PDA

View Full Version : Isolation in Dracula

Wordsmiths
05-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Im writting an exam on the portrayal of isolation in the novel and already im looking at locational isolation ie the castle being secluded also i looked at Harker being isolated within the castle. finally im looking at Dracula being isolated from the rest of the world as he differs from everyone any other things im missing?

Buh4Bee
11-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Given dated nature of the OP, I will just add to this discussion as other may come to use it for reference later. Anyway, I think the above list is quite sound. I would also add to the list the isolation of Mina. She began to experience this as the infection took hold of her. Both the hunting party and Mina knew that if she became dangerous that she would have to be euthanized. She also was further excluded from group conversations, since Dracula used her for information. They were clairvoyantly connected for a time. This isolationism must have been hard for Mina as well as the group as she was an active adviser to them. Isolationism is a very powerful theme in Dracula.