on Specific Authors & Books > Author List: > Ibsen, Henrik (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2480). Having so few replies, I was disappointed how little interest there seemed in 'the father of the modern play' and perhaps the greatest playwright besides Shakespeare.

Janine
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Aha, so you did; I just looked over the full listing. I didn't even notice them before this; please forgive me, Gladys. To be honest with you, at the time I may not have owned the set, or was it after I did mention it in the movie thread? We could take one of the plays and discuss it this month. Maybe we could take one of the ones that I have seen on my DVD; then it would not take me so long to begin. I didn't realise just how amazing Ibsen was until I bought this set. They are fine BBC productions. The reason I bought the set, I must confess, is that I heard that Kenneth Branagh played in "Ghost" along with Judy Dench, so I had to see it. Natashia Richardson is also in it and it is an amazing play - very intense. I saw two versions of "The Master Builder". That was truly unique. I would love to discuss any one of these or "A Doll's House" with you. I saw another production awhile ago of "Enemy of the People". I thought all the plays were great. So pick one and I would be glad to go to your thread and start discussing it. I am sure if we two did so, others would find the thread interesting.

Gladys
02-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Of the plays you've seen , Janine, I am most interested in Brand, A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, and The Master Builder. Though I'm more than happy to discuss any.

Janine
02-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Of the plays you've seen , Janine, I am most interested in Brand, A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, and The Master Builder. Though I'm more than happy to discuss any.

Oh good, Gladys; only one I did not watch yet, which was 'Brand', (that was my mistake listing it above - edited since) so any of the others is fine. I saw two versions of 'The Master Builder', that was quite interesting, sort of surreal. I think of all, I loved 'The Doll's House' the best so far; I've actually read that one, as well. But the all are good I am sure. You want to pick, between the three I viewed?

Gladys
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
I saw two versions of 'The Master Builder', that was quite interesting, sort of surreal. I think of all, I loved 'The Doll's House' the best so far; I've actually read that one, as well. But the all are good I am sure. You want to pick, between the three I viewed? 'The Master Builder' is a hymn of joy. 'The Dolls House', like "Enemy of the People", seems more straightforward and approachable, but I like to look more closely. 'Hedda Gabler' is the most difficult but well worth the effort: I like to spend even more.

How about 'The Master Builder'?

The Master Builder (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3651)

Janine
02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
'The Master Builder' is a hymn of joy. 'The Dolls House', like "Enemy of the People", seems more straightforward and approachable, but I like to look more closely. 'Hedda Gabler' is the most difficult but well worth the effort: I like to spend even more.

How about 'The Master Builder'?

The Master Builder (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3651)

Gladys, Sounds great! The play truly fascinated me. I have lots of questions, too. I found it to be very unique. I will go to the link now. Not doing a Lawrence short story this month to tie me up, so doing a play will be great. I am in a 'play' sort of mood lately.

Just got back from your link and copied the introduction and will read it today. Pretty interesting so far. I will also check and see if there a discussion link already started for the play. Let's take the play in stages and really study it in depth.

Dori
02-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I just bought a series of Isben plays on film. So far they all have been excellent. I was entirely engrossed with "A Doll's House"; I can't envision any other ending except the one that Ibsen wrote. If anyone would like to discuss these plays individually, I would love to do so. I could start an Ibsen play thread. Let me know if any of you are interested in more indepth discussion.

Count me in, Janine. I'm currently waiting for "Emperor and Galilean" on interlibrary loan.

Count me in too. I read Ibsen's A Doll House today, and it was exquisite. :thumbs_up

Janine
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Count me in too. I read Ibsen's A Doll House today, and it was exquisite. :thumbs_up

Great, Dori, glad you will join our discussion group. I am waiting for Gladys to get back to me about the thread. She had started some threads in the actual Ibsen section of this site; not sure if she will use those or a new one. I would like to see a general thread on Ibsen plays; that way maybe we can do one every couple months; say two months for each or even one a month. What do you think of the idea?

Yes, "A Doll's House" is an 'exquisite' play. I read it years ago and was impressed; I watched it recently on my DVD. It was so dynamic to see acted out on the screen. The BBC set I bought is a great value and a good tool to better understanding the subtlies of these plays and characters. I hope we can discuss it in the thread. First we agreed to discuss "The Master Builder". It is a complex play, but very interesting.

I will let you know when we get started.

Gladys
02-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Great, Dori, glad you will join our discussion group. I am waiting for Gladys to get back to me about the thread. Dori and Janine, here's my suggestion. Since there are so few threads on the Ibsen web page, Ibsen, Henrik (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2480), I suggest we post to and monitor (as I do daily) the forums listed. Feel free to post to any of these forums.

To get the ball rolling, this afternoon I posted a new thread Inspiration for the Play (www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=670151#post670151) on 'The Master Builder' forum.

Janine
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Dori and Janine, here's my suggestion. Since there are so few threads on the Ibsen web page, Ibsen, Henrik (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2480), I suggest we post to and monitor (as I do daily) the forums listed. Feel free to post to any of these forums.

To get the ball rolling, this afternoon I posted a new thread Inspiration for the Play (www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=670151#post670151) on 'The Master Builder' forum.

OK, good, Gladys. I just wonder if others who don't know of this play, will find it as an Ibsen thread; but then again the title may make people curious enough to check it out. I found my book last night, so I can read the play by the weekend. I can't do any better than that right now. I have a busy week ahead of me. I will check out your specific thread now. We should let Dori know as well.