PDA

View Full Version : Gaskell's North And South!!!

prowesse
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
What is the significance of moving from Helstone to Milton in Elizabeth Gaskell's North And South?

1. A chance of changibility for Margarate's ideas.
2. Implied condemnation of the rigidity of clergymen.
3. Discovery of other morals of the north.
4. Change in the interest of Victorian people.

Could you choose the fittest, please?

Guinivere
07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I would say the meaning of the move lies between one and three. As the title implies Gaskell depicts the diversity of period England, not only the gentry and London-ish types. But foremost the working class people of the North. And we see their life and work in Margrets attitude and character. She finads friendship and genuine understanding with these people be they worker or mill owner.

Lioness_Heart
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I think that it serves several purposes. Primarily, though, Margaret is exposed to very different people and situations, and through her sheltered innocence, Gaskell is making a comment on the differences in society between north and south. Margaret is forced to change her opinions quite radically, and we see the flaws in her character too, in her rigid adherence to the social norms of the south. Although the south is always portrayed in a gentle, kindly light, by the end, the society in the south seems superficial and petty (also, in comparison to the true living conditions in London at that time, unrealistic). However, the north grows in its appeal in the novel, as Margaret begins to view it as her home, and sees that for all the differences, the north too has positive attributes. The mixture of her genteel southern values and the north as portrayed in the novel in the end seems optimal - perhaps a message that by appreciating differences, and working together, people will enhance their quality of life?

Perhaps this is a slight indictment by Gaskell on society of the time, which was, as in the novel, dominated by the South. Is Gaskell trying to make her readers more socially aware (appreciating that the working classes were not as often viewed at the time), and put aside their social prejudices?

Guinivere
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Perhaps this is a slight indictment by Gaskell on society of the time, which was, as in the novel, dominated by the South. Is Gaskell trying to make her readers more socially aware (appreciating that the working classes were not as often viewed at the time), and put aside their social prejudices?

I think that her portrayal of both world, the industrial north and the country gentry of the south, is a great achievement for a female writer of her time. When I think of other women writers I think leading subjects are love, pride, passion (Austen or the Brontes). Gaskell finds space for the love of her two main characters but manages to make most of the novel a portrait of the hard working and living conditions for most of the people living at that time. I think she does face social prejudices and tackles those issues. Perhaps even making the novel an interesting read for a wider variety of readers. And if you think of all the industry in the north which people in the south, especially gentry didn't want to see or smell - it was precicely these workers who contributed to the British industry and thus making it possible for others to live a quiet country live.

And when we look at the Hales. As far as we know Mr Hale has only a few other students apart from Mr Thornton. Of course he lectures at the community hall, but surely that doesn't bring in much money. They are very fortunate to be able to live on his earnings.

supergran
05-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Although the south is always portrayed in a gentle, kindly light, by the end, the society in the south seems superficial and petty (also, in comparison to the true living conditions in London at that time, unrealistic).
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I also think this "genteel" view of the south is unrealistic and reflects Margaret's naivety and "rose-coloured" perspective. There was much unrest in the agricultural south in the nineteenth century. Has anyone heard of the Swing Riots? I've taken an interest in this subject because my ancestors were farm labourers in Sussex at that time.
As for London, particularly in the East and the City, life was very hard. Pre London sewers, this was the time of cholera and "The Big Stink"!
Finally, as much as I love the BBC production, it showed a very sanitised view of Manchester (Milton) which would have been a hellhole!

wordeater
09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
3. Discovery of other morals of the north.

I would pick this one. It shows the contrast between the rural South and the industrial North, and the differences in social structure that brings with it.