PDA

View Full Version : Self-Fulfilling Prophesy

Dark Muse
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
To me this story seemed almost to be about a self-fulfilling prophesy in someway's. Marcher, held this belief that this great and terrible event was going to come into his life, and so he ultimately ends up being the cause of his own distress by wasting away his life waiting for this "thing" to happen to him, and ultimately the "thing" that had happened to him was his waiting for it to happen instead of actually leaving his life.

If he had never had the notion or sense of this "thing" to start with, than he might have had a different perspective, and thus it would not have happened, because he would not have spent his whole life just waiting for it to happen.

Virgil
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
It's been a while since I read it Muse, and I think very highly of this story, one of my all time favorites, but from what I remember the point was that he wasted his life waiting for this great event to change his life while in front of him was the person who could have changed his life. He let the opportunity go by and missed the great event. Or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Dark Muse
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes that is correct, but the way I see it, if he never beleived in the idea of this "Great event" than he would not have spent his life waiting for it, and so he might have acutally lived his life, instead of waiting for life to come to him. And he was always worried that it would be a terrible thing that would visit him, and in that regaurd he sort of wrote his own fate.

Nightshade
05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Your rembering it correctly virg, Ive been reading this ( my first for the litnet challanege -see my blog) anyway I dont think it is SFP becausethat would involve what he ios expecting to happen happen, in fact its the very antithesis of self forfilling prophecy because although he expects the disater it never comes , instead he is constantly waiting for the SFP to kick in.
:D

Virgil
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks Muse and Night.

Yes that is correct, but the way I see it, if he never beleived in the idea of this "Great event" than he would not have spent his life waiting for it, and so he might have acutally lived his life, instead of waiting for life to come to him. And he was always worried that it would be a terrible thing that would visit him, and in that regaurd he sort of wrote his own fate.

I would agree with this.